British singer Morrissey slams BDS movement as 'absurd' - The Jerusalem Post

BRITISH SINGER MORRISSEY SLAMS BDS MOVEMENT AS 'ABSURD' - The Jerusalem Post

By Lauren S. Marcus.

The outspoken former frontman for The Smiths has performed in Israel several times, most recently last year at the Bronfman Auditorium in Tel Aviv. He continued to rail against BDS, stating: “It is narrow-minded. Being politically correct is incorrect. It means forbidding the freedom of speech. This is how the BDS movement sounds to me.”

His newest album, Low in High School, features two tracks which directly reference Israel: "The Girl from Tel Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel," a song about Holocaust victim Etty Hillesum, and "Israel," which includes the lyrics “In other climes they bitch and whine/Just because you are not like them — Israel, Israel.”

"I love this city [Tel Aviv]," the singer said. "The rest of the world does not like Israel well. But the people there are very generous and friendly. You should never judge a people by their government. It is very rare for the government to reflect the wishes of the people.'"

Morrissey is hardly the only British singer with an affinity for the Jewish state--Boy George recently performed in Tel Aviv, clad in a Star of David emblazoned suit. Fellow Brit Nick Cave played two sold out shows in the Holy Land this week,explaining that he performed despite intense BDS pressure to cancel, because: "I love Israel and I love Israeli people...and I wanted to make a principled stand against anyone who tries to censor and silence musicians. So, really, you could say in a way that BDS made me play Israel."

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely agree with him on this one. :thumb:

Music is a free spirit that doesn't discriminate.

BRITISH SINGER MORRISSEY SLAMS BDS MOVEMENT AS 'ABSURD'.

By Lauren S. Marcus.

The outspoken former frontman for The Smiths has performed in Israel several times, most recently last year at the Bronfman Auditorium in Tel Aviv. He continued to rail against BDS, stating: “It is narrow-minded. Being politically correct is incorrect. It means forbidding the freedom of speech. This is how the BDS movement sounds to me.”

His newest album, Low in High School, features two tracks which directly reference Israel: "The Girl from Tel Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel," a song about Holocaust victim Etty Hillesum, and "Israel," which includes the lyrics “In other climes they bitch and whine/Just because you are not like them — Israel, Israel.”

"I love this city [Tel Aviv]," the singer said. "The rest of the world does not like Israel well. But the people there are very generous and friendly. You should never judge a people by their government. It is very rare for the government to reflect the wishes of the people.'"

Morrissey is hardly the only British singer with an affinity for the Jewish state--Boy George recently performed in Tel Aviv, clad in a Star of David emblazoned suit. Fellow Brit Nick Cave played two sold out shows in the Holy Land this week,explaining that he performed despite intense BDS pressure to cancel, because: "I love Israel and I love Israeli people...and I wanted to make a principled stand against anyone who tries to censor and silence musicians. So, really, you could say in a way that BDS made me play Israel."

http://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/British-singer-Morrissey-slams-BDS-movement-as-absurd-514833

Regards,
FWD.

"Fellow Brit Nick Cave"

"You should never judge a people by their government. It is very rare for the government to reflect the wishes of the people.'" But yet he boycotts performing in Canada? :confused:

"You should never judge a people by their government. It is very rare for the government to reflect the wishes of the people.'" But yet he boycotts performing in Canada? :confused:
I guess seals are just more important than Palestinians. Just like Japanese people are more important than whales, and money is more important than most things.

For Nick Cave it's all about the money...

"He continued to explain that The Bad Seeds had not played in the country in the intervening two decades due to the lack of success of their 1997 record ‘The Boatman’s Call’, which “flopped” in Israel. Cave told the audience of reporters that touring that part of the world is “expensive and time-consuming”...

Nick Cave says the Bad Seeds decided to play in Israel

"Fellow Brit Nick Cave"

"Brittish" singer. :laughing: I reckon Steve's high powered Hollywood agent is Jewish. Uncle Steve knows how to play the game.

He makes some valid points, some less so, until you listen to Isreal. That's just awful, cringeworthy stuff. An interview is an interview but he's had time to sit down and think abouot what he was putting down for Israel. One of his worst efforts imo.

Not judging people by their government is a good sentiment, but in the case of Israel don't citizens overwhelmingly support their government?

Morrissey is somewhat like Trump. Praise him and he's a friend for life. They gave him a key, he has no option but to reciprocate with a blind love of all things Israel.

Very true about the Canada boycott hypocrisy. I can understand not liking Israel as I dont and I mean the government not the people (though in a democracy the government does somewhat represent the people same as it does here in the u.s) but I’m not into the public shaming deal. If you want to make a boycott movement fine and good but to pressure others In public or to try and shame them as immoral is maybe taking it a bit to far. While I find the current government of Israel distasteful they haven’t crossed over into nazi territory quite yet

Completely agree with him on this one. :thumb:

Music is a free spirit that doesn't discriminate.

"Music is a free spirit" wtf does that even mean?
When Beyonce performs for some genocidal warlord for two million dollars is that also an expression of freedom?

I guess seals are just more important than Palestinians. Just like Japanese people are more important than whales, and money is more important than most things.
Here's the difference. PETA does not recognize Palestinians. Morrissey's Canada boycott was not his idea.

I applaud his ban on that canadian Rifke although it clashes with his defence of jews.

"Bratish singer slams BDS (something kinky I might try just once) as being as absurd as Jerusalem itself".

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom