Californians - did you hide under a table yesterday?

Were they practising for when the San andreas Fault finally blows?

Oh, I did hear something about it on the radio news yesterday between the "Sarah Palin really isn't stupid" and "Housing prices will go back up after they go down more" stories.

I can't speak for everyone in California, but I don't think many people pay attention to these emergency practice drills, except for the schools and such that get made to practice them.

from the article:
"Some students and professors at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa welcomed the simulated quake as a cigarette break when classes were suspended for 10 minutes. An electronic sign urged everyone to "Stay Calm."

Others were oblivious. At Los Angeles City Hall, the drill coincided with a planning commission meeting. A guard told the packed audience of lobbyists and neighborhood activists to duck and cover. No one did."

I've never heard about this. I was always taught in school to stand in a doorway and brace my hands to the wall. I do have a coffee table but there's no way I could slither under it. Interesting! Also, if there's a quake, the safest place you could be would be outside. Preferably somewhere in the county.

Last edited:
Oh, I did hear something about it on the radio news yesterday between the "Sarah Palin really isn't stupid" and "Housing prices will go back up after they go down more" stories.

I can't speak for everyone in California, but I don't think many people pay attention to these emergency practice drills, except for the schools and such that get made to practice them.

from the article:
"Some students and professors at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa welcomed the simulated quake as a cigarette break when classes were suspended for 10 minutes. An electronic sign urged everyone to "Stay Calm."

Others were oblivious. At Los Angeles City Hall, the drill coincided with a planning commission meeting. A guard told the packed audience of lobbyists and neighborhood activists to duck and cover. No one did."

Same in Japan. We have many earthquakes, but I'm from the south where closer to Taiwan.
At school we didn't have earthquake drills at all although Taiwan often has been suffered from earthquake damages as well.

Luckily the region hasn't had a majour earthquake damages in last 100 years.

When I lived in the south of California back in the 80's, I always enjoyed the occasional earthquake.
I remember lying in bed watching the ceiling fan above me sway with tremor and thinking "that's pretty cool".

In northern Calif where I am now, "feelable quakes" don't happen that often.

I'm more concerned about the wild bear that has been getting into my trash can for the last couple of weeks.
I want to get a good picture of it, but it comes around between midnight and 3am and I'm not so eager to go outside and ask it to smile at that hour.

I do have a basket of baseballs at the ready to bounce off his head if I get the chance.

Unwanted visitors

When I lived in the south of California back in the 80's, I always enjoyed the occasional earthquake.
I remember lying in bed watching the ceiling fan above me sway with tremor and thinking "that's pretty cool".

In northern Calif where I am now, "feelable quakes" don't happen that often.

I'm more concerned about the wild bear that has been getting into my trash can for the last couple of weeks.
I want to get a good picture of it, but it comes around between midnight and 3am and I'm not so eager to go outside and ask it to smile at that hour.

I do have a basket of baseballs at the ready to bounce off his head if I get the chance.

You should contact a local animal welfare organisation to ask what you can do to prevent the bear.

Back
Top Bottom