Bring me the head of Rick Witter and Dolores O'Riordan

J

John

The latest Cranberries album ironically titled Bury The Hatchet has bombed thankfully but apparently it rips off The Smiths big time - from the Q review : "The magpie tendency is irksome. These people have very well-worn Smiths records. The most shameless steal is the rotten Desperate Andy ("have yourself another shandy"), although the oddest is Copycat, a song that denounces unoriginality whilst blithely ripping off the arrangement of William It Was Really Nothing. Even more surprisingly scathing was the more muso and adult-based Mojo review - "Musically the group have reverted to the chiming, inoffensive indie-lite of Morrissey circa Kill Uncle....think B*witched gone Britpop, only not as good(!)" They were never an original band anyway, at first doing a bad impersonation of The Sundays - a band that's a heavenly cross between The Cocteau Twins and The Smiths, only they get the 30 million sales, but it looks as if we're rid of them now, Alanis Morrissette does that same sort of hic up voice, only more powerful(and I'm not saying she's great either) Sinead O'Connor is so much better than both of them, and she covered The Hand That Rocks The Cradle. Shed 7 are no strangers to ripping off The Smiths but now they've done it more blatantly than ever - new single Disco Down(from their "greatest" hits) has the lyrics "It's time to burn this disco down" with a riff very similar to Marr funk instrumentals The Draize Train and Money Changes Everything, or Barbarism...(which they ripped off in an early track too) the singer Rick Witter picked I Wont Share You as his heartbreak record in an old NME and said it was the last song they recorded - wrong! every fan would know that it was I Keep Mine Hidden, I just hate the fact that these mediocre bands are doing 4th rate xeroxes of Smiths tunes, it doesn't do anything for the legacy!

I was talking about this with a friend after I bought this record. (used, of course) Not only is the music ripping off Marr, but the vocals do, too. Dolores even tries her hand at a few trills, reminiscent of Morrissey doing live Smiths. However, I don't really mind this. I really like the Smiths, and wish more people would ripp them off, if only to hear similar pop music.

Personally I was looking forward to the 'Rick Witter - Flying the flag or flirting with disaster?' cover story in the NME, but for once they seem to have missed the whole racist conitation of Disco Down,i.e Mr Witter is actually attacking the concept of discos.....which..er. play predominantly black music therefore the song must be racist (or some other completely ludicrous theory......)

> Personally I was looking forward to the 'Rick Witter - Flying¿ the flag or flirting with disaster?' cover story in the NME, but¿ for once they seem to have missed the whole racist conitation of¿ Disco Down,i.e Mr Witter is actually attacking the concept of¿ discos.....which..er. play predominantly black music therefore¿ the song must be racist (or some other completely ludicrous¿ theory......)

come on Stuart....you know that Shed 7 are soooo bland they could never offend.
Not bought the best of yet then?!

Natsxx