Brett from Suede on Morrissey in Swedish podcast

Brett Anderson Hemma hos Strage:
https://www.acast.com/hemmahosstrage/brett-anderson-hemma-hos-strage
[22:30 in]

44543_brett_anderson.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
good listen,brett is just a nice human being,didnt mind Morrissey calling him a boring young man and thought it was quite creative.

The Swedish host really really wants Brett to say something negative about Moz. Doesn't succeed.

good listen,brett is just a nice human being,didnt mind Morrissey calling him a boring young man and thought it was quite creative.
Brett has made consistently strong albums, especially the last three Suede albums, so he can hold his head high. I sometimes wonder what kind of songs Moz would sing if his band was the band from Suede.

Brett has made consistently strong albums, especially the last three Suede albums, so he can hold his head high. I sometimes wonder what kind of songs Moz would sing if his band was the band from Suede.
I think Night Thoughts is stellar. Blue Hour has a lot of good songs but the overall pacing of it is lacking. It feels too slow. I don't hate it but it needs a few more up-tempo songs.

I wish they would come back to the US. I saw them when they toured for dog man star. They did play in Boston in 1997 but I just found that out right now :(

The Swedish host really really wants Brett to say something negative about Moz. Doesn't succeed.

Yes, the interviewer has a few runs at it to no avail.
Brett says on Morrissey calling him boring that his "diatribe against me was quite funny and creative. I thought it was quite nice"
Later on Morrissey attending one of his early gigs.... "it's nice to have patronage from people you like."
His interview is pleasant and measured. His taste in music is great.
A class act.

I think Night Thoughts is stellar. Blue Hour has a lot of good songs but the overall pacing of it is lacking. It feels too slow. I don't hate it but it needs a few more up-tempo songs.

I wish they would come back to the US. I saw them when they toured for dog man star. They did play in Boston in 1997 but I just found that out right now :(

Wasn't it Boston where they had their gear stolen? Seems a bit petty, but Brett has cited that as one reason they didn't tour the US after that.

Found this:
http://www.vanyaland.com/2014/05/17...ending-bands-tumultuous-relationship-america/

Wasn't it Boston where they had their gear stolen? Seems a bit petty, but Brett has cited that as one reason they didn't tour the US after that.

Found this:
http://www.vanyaland.com/2014/05/17...ending-bands-tumultuous-relationship-america/

It was after Boston. I think the main reason goes back to the inability to bill themselves as "Suede" due to the same-named folk singer. I believe their last U.S. appearance was at Coachella back in 2011-12. Mat Osman had visa issues and wasn't able to perform with them.

Last edited:

Much better ones methinks :). On a more serious note, I think it would be a good challenge for Morrissey to write lyrics and sing over the darker tones of Suede's recent material (no "Spent The Bay In Bed" from that band). Offhand, I can't think of anything in his catalog that would compare - but I can still picture it.

Last edited:
Much better ones methinks :). On a more serious note, I think it would be a good challenge for Morrissey to write lyrics and sing over the darker tones of Suede's recent material (no, "Spent The Bay In Bed" from that band). Offhand, I can't think of anything in his catalog that would compare - but I can still picture it.

Maybe ambitious outsiders.

Yeah I think it’s mostly due to the name issue. Funny as my father in law knows the lady apparently and when I was babbling about suede one night as I did often at that time at a family dinner I brought up how I’d probably never get to see them live do to this. he took her side and we nearly ruined dinner for everyone

Here's something slightly irrelevant but Brett looks better now than he did in the 90s. Getting Away from drugs and living a healthy life has really worked well for him. He looks and sounds better than ever. And if his concerts are any indication he is as fit as a fiddle. Just look at how he wears a suit: like a fashion model. Reminds me of Bryan Ferry visually.

His autobiography Coal Black Mornings is out on paperback in January. Check out the cover. Remind you of anyone?

9781408710487.jpg

Last edited:
So what songs/artists did he play? I can’t listen.
Reality Asylum by Crass. Very tough and dramatic spoken word.
Franz Liszt Liebenstraum. Brett's father loved Liszt.
Stonemilker by Bjork.
Big Louise by Scott Walker.
Cloudbusting by Kate Bush.
Spanish Sahara by The Foals.

I'll try to post the utube links soon.

Last edited:
A well informed and sympathetic interviewer for a change. This is how interviews should be. Actual insightful questions with interesting informative answers from Brett. Moz should take note.

The interviewer compares Moz autobiography to Brett's, how Brett didn't settle old scores or waste his book being hateful.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom