Brett Anderson memoir

Hi SuedeMoz, News to me as well so you definitely aren't the last.

I don't visit the Suede forum very much if at all these days so completely missed this news. I see that Amazon claim it's release date is 1 March 2018, it should be a good read. I will probably pre-order it from there unless Brett is selling signed copies?

I wonder how much will focus on his younger years and how much will focus on his band years. He was kinda critical if I’m remembering correctly of morrissey not including more info on the smiths when his bio came out. Either way I’m sure I’ll have it on release day and finished by night

No, man... you're not the only one.

I'm really interested in reading this book. I love Brett and Suede and I'm pretty sure it's as good as Marr's.

interesting.

Though what would interest me is if he says anything that was significant to him in his interactions with Bowie and the brief moments he met Morrissey that he hasn't already talked about in past interviews.

Last edited:
This was welcome news to me too! Thanks very much. I'm looking forward to the memoir!

The audiobook will be read aloud by the author. And the "UK book tour" is planned for March.

I knew about it but can't remember where I heard it. It's funny how people will be looking for what he says about Bowie and Moz. He might not even mention Moz because what happened there? Moz covered 'My Insatiable One' in concert a few times, and they met at a party and felt each other's furry collars, and then Moz slagged off Suede. I'd be more interested to hear about the Suede albums. Their debut album is a classic. I'm also interested to hear about how they managed a comeback while also creating one of their best albums: Night Thoughts.

I knew about it but can't remember where I heard it. It's funny how people will be looking for what he says about Bowie and Moz. He might not even mention Moz because what happened there? Moz covered 'My Insatiable One' in concert a few times, and they met at a party and felt each other's furry collars, and then Moz slagged off Suede. I'd be more interested to hear about the Suede albums. Their debut album is a classic. I'm also interested to hear about how they managed a comeback while also creating one of their best albums: Night Thoughts.

Not exactly. Brett said some negative things in the press and morrissey responded with criticism towards suede

Not exactly. Brett said some negative things in the press and morrissey responded with criticism towards suede
Fek I forget what happened. I had all the music rags from back then but they were dumped by my brother in-law, along with all my Moz, Smiths, and Cure posters. AND my 2000AD and SCREAM comics. AND my Marvel comics. Fuk I'm angry now.
AND my Planet Of The Apes action figures.

Fek I forget what happened. I had all the music rags from back then but they were dumped by my brother in-law, along with all my Moz, Smiths, and Cure posters. AND my 2000AD and SCREAM comics. AND my Marvel comics. Fuk I'm angry now.
AND my Planet Of The Apes action figures.

I blame it on being a young musician and maybe on some drugs and just not being careful with his words. He for sure said something first that was sorta weird and maybe unflattering and definitely unessesarily and so got a pushback from morrissey. I think Brett was sorta embarrassed about it now. Really it was nothing. I feel ya on the comics. When I was a child my mother gave away without my knowledge all of my comics at the time somenof which would be worth something now

I blame it on being a young musician and maybe on some drugs and just not being careful with his words. He for sure said something first that was sorta weird and maybe unflattering and definitely unessesarily and so got a pushback from morrissey. I think Brett was sorta embarrassed about it now. Really it was nothing. I feel ya on the comics. When I was a child my mother gave away without my knowledge all of my comics at the time somenof which would be worth something now
I think Brett said Moz's shyness wasn't endearing but was ridiculous, and then Moz hit back by saying:
"Suede," says Morrissey, choosing his words with characteristic acidic wit, "are what the NME thought the Stone Roses were – a good group with songs. It's a group with all reference points so tightly packed that it consequently leaves no room whatsoever for originality, should any be lurking. Despite his claims to the contrary, I have never met Brett and wouldn't wish to; he seems like a deeply boring young man with Mr Kipling crumbs in his bed. He'll never forgive God for not making him Angie Bowie."
To which Brett replied:
Brett is visibly concerned. Is he upset? "The Face completely misconstrued what I said. The girl was doing the interview on a train. Maybe she heard the wheels rumbling. She got that wrong. I expect he is pissed off, and I don't blame him. I would be too. There are a section of people who work for the Face who may be amongst the most stupid people who ever lived. Really. They're absolute idiots."

Here is a similar Moz Solo thread about it:
www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/morrissey-brett-anderson.56991/

I think Brett said Moz's shyness wasn't endearing but was ridiculous, and then Moz hit back by saying:
"Suede," says Morrissey, choosing his words with characteristic acidic wit, "are what the NME thought the Stone Roses were – a good group with songs. It's a group with all reference points so tightly packed that it consequently leaves no room whatsoever for originality, should any be lurking. Despite his claims to the contrary, I have never met Brett and wouldn't wish to; he seems like a deeply boring young man with Mr Kipling crumbs in his bed. He'll never forgive God for not making him Angie Bowie."
To which Brett replied:
Brett is visibly concerned. Is he upset? "The Face completely misconstrued what I said. The girl was doing the interview on a train. Maybe she heard the wheels rumbling. She got that wrong. I expect he is pissed off, and I don't blame him. I would be too. There are a section of people who work for the Face who may be amongst the most stupid people who ever lived. Really. They're absolute idiots."

Here is a similar Moz Solo thread about it:
www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/morrissey-brett-anderson.56991/

Yeah I remember that thread. No wait, having now clicked on it there’s a more recent one that uses quotes. I wasn’t around here for the thread you posted. It seemed he was mad or upset or whatever about Brett claiming to have met him and morrissey denied it. There’s a section about it in love and poison as well. Either way I dont really blame morrissey and it seems a pretty minor spat a long time ago. Super original or not they made some untouchable records. I honestly imo have nothing that compares or holds up to the first two suede records and the ones with Richard and Neil rank among some of my favs though I confess I like my self made besides more so when considering that era of the band. Super happy to see them return and succeed. Also of course love the tears and Brett’s solo records

Well, love to hear all the lovely and poisonous stories from this evening...

e53b504cf460499c6e96c4b7b3c5d31c--steven-morrissey-music-bands.jpg

Edit: Photo from Q awards - 1993.

On to another meeting between the two... wasn't it a lunch or something and Brett said that Morrissey just sat there not talking the entire time? I think it's the same quote @ACTON mentions in this thread. Whatever happened between them it was kind of sad because Morrissey went from praising and covering Suede to claiming they were completely irrelevant (they weren't of course).

Last edited:
Well, love to hear all the lovely and poisonous stories from this evening...

e53b504cf460499c6e96c4b7b3c5d31c--steven-morrissey-music-bands.jpg

On to another meeting between the two... wasn't it a lunch or something and Brett said that Morrissey just sat there not talking the entire time? I think it's the same quote @ACTON mentions in this thread. Whatever happened between them it was kind of sad because Morrissey went from praising and covering Suede to claiming they were completely irrelevant (they weren't of course).

Yeah according to suedes love and poison, I can’t be bother to look up anything else about this really, it says Brett (as paraphrased by phill) that Brett claimed to have met him and that he claimed morrissey acted a bit funny with him (though I think the actual quote was a bit more snide as it appeared in the mag). Then morrissey says he’s never met him and gave his crumbs quote. Brett at this point says he meant when he met him as a fan when he was much younger which I guess muddled the whole thing a bit further. I don’t know when that photo was taken but I’m guessing it was a bit later so it can’t have been to big a deal for either of them. I do agree about the praise he gave suede being a rare move for him so it was a shame when it ended

I blame it on being a young musician and maybe on some drugs and just not being careful with his words

some drugs...try half the heroin in hackney :squiffy:

anyways, í read in the new 'Mojo', í think, that the memoir would end with Suede's initial success in 1992. there was a descriptive quote, í think, from BA himself; something about salad cream. í stopped reading after that as í cannot abide salad cream :sick:

some drugs...try half the heroin in hackney :squiffy:

anyways, í read in the new 'Mojo', í think, that the memoir would end with Suede's initial success in 1992. there was a descriptive quote, í think, from BA himself; something about salad cream. í stopped reading after that as í cannot abide salad cream :sick:

That seemed like what the description above implied which I just found interesting as I think he made a comment about auto biography not containing enough about the smiths and now he’s sorta following suit. Either way I kinda prefer that. I already know the story of suede and unless he’s gonna really dish up some stories or some tell all gossip, which I think Brett’s to nice and classy to do, then what’s the point. This way I’ll still get some insight to the band and the music through focusing on its key architect and maybe get a fresh story about the human aspect. As for drugs. Don’t think he was that far into it atvthat point. Maybe a dab of coke and just an eighth of the heroin at that point. Seriously though he wasn’t that much of an addict at that point was he. Seems more a case of a talkative newly successful excited frontman maybe not accustomed to his words having such range and impact and this consequences. At least Brett found the respons funny and I think morrissey still enjoyed suedes music. How could you not. Wonder if well someday get a Bernard bio. Not the authors fault but that’s what love and poison was missing

Morrissey and Bowie played the same game.... Morrissey did it with Suede, Bowie with Placebo.
I think the game was about "discovering" which band was going to be the greatest new band, but both Bowie and Morrissey became somehow less enthusiastic about the bands they have finger-pointed as "the new hype".

Morrissey and Bowie played the same game.... Morrissey did it with Suede, Bowie with Placebo.
I think the game was about "discovering" which band was going to be the greatest new band, but both Bowie and Morrissey became somehow less enthusiastic about the bands they have finger-pointed as "the new hype".

In that case, looks like Johnny Marr came out with winner with Oasis.

Back
Top Bottom