Bradley Steyn complaint filed in the Orange County Superior Court (July 29, 2014)

Doing a search on the Orange County Superior Court site ($1) I found the following case:

Case Id: 30-2014-00736735-CU-CO-CJC
Case Title: BRADLEY STEYN VS. STEVEN PATRICK MORRISSEY
Case Type: CONTRACT - OTHER
Filing Date: 07/29/2014
Category: CIVIL - UNLIMITED

PARTICIPANTS
Name Type Assoc Start Date End Date
2014-15 TOURS DEFENDANT 07/29/2014
BRADLEY STEYN PLAINTIFF 07/29/2014
DAVIDSON & ASSOCIATES, P.L.C. ATTORNEY 07/29/2014
DONALD KNUTSON DEFENDANT 07/29/2014
STEVEN PATRICK MORRISSEY DEFENDANT 07/29/2014

I went ahead and purchased the documents ($37.50) and am taking a look through them now.

UPDATE:

Download here:
Bradley Steyn complaint (569K PDF)

Media coverage:

Last edited:
yah he's asking for at least $25k for each "wrong" supposedly done to him and then to "punish" morrissey he wants at least $240k

In that case, I'm guessing he's going to get exactly he wants in a settlement. $500k to Morrissey must be like $5000 to you or me. What public figure would go through a trial when they could just pay up and have it over with? (More rhetorical questions, I know...)

I for one am interested because this might mean another court case for Morrissey. I can't see him wanting to settle over this.

I've been asking myself WWMD, and I just don't know. It's unfathomable to me that anyone would not want to settle in this situation, but I don't pretend to understand how Morrissey's mind works...

This is a storm in a tea cup. David T can try and milk it (and publicise it widely) but it amounts to nothing more than a banal civil law suit by a clearly disgruntled (and more than slightly grandiose) former employee. Most of us are bored by the story now. I know it's hard, David T, but get over it and move on with your life...

It's certainly boring, but we've been told by certain posters since the story broke nothing would come of it, and yet it seems to be trundling along quite nicely.

"such promises directly caused Plaintiff to incur serious financial harm, as well as mental and physical injury"

How exactly did this cause him physical injury? This is clear litigious nonsense.

I didn't realize that the going rate for security was 3500 a week.. I'm a fairly imposing ex military Hispanic. Surely moz can consider hiring me.

In that case, I'm guessing he's going to get exactly he wants in a settlement. $500k to Morrissey must be like $5000 to you or me. What public figure would go through a trial when they could just pay up and have it over with? (More rhetorical questions, I know...)

I've been asking myself WWMD, and I just don't know. It's unfathomable to me that anyone would not want to settle in this situation, but I don't pretend to understand how Morrissey's mind works...

I bet Morrissey is wishing he'd paid the guy out in full and had done with it. Luckily for us he went for the cheap option.

"such promises directly caused Plaintiff to incur serious financial harm, as well as mental and physical injury"

How exactly did this cause him physical injury? This is clear litigious nonsense.

I read a lawsuit once where the physical injury was that there was so much stress caused that the person couldn't get it up for sex.

I seriously don't picture Morrissey saying Tseng is the "bane of my existence." :lbf: Did he have the back of his hand pressed to his forehead with closed eyes lounging akimbo on a divan while he said it?

I legitimately laughed out loud when I saw that "bane of my existence" bit. This comment made me laugh even harder.

I'm laughing at the absurdity of the entire situation. And the fact that YOU haven't been contacted by legal teams over this alleged threat, Davidt, is mind-boggling.

It all comes out in the wash...truths and lies.

I didn't realize that the going rate for security was 3500 a week.. I'm a fairly imposing ex military Hispanic. Surely moz can consider hiring me.

I presume $3500 a week isn't a standard wage for hired muscle. For that money perhaps Steyn might have had a reasonably senior role, which Morrissey appeared to deny in the first TTY statement.

Well, it's certainly going to be interesting to see where this goes, if anywhere.

Q for those who know about law stuff: If there's a settlement, would that fact ultimately be made public?

Yes, but not the details.

I seriously don't picture Morrissey saying Tseng is the "bane of my existence." :lbf: Did he have the back of his hand pressed to his forehead with closed eyes lounging akimbo on a divan while he said it?

I needed a snort-laugh. Thank you, CG.

Dude didn't contact authorities when the alleged "hit" was first brought up, and now he's demanding money. This is open and shut--Steyn is a loser. One who lies.

Yes - this:

one thing to remember is that just because it's in this document doesn't make it true. I've had to deal with a vexatious litigant over the last 4 or 5 years. Very little of what that person puts into their filing documents is true. Also, the legal/criminal implication of putting in the false information appears to be zero. Courts and police tend to not want to scare people off from coming to them so things like going to jail for filing a false police report or court case don't really happen except on tv.

It is all about money, and the Davidt angle is just to create drama. The court system will want evidence. The part where Donnie gives Steyn the "you do it " look is laughable.

It is all about money, and the Davidt angle is just to create drama. The court system will want evidence. The part where Donnie gives Steyn the "you do it " look is laughable.

Without the "Davidt angle" there is no wrongful termination. Employment in California, where all this happened, is at will. They could have fired him because they didn't like the color of his swim trunks. Firing him for refusing to do something illegal is all he has to get paid all the money.

California is an at-will employment state which means an employer can terminate an employee's employment at any time with or without reason. The exceptions to the rule include terminating an employee for reasons "based on the discrimination laws; for participating in union activity; for refusing to carry out an activity that violates the law." (www.business.ca.gov)

So, I think a judge would require Steyn to provide a lot more evidence that Moz & Knutson wanted to put a hit on DavidT. Asking if someone "could get hurt" or winking and raising eyebrows seems to be a pretty weak case. Steyn would need hard evidence like emails or recordings to get this to court.

So, I think a judge would require Steyn to provide a lot more evidence that Moz & Knutson wanted to put a hit on DavidT. Asking if someone "could get hurt" or winking and raising eyebrows seems to be a pretty weak case. Steyn would need hard evidence like emails or recordings to get this to court.

In California, audio recording someone without their consent is illegal (hence the need for a judge to approve wiretaps) so recordings aren't going to happen. There also may be other witnesses to the statements. Your idea of what's required to get a case to court don't match the stuff that's there already.

Why didn't Steyn contact the police if he believed Donnie and/or Morrissey were trying to contract a hit?

There is nothing in there about a 'hit' - battery, yes - but not a murder.

And...frankly - why should he go to the police? He obviously doesn't care whether one way or the other about David T, he just wants paying for having been dragged out there, then instantly sacked.

There is nothing in there about a 'hit' - battery, yes - but not a murder.

I suppose that depends on how you interpret "could be gotten rid of," which is the language Steyn claims Knutson used when discussing the situation with Morrissey.

And...frankly - why should he go to the police? He obviously doesn't care whether one way or the other about David T, he just wants paying for having been dragged out there, then instantly sacked.

Well, like I said, I asked that question rhetorically. I am inclined to disbelieve Steyn's story in the first place, but as a human being it's hard to understand why—if this story were true as Steyn claims—he would not have gone to the police. Surely that's what you do if you believe someone's life is in danger? But no, he didn't contact the police because he didn't actually think a hit (or battery) was truly being suggested. But again, it was purely rhetorical.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom