Camille Paglia: Lady GaGa, the death of sex

Paglia loves Madonna, although critical of her as of late.

This is a little off topic. I always enjoyed how Camille drew these far out parallels of classical figures and poets to modern pop culture icons. Below may be of interest.

Dear Camille:

Reading the essays of Jean Cocteau, I am struck by the similarity between his elaborate self-description as a celibate (and history's evidence to the contrary) and the self-promotion of the modern singer known as Morrissey. While I can't presume to know Morrissey's private life, I'm curious: Is there a long tradition of strenuously gay artists who go to great lengths to portray themselves as morose celibates? Can such a trend (if it exists) be the product of more than simple protection from societal prejudice? A flamboyantly celibate mini-genre?

A real-life, albeit unwilling, celibate

Her response, scroll down a little bit:
http://www.salon.com/march97/columnists/paglia970304.html

This is even more OT, but Camille Paglia is in the title of the thread, so:

Even in this little snippet, Paglia can't help but take a shot at feminist/queer academia. As if feminist academics were somehow covering up or ignoring the issue of celibacy. I had issues with some "gender studies" types, but spare me. The solitary wise woman was as much an honored archetype as anything else. These issues were discussed in my uber-liberal womens' studies classes. "Ideological bias and uncholarly amateurism," please. My teacher was an Indian woman, and every year she went home and worked with one of the most impoverished, socially disenfranchised group of women on the planet. I'll never forget her wise, unflinching dedication to the narrative and history of the forgotten women of this world.

But I always forget - Camille Paglia, alone among all women, understood the true feminist dilemma. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
In some ways they are much better off. My best friend in High School was a lesbian, and she had nowhere to go, no immediate community, and a family that was woefully ignorant. There was a terrible sense of isolation and shame that is probably inconceivable today. Progress!
do you know about ger whereabouts nowadays?

I'm happy to hear that. I found a friend from high school on Facebook, and she's in a similar situation. The weird thing is that she found her rightful place faster than I found mine, when I was the one "in the right" back then.

Back
Top Bottom