Burger King admits it has been selling beef burgers & whoppers containing horsemeat

viva pffft.

Re: Burger King admits it has been selling beef burgers & whoppers containing horseme

Personally, I think if you are eating beef then horsemeat isn't too far of a stretch, as long as the same humane slaughtering practices apply to both species. Many horses live horrible lives outside of factory farming zones and feedlots. They are abused, overworked, and used for entertainment. So steer may in fact live better lives than horses before ending up as beef. If horses don't end up on the dinner table, they are rendered into products that we ALL use on a daily basis. They are not buried in plots. Can you imagine that???

However, I do take issue with processing companies misleading fast food manufacturers and the public at large. Then again, I also kind of adhere to the mantra, what you don't know (oftentimes) won't hurt you.

Last edited:
Re: Burger King admits it has been selling beef burgers & whoppers containing horseme

So what? If you're going to eat dead animals, it's not that much difference betweeen a cow and a horse. So what if humans form emotional attachments to horses? Would you eat your family members?

As far as I can see the only issue here is labelling, and trade descriptions - people buying and eating things they thought they were not getting.

If you are going to eat dead flesh, so what if it tastes good to you? Why should you give a shit?

P.

Meat is not the problem, it is what they fill meat with to make it look red and tasty that causes cancer. In Sweden it is called E250 and this nitrite salt or sodium nitrate will create amino acids in the gut and that can and does give a lot of people cancer. E250 is often behind what is still referred to as "stomach cancer" which is more often than not cancer in the sensitive pancreas. Avoiding alcohol and eating meat that has not been filled with nitrates is more important than what type of meat you eat but the sad fact is that finding meat without nitrates is more or less impossible unless you know a farmer who sells meat from his farm.

Meat is grey and not red like most people seem to believe and charcuterie meat is always filled with the cancerous nitrates.

Meat is not the problem, it is what they fill meat with to make it look red and tasty that causes cancer. In Sweden it is called E250 and this nitrite salt or sodium nitrate will create amino acids in the gut and that can and does give a lot of people cancer. E250 is often behind what is still referred to as "stomach cancer" which is more often than not cancer in the sensitive pancreas. Avoiding alcohol and eating meat that has not been filled with nitrates is more important than what type of meat you eat but the sad fact is that finding meat without nitrates is more or less impossible unless you know a farmer who sells meat from his farm.

Meat is grey and not red like most people seem to believe and charcuterie meat is always filled with the cancerous nitrates.

So E250 is added after the animal is processed? It is not a feed additive?

So what? If you're going to eat dead animals, it's not that much difference betweeen a cow and a horse. So what if humans form emotional attachments to horses? Would you eat your family members?

As far as I can see the only issue here is labelling, and trade descriptions - people buying and eating things they thought they were not getting.

If you are going to eat dead flesh, so what if it tastes good to you? Why should you give a shit?

P.

Oh, I'm a vegetarian, I just thought the whole article was pretty gross, contamination, etc and wanted to share. It makes a good argument for why eat a cow but not x,y,z? I hope I didn't offend. :o

Personally, I think if you are eating beef then horsemeat isn't too far of a stretch, as long as the same humane slaughtering practices apply to both species. Many horses live horrible lives outside of factory farming zones and feedlots. They are abused, overworked, and used for entertainment. So steer may in fact live better lives than horses before ending up as beef. If horses don't end up on the dinner table, they are rendered into products that we ALL use on a daily basis. They are not buried in plots. Can you imagine that???

However, I do take issue with processing companies misleading fast food manufacturers and the public at large. Then again, I also kind of adhere to the mantra, what you don't know (oftentimes) won't hurt you.

I'm pretty sure gelatin comes from horse hooves, right? As well as other farm animal hooves. I hate having to explain why I don't eat certain foods like marshmallows because it's nothing but gelatin, people will make the disgusted faces, but then they'll go right back to eating it.

I'm pretty sure gelatin comes from horse hooves, right? As well as other farm animal hooves. I hate having to explain why I don't eat certain foods like marshmallows because it's nothing but gelatin, people will make the disgusted faces, but then they'll go right back to eating it.

You've made a perfectly good point. Some people would object to eating human as opposed to cow or horse. It's their choice

Yes, most gelatin is animal derived... with the exception being fruit based gels such as pectin--the good stuff that makes jams and jellies. Most gummy bears and many other candies also contain animal gelatin. And many medicine capsules and bath bead casings do as well. Not long ago, Crystal Geezer posted a pic/diagram of common things that are made from animal by-products. Not sure where the post is located though.

It's my understanding that culturally, with some exceptions (France and others) the western tradition is that it is not good "juju" or whatever to eat a beast of burden. The animal has suffered enough during it's lifetime carrying people on it's back, you're not supposed to then turn around and eat them. It's like a kosher thing, you don't make chicken omelettes, you don't eat the thing that carried you to dinner. You kill it and process it as dog food, I suppose. :rolleyes: There's a lot of logical gaps in the horse meat debate. We shouldn't be eating souls period.

Yes, most gelatin is animal derived... with the exception being fruit based gels such as pectin--the good stuff that makes jams and jellies. Most gummy bears and many other candies also contain animal gelatin. And many medicine capsules and bath bead casings do as well. Not long ago, Crystal Geezer posted a pic/diagram of common things that are made from animal by-products. Not sure where the post is located though.

Mmm, I love jam. I'm also sucker for those little fruit snack packs and most do have gelatin, but a select few contain pectin instead and I'm so grateful for it haha. I never knew about bath bead casings, good thing I don't even use that stuff. I'd love to see that diagram!

Mmm, I love jam. I'm also sucker for those little fruit snack packs and most do have gelatin, but a select few contain pectin instead and I'm so grateful for it haha. I never knew about bath bead casings, good thing I don't even use that stuff. I'd love to see that diagram!

If I recall, Swedish Fish doesn't have gelatin so you can get your gummy bear fix. I eat marshmallows on occasion. :blushing: Someone hands me a cup of cocoa on a rainy day with marshmallows, I say a quick prayer to the horse's hoof who provided it. :o

If I recall, Swedish Fish doesn't have gelatin so you can get your gummy bear fix. I eat marshmallows on occasion. :blushing: Someone hands me a cup of cocoa on a rainy day with marshmallows, I say a quick prayer to the horse's hoof who provided it. :o

Can you re-post that by-product diagram for viva pffft. (aka Ryan hottie Gosling)?

Can you re-post that by-product diagram for viva pffft. (aka Ryan hottie Gosling)?

Yeah I'll go look for it.

My point in posting this was showing how essential the cow is not just to meat, but industry. It'll be a tough battle finding alternatives to the non-meat aspects of how immersed the cow is in everything we use as a modern society.

8164709274_e548e15950_z.jpg

My point in posting this was showing how essential the cow is not just to meat, but industry. It'll be a tough battle finding alternatives to the non-meat aspects of how immersed the cow is in everything we use as a modern society.

Thanks so much for posting, Crystal. That's pretty gross, and sad. I can't even believe half the stuff on the lists. There's a lot of things on this list that uses vegan alternatives, but I'm not sure there's vegan alternatives for things like plywood...cement?! Ugh.

So E250 is added after the animal is processed? It is not a feed additive?

It is added on to protect customers from very strong toxics in meat that may become a problem and also to change the appearance of the meat when it comes to colour mostly. It is possible that people would die from natural toxics in the meat if E250 was not added but only if customers did not handle the meat properly or cook or fry it the right way. By this logic we would all be driving cars that were protected in huge plastic see through material to protect us from getting hurt cause an accident may happen. The industry of course wants to sell all their meat and do so as long as possible and E250 will make it possible to keep the meat fresh and to sell it for much longer than if this was not added.

No sausages are ever red and they would all be grey if nothing was added but the industry do not believe customers would like grey sausages. Bacon is absolutely drenched in E250 for a reason and is very bad for the sensitive pancreas. Most food look the way it does cause it has been tempered with one way or the other as we humans eat with our eyes as they say.

The meat industry uses E250 to make sure no toxics in meat cause harm to people and this is of course cause they do not want to be held responsible. If millions of people die from cancer that no-one can prove that it came from the use of E250 then so be it. The meat industry is a winner anyhow.

8164709274_e548e15950_z.jpg

Moz has a famous sweet tooth and most candy has something from animals like pig fat and what not. I don't think most veggies realise how much they still consume of animals. Thanks for making that very clear, not that it was any news from me. I have told young veggies about this when their mouths were full of sweets but they only blocked their ears with their hands and sang "la la la". I think for some being kind to animals is a childish behaviour that never leaves them cause they were spoilt rotten with the choice not to eat meat and chose to problematize it. I only understand people who avoid meat to stay healthy but leaving meat out completely will never ever be healthy or advisable for anyone and as your chart shows it is in fact in many ways more or less impossible. Some suggest that cows add to pollution but they struggle to explain how we must take out the cow from the natural biological chain and still know we do not mess with the creation. It is all fine to go about saving the bumble bee that should it disappear may wreck the earths environment so how do we take the cow out of the equation and still maintain life on earth as it was?

Back
Top Bottom