Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Academy of Music (Jan. 11, 2013) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

Action Is My Middle Name / Everyday Is Like Sunday / How Soon Is Now? / First Of The Gang To Die / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / Black Cloud / People Are The Same Everywhere / Alma Matters / Maladjusted / Let Me Kiss You / You Have Killed Me / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want / You're The One For Me, Fatty / November Spawned A Monster / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Speedway / Meat Is Murder // Still Ill

set list provided by an anonymous person

• Morrissey played BAM (pics, setlist) - BrooklynVegan. Photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin; words by Bill Pearis. Link posted by hureharehure.

brooklyn.jpg
  • Photos (14 total) - Daniel Weiss Photoblog. Link posted by misguided trousers (original post).

brooklyn2.jpg

Last edited:
Really excellent gig. Top form. Hope we get Sweet and Tender Hooligan tonite in AC!

Concerning The Blue Rose Society: Why are we fighting over this? Why should it matter what some of us believe or do not believe? It doesn't hurt anyone and it doesn't disrupt the show. Kyle is "the president" of the Society, and obviously Morrissey is fond of him and is aware. As I understand it, he doesn't refuse most of the roses and he certainly doesn't refuse Kyle. He even called him up on stage the other night. Live and let live, I say. At the end of the day, we are all there for the same reason.

Peace!

Because MorisseysWorld is a hoax, and the bluerosesociety was created by the same hoaxer to propagate this stupid myth! It's a conspiracy theory about a blog site! That has to be the lamest conspiracy theory ever. I always imagined Morrissey's fans wouldn't buy into such tripe, because of their taste in music. Turns out taste doesn't always = intelligence and that saddens me.

Why would Morrissey create a blog site with his name in the link and then say everything on that website is a falsehood? It's a dumb premise.

You could say, "Well he's dishing the dirt, he wants to say certain things, but doesn't really want them linked back to him."

OK, so what dirt has been dished there exactly? None.

Morrissey is the most outspoken popular musician currently. He doesn't care about outraging people and he never has, he isn't afraid of anyone's wrath.

MorrisseysWorld and Blue Rose Society are the works of a failed writer and his brainwashed child; and I fear for both of their mental health's.

Does anyone know the names of the bands and songs from the videos that are played right before Morrissey comes on stage?

The Blue Rose people were right in front of me. Morrissey did not accept any blue roses, no matter how ardently they were waved in front of his face. And with the height of the stage, they were actually being waved right in his face.

Every few years a hoaxster pops up pretending to be Morrissey via email, IM, chat room, whatever. It's a constant. This case is no different.

I can't wait to see videos from this show!! I hope there are a few, anyway :) And, thanks so so so much for the great reviews so far.

Concerning The Blue Rose Society: Why are we fighting over this? Why should it matter what some of us believe or do not believe? It doesn't hurt anyone and it doesn't disrupt the show. Kyle is "the president" of the Society, and obviously Morrissey is fond of him and is aware. As I understand it, he doesn't refuse most of the roses and he certainly doesn't refuse Kyle. He even called him up on stage the other night. Live and let live, I say. At the end of the day, we are all there for the same reason.

Peace!

completely agree

People who know music in England are very critical of Morrissey at the present time, so it seems strange to be reading these reviews, to hear comments of "the best I've ever seen him, band on fantastic form tonight, I've seen the Smiths but this was the best ever, fantastic setlist tonight, he seemed this and he seemed that............"
So my point is, What is the difference with the English audience and the American audience ???
I know Americans like to see/be positive in everything they see and do and thats fine I'm not American bashing here but the gulf between the two audiences seems to be poles apart at the present time and I would love to hear what other peoples views on the subject are ?
CAN WE HAVE AN ADULT AND CIVILISED DEBATE/REPLYS ABOUT THIS PLEASE ? (Holds breath).

Johnny English.

I suspect that Morrissey's one-man campaign to demolish his own image is much more successful in the UK than it is here. His strange political diatribes garner him a huge amount of negative press of which (most of) his American fans are blissfully unaware. Here he's still an indie legend and a hero to social misfits/outcasts/nonconformists and dreamers of all stripes. I've seen Morrissey many times, and he really shone in Brooklyn: it was truly a spectacular evening at a great venue in front of an adoring audience. The band did a great job as well. The reviews reflect this.

If Morrissey declared his support for the Tea Party, praised Rush Limbaugh to the skies and adopted the rhetoric of the Evangelical Right then it would probably be a somewhat different story. I cannot fathom why he's so hell-bent on undermining all the good-will he's built up over the years, but thank goodness that his talent outshines his inexplicably big mouth.

This was only my second Morrissey concert, my first being at Terminal 5 in October, but I have to say it was a really amazing concert. I know there has been a lot of very detailed descriptions of the show so I won't bore you with another, but I will say it was an absolutely phenomenal show (I know Morrissey doesn't "perform").

Every song sounded full of energy and both the band and Morrissey seemed to be in top form. I have to say I was never a fan of People are the Same Everywhere, Alma Matters, and to a lesser extent Meat is Murder, but each of those songs sounded excellent live (I'd dare even say that his live rendition of Meat is Murder was one of the strongest numbers in the set--something I'd never thought I would say).

The earlier poster who mentioned how great it was to hear "Everyday is Like Sunday," "How Soon is Now," and then "First of the Gang to Die" in a row was spot on. I was pleasantly surprised to hear "First of the Gang to Die" as I was not expecting that one.

My only complaint is that from where I was in the mezzanine the audience seemed pretty lame. For a lot of the show I was the only person standing (which struck me as odd for a concert). At Terminal 5 there was a great energy to the audience and people seemed to sing along with all of his songs, even ones like "Maladjusted," "Speedway," and "Meat is Murder." Not the case last night, at least in my section. Someone was actually on their phone checking their email during Maladjusted which troubled me to no end. While Maladjusted is not one of Morrissey's "Greatest Hits" I do think it is one of his strongest songs and I am really glad it's found it's way back into his live set.

But in spite of this it was by far the best of the two Morrissey concerts I have seen and the best concert I have ever seen. My friend came along. She was/is a causal Smiths fan and not very familiar with his solo career, but she was blown away by what a great performance it was. She also left her umbrella behind and when we went back two of the ushers were talking about the show as well. Neither one of them were Morrissey fans, but they both couldn't believe how intense the performance and the fans were. The one told me she had never seen anything like this before working at BAM. She also said that if any of the BAM security acted the way the Moz's did they would be sued.

Great night overall.

Morrissey's status as an icon is much different in the US and UK. Honestly in the US he is virtually unknown. Ask 100 people walking down the street in NYC "who is Morrissey" and you'll be lucky to find 2 who actually know who he is.

I was at the show and I agree that it was fairly good.

I do have to say that I thought Jesse's playing was pretty bad (tone/style and finesse (or lack of) was disappointing. He's clearly the weak-link.

Moz was in good form and his voice sounded strong. I thought the new drummer did a nice job.

I hope Moz will come to Brooklyn more often in the future.

Morrissey's status as an icon is much different in the US and UK. Honestly in the US he is virtually unknown. Ask 100 people walking down the street in NYC "who is Morrissey" and you'll be lucky to find 2 who actually know who he is.

That hasn't been my experience at all. I'm American and have lived in NYC since the 90s and I've heard loads of vaguely unlikely-looking people (office-y types, etc.) mention him in unlikely moments. Old people, young people, all kinds of people. But I suppose it depends on the people you know.

Anyhow, there are lots of pictures from the show at Brooklyn Vegan:
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/01/morrissey_playe_6.html

They're using that kid for a hoax and he doesn't even know it. :(

But in spite of this it was by far the best of the two Morrissey concerts I have seen and the best concert I have ever seen. My friend came along. She was/is a causal Smiths fan and not very familiar with his solo career, but she was blown away by what a great performance it was. She also left her umbrella behind and when we went back two of the ushers were talking about the show as well. Neither one of them were Morrissey fans, but they both couldn't believe how intense the performance and the fans were. The one told me she had never seen anything like this before working at BAM. She also said that if any of the BAM security acted the way the Moz's did they would be sued.

I love stories like this (and there are always a few every tour). It just confirms that (most of us) aren't nuts; Morrissey is truly a talent without equal, and live he's capable of a kind of intense communion that other singers can only dream of. Even the haters have to admit that he has a rare gift that moves people on an almost spiritual level. Even now, at this late date, he is astonishing.

live and let live! we are here for morrissey not to discuss the blue rose society or the kid... just enjoy the shows everybody

PLEASE PLEASE LET ME GET WHAT I WANT.... is not the best shot but i hope you guys enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom