Buzzcocks to play gigs with Howard Devoto?

mcrickson

Reckless Endangerment
http://louderthanwar.com/featured/buzzcocks-to-play-gigs-with-howard-devoto

Buzzcocks to play 2 gigs with Howard Devoto

"Buzzcocks are planning some special gigs next year with Howard Devoto singing with them for part of the set. Our hunch is that this means both the ‘Spiral Scratch’ EP and the ‘Times Up’ demos will be getting played.

The plan seems to be that the current line up plays first, then the ‘classic’ line up that played on ‘Love Bites’ and then the gig will end with Howard Devoto coming on for ‘Spiral Scratch’.

There are two shows…

Manchester Apollo on May 25th
Brixton Academy on May 26th

tickets will be available soon from the usual places…and from gigcartel

The original Buzzcocks line up is one of the key groups of punk. They only played 11 gigs, and released one EP but their importance is massive.

We would argue that they invented punk rock DIY by putting on the two legendary Sex Pistols gigs in Manchester in the summer of 1976; they extended this by self releasing the classic 4 track ‘Spiral Scratch’ EP in January 1977. The rudimentary sound of that EP is as close as you can get to the real sound of punk rock without any major label polish. The songs were rough and ready but also complex and brilliantly constructed with Howard Devoto’s brilliantly clever lyrics and sardonic singing style so key. There is a very good argument that the whole so called ‘indie’ scene started here. Along with local artist Linder they were the creative core that provided the platform for the post punk creativity that came out of Manchester.

Howard Devoto left the band in the first week of 1977 to eventually form Magazine making him the first person to become disillusioned with punk Itslef, an act so punk rock that it’s perfect."

Not terribly sure how I feel about this..it could go either way.
What I will say, though, is that the new Magazine album, "No Thyself," is incredible.

Buzzcocks with devoto andMaher and Garvey.

This is massive, Maybe not the Smiths reforming but still,MASSIVE....

May 2012, Buzzcocks will be back to front.

Playing a very special show featuring their stuff n things and things n stuff from right now to back then, Buzzcocks will arrive at O2 Apollo Manchester on 25th May.

In a three-part evening of pure Buzzcocks entertainment, they will kick off with new and contemporary material featuring the current line-up of Pete Shelley (vocals / guitar), Steve Diggle (vocals / guitar), Chris Remington (bass guitar) and Danny Farrant (drums).

Part two sees Pete and Steve perform the United Artists classic years tunes featuring the classic line-up of Shelley / Diggle and Steve Garvey (bass guitar) and John Maher (drums) before the evenings proceedings will be brought to a clamouring close in part three by Pete, Steve, and John being joined on stage for the first time in over 33 years by original co-founder and front man, Howard Devoto!

Performing the four tracks featured on the bands debut Spiral Scratch EP : Breakdown , Times Up, Boredom and Friends Of Mine, Spiral Scratch is / was / will evermore be the most important EP ever. Roughly recorded in December 1976, then boldly manufactured, released and distributed by Buzzcocks themselves in 1977, the entire UK independent record industry owes its existence to that very act of autonomy. Never was so much owed by so many to so few...

Re: Buzzcocks with devoto andMaher and Garvey.

This is massive, Maybe not the Smiths reforming but still,MASSIVE....

May 2012, Buzzcocks will be back to front.

Playing a very special show featuring their stuff n things and things n stuff from right now to back then, Buzzcocks will arrive at O2 Apollo Manchester on 25th May.

In a three-part evening of pure Buzzcocks entertainment, they will kick off with new and contemporary material featuring the current line-up of Pete Shelley (vocals / guitar), Steve Diggle (vocals / guitar), Chris Remington (bass guitar) and Danny Farrant (drums).

Part two sees Pete and Steve perform the United Artists classic years tunes featuring the classic line-up of Shelley / Diggle and Steve Garvey (bass guitar) and John Maher (drums) before the evenings proceedings will be brought to a clamouring close in part three by Pete, Steve, and John being joined on stage for the first time in over 33 years by original co-founder and front man, Howard Devoto!

Performing the four tracks featured on the bands debut Spiral Scratch EP : Breakdown , Times Up, Boredom and Friends Of Mine, Spiral Scratch is / was / will evermore be the most important EP ever. Roughly recorded in December 1976, then boldly manufactured, released and distributed by Buzzcocks themselves in 1977, the entire UK independent record industry owes its existence to that very act of autonomy. Never was so much owed by so many to so few...

I'll be there mate (although you know I am square). :)

Good man, I'm buzzing about this one pal, Original Buzzcoks line up including Devoto, to play spiral Scratch in Manchester. All those of a certain age must understand.

Thanks to O2 priority tickets bought.

Bumping this.

Anyone going?

Back
Top Bottom