Bryan Adams criticizes China: "bat eating, wet market animal selling, virus making greedy bastards"

People think we're being hypocritical criticizing China for eating all and sundry when after all we eat cows and pigs and chickens. But I think that's the proper way to do it, if you're going to eat meat at all: have a few designated animals that you say "this is for eating, everything else is not for eating". This deranged desire Chinese people have to greedily gobble up anything that breathes is really perverse and bizarre.

Okay, so we only eat bats, spiders and rabbits. Everything else is forbidden.

People think we're being hypocritical criticizing China for eating all and sundry when after all we eat cows and pigs and chickens. But I think that's the proper way to do it, if you're going to eat meat at all: have a few designated animals that you say "this is for eating, everything else is not for eating". This deranged desire Chinese people have to greedily gobble up anything that breathes is really perverse and bizarre.
Well, it just depends on why you're criticizing them for eating these animals.
If the point is that their habits of eating certain animals like bats and snakes has caused a pandemic, it's hypocritical. In the last century, American factory farming has started two pandemics- the swine flu about a decade ago (from a pig farm) and the Spanish flu of 1918 (from a chicken farm). If your point is that eating a variety of animals is just a bit strange, you're entitled to your opinion. However, if you thing that limiting our animal consumption to a few species will prevent pandemics like this, it's just not true.

If the point is that their habits of eating certain animals like bats and snakes has caused a pandemic, it's hypocritical. In the last century, American factory farming has started two pandemics- the swine flu about a decade ago (from a pig farm) and the Spanish flu of 1918 (from a chicken farm). If your point is that eating a variety of animals is just a bit strange, you're entitled to your opinion. However, if you thing that limiting our animal consumption to a few species will prevent pandemics like this, it's just not true.
My point is that I think it's indicative of deep seated depravity

My point is that I think it's indicative of deep seated depravity
Wet markets are indeed indicative of deep depravity. So is lying about the origin swine flu and the
That claim about the origins of swine flu and the 1918 Spanish Flue is simply false.
And the problem with wet markets isn’t the type of animal as compared to animals typically consumed in the West, but the manner of their salein rancid conditions with no proper disease control or sanitary oversight.

Wet markets are indeed indicative of deep depravity. So is lying about the origin swine flu and the

That claim about the origins of swine flu and the 1918 Spanish Flue is simply false.
And the problem with wet markets isn’t the type of animal as compared to animals typically consumed in the West, but the manner of their salein rancid conditions with no proper disease control or sanitary oversight.
Not lying.
The swine flu definitely evolved from a pig farm:
"At CDC the head of virology had completed the genetic fingerprinting of the swine flu and was able to say that it had arisen from a strain first identifiable on industrial pig units in North Carolina in the late 1990s" (CDC).

"[W]ith recent pandemic virus threats from influenza viruses such as H1N1 (swine flu) or H5N1 (bird flu) there is no ambiguity: those viruses evolved on chicken and pig factory farms" (The Guardian).

The Spanish flu of 1918 can only be theorized about and many people have their different theories but: "[t]he widely accepted theory is that in the spring of 1918, the illness spread from farm animals in Haskell County, Kansas to the young men at Ft. Riley who were drafted for World War I" (Kake).

And I'm not going to argue about the poor conditions in wet markets- I agree with you there. (I can agree that conditions for animals in China are generally much worse than ours in the western world. Wet markets are disgusting and worse than western factory farms. I agree. But, I think that our practices are depraved, as well. Factory farmed animals in Australia, the UK, and America still live in disgustingly poor conditions, and factory farms in the western world are also breeding grounds for pandemics. That's why we have to pump our animals full of antibiotics, causing antibiotic resistance and unnecessary deaths in our consumers.) Anyway, I wasn't addressing that argument. I was addressing the argument that I've been seeing often that the pandemic started in China because the Chinese eat the wrong animals, which is nonsense.

You're both making good points and i think we can agree that factory farming is not healthy. I don't really agree about limiting it to a few species of animals because I think that's probably arbitrary and winds up coming from the bible which comes from ancient Jewish law. Now maybe those laws made sense at one time but like much of the old testament it now seems very outdated.

all those who think this is Skinny say aye! AYE! the ayes have it. :)

everybody eats pigs and chickens FFS
only they bizarre subspecies eat bats and insects :bug:
they also eat PETS!:catface::cat:

Not lying.
The swine flu definitely evolved from a pig farm:
"At CDC the head of virology had completed the genetic fingerprinting of the swine flu and was able to say that it had arisen from a strain first identifiable on industrial pig units in North Carolina in the late 1990s" (CDC).

"[W]ith recent pandemic virus threats from influenza viruses such as H1N1 (swine flu) or H5N1 (bird flu) there is no ambiguity: those viruses evolved on chicken and pig factory farms" (The Guardian).

The Spanish flu of 1918 can only be theorized about and many people have their different theories but: "[t]he widely accepted theory is that in the spring of 1918, the illness spread from farm animals in Haskell County, Kansas to the young men at Ft. Riley who were drafted for World War I" (Kake).

And I'm not going to argue about the poor conditions in wet markets- I agree with you there. (I can agree that conditions for animals in China are generally much worse than ours in the western world. Wet markets are disgusting and worse than western factory farms. I agree. But, I think that our practices are depraved, as well. Factory farmed animals in Australia, the UK, and America still live in disgustingly poor conditions, and factory farms in the western world are also breeding grounds for pandemics. That's why we have to pump our animals full of antibiotics, causing antibiotic resistance and unnecessary deaths in our consumers.) Anyway, I wasn't addressing that argument. I was addressing the argument that I've been seeing often that the pandemic started in China because the Chinese eat the wrong animals, which is nonsense.

the subspecies STRIKE AGAIN!!:

o_O
In 1993, Claude Hannoun, the leading expert on the 1918 flu at the Pasteur Institute, asserted the precursor virus was likely to have come from China. It then mutated in the United States near Boston and from there spread to Brest, France, Europe's battlefields, the rest of Europe, and the rest of the world, with Allied soldiers and sailors as the main disseminators.[37] Hannoun considered several alternative hypotheses of origin, such as Spain, Kansas, and Brest, as being possible, but not likely.

o_O

exact same procedure as the KUNG FLU:mad:

O NO!!!!!!!?

In 2014, historian Mark Humphries argued that the mobilization of 96,000 Chinese laborers to work behind the British and French lines might have been the source of the pandemic. Humphries, of the Memorial University of Newfoundland in St. John's, based his conclusions on newly unearthed records. He found archival evidence that a respiratory illness that struck northern China in November 1917 was identified a year later by Chinese health officials as identical to the Spanish flu.

IDENTICAL TO THE SPANISH KUNG FLU!!?

Back
Top Bottom