Bradford, North of Manchester

mywar

practicing troublemaker
i'm on a major bradford kick lately (if you couldn't guess from my avatar), and as every thread i found about them was in the archives, i figured i would start a new one in their honor.
anyone see them live or have any anecdotes about them in general?
i read something in another thread about demos? is that something that is actually in circulation, that one might realistically get one's hands on? (if only a copy or mp3s or whatever.)

I'm sorry, I'm sure I don't have anything to add to your cannon of knowledge about Bradford, but I like them too. I bought Shouting Quietly 10 years ago. It was my first year at college, I was homesick and unsure about everything - definitely one of the albums that helped me get through that period. I'm glad you mentioned them. I haven't listened to them in awhile - going to give them a spin now. Have you seen this live footage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ8LtMTuBfk

Isn't Bradford east of Manchester? (certainly north-east!)
I have 'Skin Storm' on a compilation vinyl album ''Bananas'' (1989) a fundraising album to fight the ID cards that thatcher wanted to impose on football fans...... it was soundly kicked into touch early 1990.... as indeed was thatcher herself by the end of the year:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

primitive_painter: no, i had not seen that video before. thanks for posting it!

jukebox jury: north-east is right. however, i was merely quoting the matrix-etching on the 'skin storm' 12" (at least i think that's the one).

i'm in the process of ripping the bradford stuff i have on vinyl to digital. i'm sure i could post it here when i get all the stuff i have ready. i mean it's all out of print anyway, isn't it? and i doubt any kind of reissue/anthology is in the works...?

primitive_painter: no, i had not seen that video before. thanks for posting it!

jukebox jury: north-east is right. however, i was merely quoting the matrix-etching on the 'skin storm' 12" (at least i think that's the one).

i'm in the process of ripping the bradford stuff i have on vinyl to digital. i'm sure i could post it here when i get all the stuff i have ready. i mean it's all out of print anyway, isn't it? and i doubt any kind of reissue/anthology is in the works...?

Ha ha nice one mywar..... didn't know that was the etching on the vinyl:thumb:
Didn't the singer get done recently for some conviction or other:eek:

Jukebox Jury

the drummer certainly was. search the news archive for "mcvitie".

Primitive_Painter, I'm supposing your username is a reference to Felt? If so, ace! :thumb:

Yes it is! Someone was kind enough to post the video awhile back. Its a wonder they weren't more widely received. It rotates, but this is my favorite tune by them just now - its called All The People I Like Are Those That Are Dead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4z-Wg761FE

Also, to keep with the thread topic - here's an interesting Bradford interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuU6Ddmx1VE

The new issue of 'Mojo' magazine, on page 146, has a reader's enquiry about Bradford, what ever happened to them? answered with a response from Ian H himself.
Scanner unavailable, so you'll have to nick a copy for yourself. He says that there was some plan afoot last year to do a digital clean up and re-release and they all met up to listen to the tapes but legal issues put the kaibosh on it.
Mentions Morrissey, says he was flattered and very grateful for his support, but confirms that he hasn't received a penny of any royalties/publishing dues from the cover of 'Skin Storm'. Even gives his e-mail address if anyone can assist with this matter - no win/no fee!

Yes it is! Someone was kind enough to post the video awhile back. Its a wonder they weren't more widely received. It rotates, but this is my favorite tune by them just now - its called All The People I Like Are Those That Are Dead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4z-Wg761FE

I believe it says on allmusic.com that Moz was into them -- Felt, that is. Anyone know whence he said something about them? Good taste, our Mozzer :thumb: The guitarwork is very Marr-esque.

I'm new on here so be gentle.

I'm a fan of Bradford (and Morrissey) too.

Ian H is now in a band called Acoustic Uprising, it's different to Bradford's stuff, but it's still very Ian. He did (and might still) run an open mic night in Blackburn.

There's a group on Facebook wanting them to release some of their unreleased stuff. However, Ian has declined. A few more people showing interest might change his mind... You never know.

I just thought I'd share that with you.

Back
Top Bottom