"California Son" details ft. Grizzly Bear's Ed Droste, Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong, more

Morrissey Details New Album Ft. Grizzly Bear’s Ed Droste, Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong, More - Pitchfork
The covers record, California Son, also features contributions from Broken Social Scene’s Ariel Engle, Petra Haden, more

Excerpt:

Morrissey has detailed his new covers album California Love. The 12-track record is out May 24 via Etienne (Morrissey’s BMG imprint). Below, hear Moz’s cover of Roy Orbison’s “It’s Over,” featuring backing vocals by LP.

California Son, produced by Joe Chiccarelli, features a number of guests: Grizzly Bear’s Ed Droste, Broken Social Scene’s Ariel Engle, Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong, Petra Haden, Young the Giant’s Sameer Gadhia, the Regrette’s Lydia Night, and LP. Find the tracklist below.

California Son:

01 Morning Starship (Jobriath cover) [ft. Ed Droste]
02 Don’t Interrupt the Sorrow (Joni Mitchell cover) [ft. Ariel Engle]
03 Only a Pawn in Their Game (Bob Dylan cover) [ft. Petra Haden]
04 Suffer the Little Children (Buffy Sainte-Marie cover)
05 Days of Decisions (Phil Ochs cover) [ft. Sameer Gadhia]
06 It’s Over (Roy Orbison cover) [ft. LP]
07 Wedding Bell Blues (The Fifth Dimension cover) [ft. Billie Joe Armstrong and Lydia Night]
08 Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets (Dionne Warwick cover)
09 Lady Willpower (Gary Puckett cover)
10 When You Close Your Eyes (Carly Simon cover) [ft. Petra Haden]
11 Lenny’s Tune (Tim Hardin cover)
12 Some Say I Got Devil (Melanie cover)

46357_pitchfork-california-son.jpg

Grizzly Bear’s Ed Droste (David A. Smith/Getty Images), Morrissey (Brill\ullstein bild via Getty Images), Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong (Michael Kovac/Getty Images)

Link to Shore Fire Media press release posted by an anonymous person (original post):

Morrissey Unveils Momentous Collection of 1960/70s Classic Covers - 'California Son' Out May 24th on Etienne Records/BMG - Shore Fire Media
The Britpop icon’s latest will include performances with members of Green Day, The Regrettes, Grizzly Bear, Young the Giant, LP and more for the 12-song effort

Quotes from the press release:

"We love Morrissey! Morrissey's hair, and melancholy and poetic lyrics always reminded me of my dad. His version of “It’s Over” is great." - Roy Orbison, Jr.

“When I would think of Morrissey and his music it was always with great respect and appreciation as I’m sure is the case with many of his fans. However, I soon realized when I hung out with him and he played me all the songs he was putting on this record that behind this was the heart of an audiophile and a deep fan of his own musical heroes. He is well versed in so many genres and knows deep cuts of artists I thought I knew so much about. It is inspiring to see the enthusiasm and intellect he brings to people through his own musical journey." – LP

UPDATE 2:40 PM PT:

Link posted by Ugly Devil:

Why are these alt-rock musicians suddenly lining up behind Morrissey? - Fader
He’s offered his support to far-right groups, defended alleged sexual predators, and attacked the press for reporting on it. Somehow, his new album is studded with alt-rock stars.

Link posted by Famous when dead:

California Son - Morrissey Central (26 Feb, 2019)

Last edited by a moderator:
‘The record – which is to be Morrissey’s 12th solo album – has a distinct protest theme, although not from a far-right perspective, with songs by Phil Ochs (Days of Decision) and ... ’

Why should it be? the Guardian actually thinks they got Morrissey all figured out. :lbf:

But they haven’t a clue.

:cool:

I would love to get some explanations from Morrissey as to his motivation for choosing those particular songs from his favorite artists. The Dylan lyric "Just a Pawn in their Game" is so timeless, still relevant today.

Just think how awsome Central would be if Morrissey posted a video of him talking about the new album track by track! interspersed with footage of him and the band recording it in the studio!

Even if we don’t all have blue eyes...

we can still dream! :D

I would love to get some explanations from Morrissey as to his motivation for choosing those particular songs from his favorite artists. The Dylan lyric "Just a Pawn in their Game" is so timeless, still relevant today.

Last edited:
At least 3 of the artists mentioned as collaborating on California Son had music produced by or worked with Joe Chiccarelli prior which may part explain their presence.
Regards,
FWD.

(Petra Haden, Ariel Engle & Sameer Gadhia).

"Anticipation.....Is keepin' me waitin'." May 24th "Doesn't help to know you're so far away!"

At least 3 of the artists mentioned as collaborating on California Son had music produced by or worked with Joe Chiccarelli prior which may part explain their presence.
Regards,
FWD.

(Petra Haden, Ariel Engle & Sameer Gadhia).

Sure ya right.
Was rememberin' that Joe C interview from a few weeks back where he talked about bringin' in different folks he's worked with to play on records.
He's got a whole slew of folks in his rolodex.
Joe C has a real high regard for Moz, so ya know he's tryin' his best to bring in perfect fits for each instance.

Bird calls, perfected by Ronnie Ronalde, but also used by some other artists.

Funny that Billie is on Wedding Bell Blues... "Bill I love you so I always will... but kisses and love won't carry me till you marry me Bill"

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom