"Brandon Flowers Bans His Kids From Listening To Morrissey's Songs Due To His Racist Views" - Aceshowbiz (April 18, 2020)

Brandon Flowers Bans His Kids From Listening To Morrissey's Songs Due To His Racist Views

Shoplifterromo sends the NME article indicating the original interview from The Times:

Shoplifterromo also sends the link:

Brandon Flowers Admits It’s ‘Difficult’ to Separate Morrissey’s Politics and Music - SPIN

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they are so obviously racist. If they are, how come Brandon didn't notice earlier? National From Disco, for example?! I hope he doesn't play the news while the children are around with such a racist president they have!
I do play Morrissey and The Smiths at home. There's something called 'educate your children'. It's our job to explain them the good and the bad of life.

children.jpg

We listened to a bit of Viva Hate in the car last year at one point and when "Bengali in Platforms" came on, our 11 yr old said "What does he mean by that, that life is hard enough when you belong here?" We ended up having a really interesting chat about different cultures and immigration and why some grown-ups might be scared of people from other parts of the world coming to their country. (The 11 yr old thought that was stupid, to be scared.)
I'll take 500 for conversations that never happened Alex.

I wonder of Brandon will ban his kids from listening to Bowie, cause of all the underage fan f***ing, Nazi imagery and the like??

Regardless of whether the use of the word ban was used inappropriately he's full of it and is just another twat towing the line.

Full segment from the interview.

In the encore, which turned things up to 11, Johnny Marr popped on stage to play guitar on This Charming Man. Flowers is a lifelong fan of the Smiths — so much so that he kept a teacup Morrissey drank from when the singer visited a Vegas café that Flowers once worked at. Many think Morrissey is racist. Did Flowers take that into consideration when covering one of his songs?
“I don’t think Marr should be held back because of Morrissey, so I don’t regret it,” he says. Separating the art from the artist is a perennial poser, though — what is the take of a super-devotee? “It is difficult to separate it from him, and I’m not going around playing the music in front of my kids, but...”
He stumbles a bit. “Pick a song! Pick What She Said. If What She Said came on the radio with my kids, I wouldn’t change it. It’s still an amazing song, so I’m not that serious, where I would change the station. I don’t agree with him, but I’m not going to burn my CDs by the Smiths or anything.”
It's easier to count the stages Marr hasn't appeared on.

"Ultimately everyone prefers their own race". Was this based on research that he's carried out? Of course not. He's stating that he prefers his own race, and he's (wrongly) assuming everyone else does too.

who knows if Moz does any research on this? I suspect not other than the research that life itself is. He said "everyone" not "I" as well you know. So is he wrong as you state?

do a quick research yourself on any search engine you wish and you'll see inter race marriages or cohabiting relationships are very low percentage of the population (of every country) this proving that generally speaking 'everyone' or 90% plus do indeed prefer their own race.

that doesn't mean that any other race is of lesser value of less valid, it's just a general truth that like so many Moz quotes are blown entirely out of proportion. It's just the truth. I'm in a inter racial marriage and I'm very comfortable being in the minority and take no offence at the statement, nor does my wife.

Brandon Flores and his band are terrible!!!??????? nothing to do next to Morrissey ,who rinses his mouth with Listerine before talking about MOZ!!!????

He didn't say he preferred his own race - he was having a garbled pop at identity politics, where everyone bangs on about their ethnic group. He was saying he DIDN'T think everything was about race.

View attachment 56005
I don't think that was his point. I think the proper context for this quote is before it rather than after it. "But if you call someone racist in modern Britain you are telling them that you have run out of words. You are shutting the debate down and running off. The word is meaningless now. Everyone ultimately prefers their own race … does this make everyone racist?"
He was trying to demonstrate that the word is meaningless by showing that it can apply to everyone.

I think he's right, personally, though it's more about culture than race. People are pack animals- we're inclined to in-group favoritism, especially if we grow up exclusively within our group with little exposure to other groups. That's why there are Black student unions, Asian student unions, Latino student unions- places on campuses where minorities can feel comfortable with people like themselves. It's natural that this attitude should appear in white people as well, though a white student union would be perceived as racist.

I blame the coronavirus...
During normal times the music that the sons of Brandon Flowers listen to is probably not something newsworthy.

Other than that, my 10 years old niece has some sort of very bizarre obsession with... Peter Hammil. It's mmmm... Weird.

MORRISSEY cares little less than a fart!!!
Flores and their children and me too!!!!!!!

Own race?
Is there any different race than the human?
You morons, illiterates
Your discussion about a racist falls apart

I don't think that was his point. I think the proper context for this quote is before it rather than after it. "But if you call someone racist in modern Britain you are telling them that you have run out of words. You are shutting the debate down and running off. The word is meaningless now. Everyone ultimately prefers their own race … does this make everyone racist?"
He was trying to demonstrate that the word is meaningless by showing that it can apply to everyone.

I think he's right, personally, though it's more about culture than race. People are pack animals- we're inclined to in-group favoritism, especially if we grow up exclusively within our group with little exposure to other groups. That's why there are Black student unions, Asian student unions, Latino student unions- places on campuses where minorities can feel comfortable with people like themselves. It's natural that this attitude should appear in white people as well, though a white student union would be perceived as racist.

I thought that at first - but I think the 'modern Britain' ties it into the diversity argument that comes afterwards. Because he'd have to back up the statement that everyone prefers their own race.

But I think it does relate to in-group favouritism.

A new milestone in media...Aside from the bs grab line, the news within the body of the article s fake. Brandon’s quotes do not align with the message of the article!

Don’t be a victim!!!! Down with the Media!!!!

forget the little Morrissey ban ,Brandon Flowers, your kids have already advanced to the dark web.:ahhh:

There is no need to separate Morrissey's views from his music if you're a fan of thinking.

In other news the killers suck.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom