Breaking News?!?

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
My wife has just heard Peter Allen on Radio 5 Live saying that in some breaking news Morrissey is suing the NME.It was only this afternoon (and now for that matter) that the BBC had it on their website front page that is was a distinct possiblity. Good lord, if that's true, then the shit has hit the fan for the NME, but frankly, they deserve what they get.

I hope he takes them to the cleaners. Quite aside from anything else, they've given the BNP some free publicity.

My wife has just heard Peter Allen on Radio 5 Live saying that in some breaking news Morrissey is suing the NME.It was only this afternoon (and now for that matter) that the BBC had it on their website front page that is was a distinct possiblity. Good lord, if that's true, then the shit has hit the fan for the NME, but frankly, they deserve what they get.

I sure hope that the official brief accuses the NME of being "devious, truculent, and unreliable."

The BBC said 2hrs ago that he will sue unless NME publish a written apology

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7118412.stm

But I agree, the tone of the piece was terrible, pious bollocks and NME deserve everything they get. Hope he sues them.

Indeed, and from that article...

"His lawyers said they would begin legal proceedings for defamation if the NME had not issued a retraction by 1300GMT.

The deadline passed without an apology from the publication.

Earlier, the NME released a statement which read: "We can confirm that Morrissey's legal representatives have been in contact with NME and pending the outcome of these discussions we won't be commenting any further."

Peter

"His lawyers said they would begin legal proceedings for defamation if the NME had not issued a retraction by 1300GMT.

Earlier, the NME released a statement which read: "We can confirm that Morrissey's legal representatives have been in contact with NME and pending the outcome of these discussions we won't be commenting any further."

Peter

They must reckon they can take him on then. I really hope he wipes the floor with them, this "racist" shit has gone on long enough.

Peter

Well, I don't know about boycotting Morrissey- I am officially boycotting NME. Who's with me?!

MORRISSEY ON RADIO 5 NOW!!!

They papers will be issued tomorrow.

Peter

**EDIT** got a bit over-excited - my wife said "Morrissey on the radio!", so I rushed into the kitchen, to hear their reporter Colin Patterson talking about the case, and the fact that it all kicks off tomorrow.

Well done Uncle, if I may call you that (lol), you have highlighted a story that has made my office start talking about something interesting.

Holy shit. Go on Morrissey.

I assume it will be for defamation of character? And libel perhaps. Well if Jason Donovan got £200k Moz could be looking at a nice payout. To imply that you're a racist when you're merely stating your position (which I disagree with) is not the nicest thing in the world.

Looking forward to seeing the NME's defence, attempting to portray forthright views on immigration as evidence that Morrissey supports the BNP.

Well, I don't know about boycotting Morrissey- I am officially boycotting NME. Who's with me?!

Yup, I haven't bought that horrible issue. Thanks to all the Moz-Solo-ers who provided the wonderful scans! At most, I might go to my local Borders and read the issue in person, but I'm not giving that bastard Conor McDickless any of my hard earned money!

Go Moz, sue the bastards!

Nice one, Uncle. Breaking News indeed!

Hope someone audiotaped his radio talk (or that it'll be on their online archive). How does He sound? Is there a sense of calm, cool and collected rage?

Cross the Mozfather and you sleep with da fishes!

Haha. No horse's heads though.

Morrissey to Merck: "If I only had a wartime consiglieri...!"

May the Mozfather be rid of his enemies at the NME once and for all. Any lingering sympathy I had for that publication's financial woes is gone.

Nice one, Uncle. Breaking News indeed!

Hope someone audiotaped his radio talk (or that it'll be on their online archive). How does He sound? Is there a sense of calm, cool and collected rage?

He wasn't acually on, I just misunderstood when my wife shouted "Morrissey on the radio!", and then when I went to listen it was the presenters talking.

Peter

Really can't see what he can sue them for

Let it lie,Morrissey or it's going to be another High Court debacle.

All hysteria aside, I don't see how Morrissey really has a legitimate case. The NME didn't call him an out-and-out racist, so what is specifically libelous about the article?

I'm not sure about that myself. I don't know what the standard of proof will be. But I'm fairly certain the lawyers can at least make a case. The last part of the article damn near puts it in glowing neon. As I said yesterday the editors close by driving the reader to only one conclusion: "The NME as an organization has taken a stand against racism. We condemn Morrissey's comments." They don't say Morrissey is a racist but their point is obvious.

Another glaring problem is that they re-state Morrissey's position as saying he thought he should be allowed to move around but he'd close the gates on other immigrants. That's a gross lie. In context it is not crystal clear what Morrissey is saying, but if you re-read that answer again it's pretty obvious he means, "I've been free to go from country to country. Others should have that right too". The fact that he says this reluctantly is beside the point. The NME were malicious in wrongly giving the impression that he advocated denying other people migration rights, and the fact that Conor and his colleagues jumped in and re-wrote much or all of the story proves that they did this deliberately.

Will it be enough to win the case? I don't know, but I'm glad he's trying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom