Brownout mention Morrissey in interview question about the Latin-American community

Brownout gives Black Sabbath tunes a Latin-funk groove - The Boston Globe

Excerpt:

Q. The Latin-American community is passionate about heavy metal. What accounts for that?

A. It’s funny, my brother-in-law says that Mexicans are about the three M’s: metal, Morrissey, and mariachi — Morrissey was a big thing, too, for some reason. I agree with you, in Laredo metal was a big thing. I think that there’s a lot of struggle with certain communities and certain parts of the country; it’s a good escape for people to just let it all out through some heavy music. The Morrissey thing, I just never quite got it; I have a lot of respect for Morrissey and the Smiths, but I never connected with it. I think metal makes a little more sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, being a Mexican-American, we are not just into Metal, Morrissey, and Mariachi. This is a gross oversimplification of the music we listen to and of our culture. Perhaps, Mr. Jose Maldonado could expand on this. Jose is very versed in the traditions we hold dear. In fact, to be honest, "metal" is more broken up into sub-genres and that is quite a broad brushstroke to paint with. What is "metal" to some, means something totally different to others.

Ay tu! "Mr culturally correct". Calm down....I'm Mexican and love Mozza and Mariachi too....never was to fond of metal though but to each his own. Does 2pac count??

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom