"California Son" track listing posted on Morrissey Central

The Morrissey Covers Album - Morrissey Central
December 5, 2018

The track-list for Morrissey's California Son recording:

MORNING STARSHIP (Jobriath)
DON'T INTERRUPT THE SORROW (Joni Mitchell)
ONLY A PAWN IN THEIR GAME (Bob Dylan)
SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN (Buffy Sainte Marie)
DAYS OF DECISION (Phil Ochs)
IT'S OVER (Roy Orbison)
WEDDING BELL BLUES (Laura Nyro)
LONELINESS REMEMBERS WHAT HAPPINESS FORGETS (Dionne Warwick)
LADY WILLPOWER (Gary Puckett & the Union Gap)
WHEN YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES (Carly Simon)
LENNY'S TUNE (Tim Hardin)
SOME SAY I GOT DEVIL (Melanie)

The album is produced by Joe Chiccarelli and will be released by BMG.

That's a really peculiar selection - but I suppose I'd be disappointed if it wasn't. Some thoughts:
  • Don't Interrupt the Sorrow is sublime - one of Joni Mitchell's finest moments. I think his voice could be superb on that, but I have serious doubts whether the band can do justice to Joni's subtle, pulsating jazz
  • Three bloody awful tuneless protest songs? Really?
  • Will he sing to 'Bill' in Wedding Bell Blues?
  • Lady Willpower is a great choice - assuming the band don't muck it up
  • There's quite a lot of 60s tosh there that really hasn't worn well
  • Does he have the range to keep up with Dionne Warwick?
I am curious to hear what he's done with these, all the same. I think everything hinges on how creative the arrangements are, and whether the band have been able to rise to the challenge. Unless there's been some interesting 're-imagining', it's hard to see the point. Reserving judgement, though, for now.

Does he have the range to keep up with Dionne Warwick?

that is a tough song,they could lower the key maybe? or LP will sing or back him up on those parts ?

Does it, Chippy? Is that what think?

Calling out the hypocrisy of a washed-up, loud-mouth, off-strip Vegas karaoke chump ain’t “trash talk” little fella.

It’s common f***ing sense, for those dwelling in the realm of the cognitively sound.

Second verse? ...same as the first.

Bunch of whiny little, integrity-free, apologist felchers in the Moz camp these days. Low-ass f***ing bar on the lot of ya.

Yeah it’s what I think. I don’t expect animal rights activists to disown and attack every meat eater they know or to judge them solely on that one aspect of there being

Does he have the range to keep up with Dionne Warwick?

that is a tough song,they could lower the key maybe? or LP will sing or back him up on those parts ?

I was thinking the same. That it’s possible that this would be one of the songs she appears on

Only looking forward to 1/3 of this album...

SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN
IT'S OVER
WEDDING BELL BLUES
LADY WILLPOWER

The rest are just absolute shit. Out of all the great things he could have covered by Dylan he picks the one that screams “See? I’m not racist!” f***ing Hell.

Oh geez, he's going to sell like 200 copies of this worldwide. What the heck?

Are you saying you think morrissey wants out of his contract with bmg. That’s the only reason I can think of for making a covers album for a contractual fulfillment. If he was being forced to put out an album to end a contract I can’t imagine that he wouldn’t put out original material. Why is it so hard to believe that he just wanted to make this and did
He's perverse enough to do either.

You know what I mean. I think obviously most of the songs have significance to him and call back to his vinyl obsessing youth, and the days spending his money on 7 inch singles. I wasn't expecting anything from this decade, or even century, but this isn't the career boosting attempt at accessibility I was thinking it would be, that's for sure. He manages to defy expectations.

o_O

i dont think most of the songs were on 7". :crazy:

I can’t believe there’s no Elvis or Frank... I am so utterly disappointed in this. BUT! I am sure the album’s great. Top marks for originality!

I can’t believe there’s no Elvis or Frank... I am so utterly disappointed in this. BUT! I am sure the album’s great. Top marks for originality!

Yeah, and no NY Dolls or Ramones - ones I thought we'd see. Maybe he didn't want to repeat himself? He's covered NY Dolls, Elvis (Smiths & solo), Bowie, and Ramones live. I'm hoping at some point we hear what his connection is to each of these songs.

Sinatra would be interesting - I don't think he's ever covered him. Any song in particular you think would be a good choice? It couldn't be an obvious one.

Yeah, and no NY Dolls or Ramones - ones I thought we'd see. Maybe he didn't want to repeat himself? He's covered NY Dolls, Elvis (Smiths & solo), Bowie, and Ramones live. I'm hoping at some point we hear what his connection is to each of these songs.

Sinatra would be interesting - I don't think he's ever covered him. Any song in particular you think would be a good choice? It couldn't be an obvious one.
Have you heard the song Cycles? I think it’s from 1968. From the album of the same name. It is stunning in its simplicity and melancholy. It would be a perfect fit for Moz.
Would also love a cover of Glen Campbell’s By the Time I Get to Phoenix (also covered by Frank, btw).

Have you heard the song Cycles? I think it’s from 1968. From the album of the same name. It is stunning in its simplicity and melancholy. It would be a perfect fit for Moz.
Would also love a cover of Glen Campbell’s By the Time I Get to Phoenix (also covered by Frank, btw).

Great choice on Cycles - didn't know it but just heard it. I could totally see it as a good cover for Morrissey.

Last edited:
I reckon a classic American artists (except for one) covers album by the All-American California Son. Tim Hardin and Melanie? Blikey Uncle Steve, talk about deep cuts mate. I reckon me thinks "If I was a Carpenter" duet with Aunt Nancy would of been TOP ACE MENTAL. I reckon me thinks that you were going to cover "Under the Bridge" with John Frusciante but reckon that will come out later on the "Sunset Sound Sessions" and what the fek 'ell are you guys doing down there almost every day? Good on ya Uncle Steve mate inn nnn nnn nnn n n n n din't inn n nn n n n n it.

Moz should have copied this.

"my friends from college they're all married now
They have their houses and their lawns
They have their silent noons
Tearful nights, angry dawns
Their children hate them for the things they're not
They hate themselves for what they are
And yet they drink, they laugh
Close the wound, hide the scar"

Hopefully the sickos will listen to California Sun and get their act together.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom