Caligula would have blushed

duchess_of_fork

I dislike analyzing/trying to find definite meaning in lyrics...but the more I listen to Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (upon finding a new job, I find it more relevant in my life than ever before), the reference to Caligula makes me wonder if the person who says "you've been in the house too long" is Morrissey's sister, as well as the one who asked him something at the end of the day...well not "him" (I know he doesn't always neccessarily write about HIMSELF..even though it is in first person). Caligula is notorious for having inscestuous relationships with his sisters... and the fact that the "she" in the song refers to "the house" not "your house" makes me feel like it is a person that shares the house with the "I" of the song.

If it in fact is about Morrissey's sister...that would make it very odd. I am not implying anything...poets like to take sexual perversions in order to metaphorically describe their relationships with certain people I suppose...
Thoughts/feelings/hatemail?

i like that line in the song so much
because it is naughty and whenever i am in the room with someone that i have done 'stuff' with i tend to sing it out loud when i play the song
and the girls that react to such tend to be better in bed than the those that do not
with those that blush being best :)

does that answer your question? :o
wait, there was no question :confused:

i like that line in the song so much
because it is naughty and whenever i am in the room with someone that i have done 'stuff' with i tend to sing it out loud when i play the song
and the girls that react to such tend to be better in bed than the those that do not
with those that blush being best :)

does that answer your question? :o

I like the version from The World Still Won't Listen with the punk rock covers and they changed the line to:

What she asked of me at the end of the day
Ron Jeremy would have blushed

I like the version from The World Still Won't Listen with the punk rock covers and they changed the line to:

Can any of you tell me who is Ron Jeremy? :confused:

wow, i do not know that one...
&
Can any of you tell me who is Ron Jeremy? :confused:
R0.jpg

he is the one on the left not the right :rolleyes:

ha i didnt know that. thats funny.

ron jeremy is so gross to look at :eek: only because i cant imagine why anyone would want to do him...:eek: :eek: yes i know why they do...but...ew

sorry duchess, back to the topic

Sorry duchess. :o

Robby, I asked what Ron Jeremy do for living, not how he looks.
I easily guessed he's not a very complimentary figure.

well, i didn't ask a direct question. but you could comment on whether you DO or DO NOT think that it is possible that the "she" of the song is in fact morrissey's sister.

and HOW did ron jeremy ever creep into this conversation (answer: just as he always does.....)...big penis- so what? it's an ugly organ anyway. i speak for all of those who are happy to have their genitals INSIDE of them.

Hurm, could be, though I've always taken it to be a reference to Caligula's habit of ordering people to commit suicide, i.e. "even Caligula would've drawn the line at asking me to leave the house and work at this hellhole!"

I'm not completely sure this is historically accurate. It is so far as I know, but all my Roman history comes from I, Claudius - then again, Moz' might too. :D

well, i didn't ask a direct question. but you could comment on whether you DO or DO NOT think that it is possible that the "she" of the song is in fact morrissey's sister.

and HOW did ron jeremy ever creep into this conversation (answer: just as he always does.....)...big penis- so what? it's an ugly organ anyway. i speak for all of those who are happy to have their genitals INSIDE of them.
but morrissey's has a penis!

i don't think it is really.....i always thought it was that 'linder' women he was writing about?
i think morrissey was using Caligula as just a reference for someone that is quite infamous for being 'naughty' in the old sex dept., so saying he would blush, is saying the lady in the song, wanted to get up to some very saucy stuff with steven morrissey ( like you would say no, Duchess;) )!

but morrissey's has a penis!

i don't think it is really.....i always thought it was that 'linder' women he was writing about?
i think morrissey was using Caligula as just a reference for someone that is quite infamous for being 'naughty' in the old sex dept., so saying he would blush, is saying the lady in the song, wanted to get up to some very saucy stuff with steven morrissey ( like you would say no, Duchess;) )!

morrissey is also a divine creature...i am sure that his creator was a bit more aesthetically aware than the one who made all of us, humans...

i wouldn't say no, how could i!?!!?!

I dislike analyzing/trying to find definite meaning in lyrics...but the more I listen to Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (upon finding a new job, I find it more relevant in my life than ever before), the reference to Caligula makes me wonder if the person who says "you've been in the house too long" is Morrissey's sister, as well as the one who asked him something at the end of the day...well not "him" (I know he doesn't always neccessarily write about HIMSELF..even though it is in first person). Caligula is notorious for having inscestuous relationships with his sisters... and the fact that the "she" in the song refers to "the house" not "your house" makes me feel like it is a person that shares the house with the "I" of the song.

If it in fact is about Morrissey's sister...that would make it very odd. I am not implying anything...poets like to take sexual perversions in order to metaphorically describe their relationships with certain people I suppose...
Thoughts/feelings/hatemail?

Incest with his sister is only subscribed to in popular culture, thank you Bob Guccione. Suetonius is the only Roman historian who's history on Caligvla has survived, and Suetonius is not considered to be very accurate. If you read in the original latin he makes innuendo to a oddly close relationship with Drucilla his sister but never outright says incecst.

I was quite the Roman and Etruscan history buff in my youth.

The key question is if Morrissey's knowledge on subject includes the incest story. I honestly think you are reading far too deeply in into. He could have said "Madonna would have blushed" I am going to assume that Caligvla was fresh in his mind because of a popular mini-series in the UK at the time, I Claudius.

One of the things Morrissey would always ask fans back in the 80s was what is your favorite Smiths song and least favorite. I remember once Morrissey responded don't read too deeply into that one... For the life of me I forgot which song. I do remember telling him that oscillate wildly was my least favorite Smiths song and him giving an aproving snicker.

I think this is a case to not read too much into it.

Kumo

Incest with his sister is only subscribed to in popular culture, thank you Bob Guccione. Suetonius is the only Roman historian who's history on Caligvla has survived, and Suetonius is not considered to be very accurate. If you read in the original latin he makes innuendo to a oddly close relationship with Drucilla his sister but never outright says incecst.

I was quite the Roman and Etruscan history buff in my youth.

The key question is if Morrissey's knowledge on subject includes the incest story. I honestly think you are reading far too deeply in into. He could have said "Madonna would have blushed" I am going to assume that Caligvla was fresh in his mind because of a popular mini-series in the UK at the time, I Claudius.

One of the things Morrissey would always ask fans back in the 80s was what is your favorite Smiths song and least favorite. I remember once Morrissey responded don't read too deeply into that one... For the life of me I forgot which song. I do remember telling him that oscillate wildly was my least favorite Smiths song and him giving an aproving snicker.

I think this is a case to not read too much into it.

Kumo

That's a very insightful remark Kumo! Thanks!
I read somewhere that you said you have pictures of yourself with Morrissey, could you please post them?? That would be SO cool to see!!!
<3
DOF

Back
Top Bottom