Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Academy of Music (Jan. 11, 2013) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

Action Is My Middle Name / Everyday Is Like Sunday / How Soon Is Now? / First Of The Gang To Die / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / Black Cloud / People Are The Same Everywhere / Alma Matters / Maladjusted / Let Me Kiss You / You Have Killed Me / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want / You're The One For Me, Fatty / November Spawned A Monster / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Speedway / Meat Is Murder // Still Ill

set list provided by an anonymous person

• Morrissey played BAM (pics, setlist) - BrooklynVegan. Photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin; words by Bill Pearis. Link posted by hureharehure.

brooklyn.jpg
  • Photos (14 total) - Daniel Weiss Photoblog. Link posted by misguided trousers (original post).

brooklyn2.jpg

Last edited:
After reading all of the heartfelt comments from everyone who went to his show in Brooklyn last night (which I couldn't go because I was working), I can't wait to see him next weekend in Port Chester, NY?!? Yeah, I never heard of that place either. SOOO PUMPED!!!

Look up the history of the Capital Theater. That place has been around as long as Rock N' Roll has, and has hosted all of the absolute LEGENDS of Rock! Stones, Dead, Doors, ALL OF THEM. The place was closed for renovation for a while but is now back and is a go-to venue for the mid-size performers. It is also a beautiful theater and Morrissey show there will be AWSEOME. As for Port Chester? A nice suburb on the Connecticut side of Westchester. I'm sure you'll be able to wet your whistle there, but you're better off heading back to NYC, about 45 minutes south, for your post-show festivities.

Possibly the best show I've ever seen. There was a patient, magic energy in the room. The stage was comically low, just above the knee. There was no demarcated pit, so as soon as Kristeen started her (very good) set people gently took space up in the front. There was probably eight feet between the front row of seats and the edge of the stage in the center, less at the sides. Our tickets were for row H, and we would have graciously retreated if challenged, but security let everyone stay. This created a lovely tension. Getting up on stage would have been no harder than stepping up onto a chair, but those who tried chose their moments cautiously and respectfully. The first invader was gently dropped back down into her slot by security, and the whole pit area seemed aware that this was a rare and delicate chance.

Morrissey was warm and happy. He sang beautifully, the setlist was the best I've seen. He managed to pull out both the songs that meant the most to me at 15 and the ones that mean the most to me now at 38. He sang Alma Matters, then Maladjusted. Just like that. Like time travel. Here's where we are, here's where we came from.

I only hope he loved singing for us as much as we loved being there to experience it.

Eloquently put; Thank You for sharing. It would seem Morrissey did indeed reciprocate ~ "Thank you to everyone present at both Brooklyn (New York) and Melbourne (Australia) during recent weeks for two of the best nights of what might charitably be termed my "career". My debt to you will outlive time itself." ~ TrueToYou.net, 31/01/2013.

Holy hell what a night! The Man was in fantastic form - one of the best Morrissey shows I've seen. I wasn't going to go and only got tickets at the last minute, but I inexplicably (and unexpectedly) found myself right in front; the stage was about two feet high and there were no barriers of any kind. Morrissey was so close for much of the show that I could have reached out and touched him (which, indeed, I did). It was remarkable that everyone down front stayed in place; all we had to do was step up and we would have all been onstage. I suppose everyone realized that the gig would have ended at that point, which would have been awful. During "Still Ill" several invaders made it, and most were quite gentle.

The man was in top form: he was coy, teasing and obviously very moved by the enthusiastic crowd. He took all that audience love and threw it right back, flashing the occasional broad smile and even giggling in parts. He walked on and said something like: "You know what happens when you're in the front row don't you? You get whipped!" Cheeky. Very chatty, very engaging. Apparently someone at the New York Times suggested that he needed therapy, which really put his back up. "Therapy! therapy! therapy!" he kept barking.

This was a fairly strong set list, and the energy seldom flagged (even during the dire "People are the Same Everywhere"). The highlight was undoubtedly "Maladjusted," which is one of my favorite songs ever, by anyone. I've seen him sing it several times and it's always left me slightly disappointed - it's such an abstract song (without a driving beat or catchy chorus) that it easily falls flat live. Not this time: I've seen him "perform" it before, but tonight he PREACHED it. Magnificent. "Alma Matters" was equally beautiful, and "Meat is Murder" was brutal and overwhelming. I'm always thankful that someone has been able to articulate such a profound emotional truth.

Morrissey looked fantastic - he's showing his age but he still has that unique, graceful way of holding his body that is unmistakeable. There were times when he was standing to the side of the stage, gazing out at the crowd and bathed in blue light, and he looked absolutely beautiful. It was as if the years had melted away. Most importantly, his voice was superb. He didn't vocally falter at all, in fact he sang with great passion and (most importantly) emotional nuance. His falsettos were lovely and tonight he really savored the notes. He didn't phone in anything - he was right in the moment, and the crowd was right there with him. Brooklyn, hell yeah.

I should not have doubted that Morrissey is still capable of such a heartfelt, captivating evening. Despite the occasional nonsense with the press and the inexplicable bouts of insensitivity, Morrissey is still capable of delivering an emotional punch that no one else can equal. What a remarkable, singular, essential artist.

Oh, and the bit where he introduced the band by "reading" off their names as Oscar nominees and then ripping open an envelope and announcing: "and the Oscar goes to... Taylor Swift!" Hysterical.

Another beautiful appreciation; Thank You too. I heartily concur regarding 'Maladjusted'; it's such a queer old cove of a beast that it could easily go either way ~ poetic or foolish, as the man once said. But when it works it surpasses even the most feverish expectations. Here was my experience of it when he rendered it in Edinburgh last summer ~

"The black heart of the set pulses on with 'Maladjusted'. This is manifestly the song as it was always destined to be - a dizzying spiral of stalking, seething, questing, loving menace. The dark epic intimacy of the song is fully realised. My favourite Morrissey line ever ('When the gulf between / All the things I need / And the things I receive / Is an ancient ocean wide / wild / lost /uncrossed ') is raised to it's rightful place; as he spits out each word the drums and lights underline their power. He pauses to look askance at the 'safe and stable' warm light above him before spinning back into the blood red floor lighting, circling the stage, round and round until that eponymous finalé. As he repeats 'maladjuted...never to be trusted' I watch his face and truth is smeared over every inch. Gustavo seals the deal with the truest falsetto there ever was..."

And the rest of the concert was equal to that sublimity ~

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/124272-Article-Edinburgh-Scotland-Usher-Hall-(July-30-2012)-post-show?p=1986729526

Back
Top Bottom