Boz, Morrissey, Cathal Smyth photo posted by Lyn Boorer / Facebook

(Cathal Smyth)

full

Update:
Now the subject of a Central post:

Hello
Lovely Photo

what’s happening with the interview we were threatened with a month or so ago? I keep on checking, I’m worried.
Worried what he’ll come out with. The leaving the latest record company stuff was pretty grim. I fear the interview, if we ever see it will be another step in the worst direction.

enough is too much

Hello
Lovely Photo

what’s happening with the interview we were threatened with a month or so ago? I keep on checking, I’m worried.
Worried what he’ll come out with. The leaving the latest record company stuff was pretty grim. I fear the interview, if we ever see it will be another step in the worst direction.

enough is too much
Don't worry be happy...😄

No, that's from interviews with Smyth and Langer quoted in Mozipedia.
He's not mentioned in Autobiography.
He is, Cathal is mentioned by his 'stage name', Chas Smash. He was responsible for introducing Moz to Boz Boorer etc (and apparently telling M that Kill Uncle was crap, in a nice way) :lbf:

He is, Cathal is mentioned by his 'stage name', Chas Smash. He was responsible for introducing Moz to Boz Boorer etc (and apparently telling M that Kill Uncle was crap, in a nice way) :lbf:
Indeed he is, good memory! Here's the relevant section from Autobiography:

Recording something for the sake of recording delivered Kill Uncle unto the world, and I am finally up against the limits of my abilities, whilst surely not fooling anybody. Having been so right, it is suddenly shocking to be so wrong, yet Kill Uncle is number 8 in England and number 52 in the US. It will always be the orphaned imp that nobody wants, and even I – its father and mother – find it difficult to feed. But Kill Uncle shocks me into solid action, and in 1991 I brush aside my finicky ways and I undertake an extensive American tour. For this, nature compels the formation of a band, and north London will provide four musicians as, at last, the solo years begin. Friendship prospered with Chas Smash from Holloway, and for a while we are a loosely matching pair in Camden taverns and racquet-club steam rooms.

Of Kill Uncle Chas confirms: ‘You’ve lost it, but you’ll re-find it.’ I seem to be eternally cased in by friends who give me bad news because they care. Yet Chas introduces me to Boz Boorer, a known face on the British rockabilly scene, and Boz collects guitarist Alain Whyte, who works for Camden Council, Spencer Cobrin, who has a drum kit somewhere and who helps his father out in the family antique shop, and Gary Day, who plays bass and lives with his father in Neasden. They all know each other and they manage a certain harmony together, although Alain nurses an aversion to Boz that creates frequent difficulties. Generally, it works, and all four are essential to me after the session-musician embalming fluid of Kill Uncle.

Indeed he is, good memory! Here's the relevant section from Autobiography:

Recording something for the sake of recording delivered Kill Uncle unto the world, and I am finally up against the limits of my abilities, whilst surely not fooling anybody. Having been so right, it is suddenly shocking to be so wrong, yet Kill Uncle is number 8 in England and number 52 in the US. It will always be the orphaned imp that nobody wants, and even I – its father and mother – find it difficult to feed. But Kill Uncle shocks me into solid action, and in 1991 I brush aside my finicky ways and I undertake an extensive American tour. For this, nature compels the formation of a band, and north London will provide four musicians as, at last, the solo years begin. Friendship prospered with Chas Smash from Holloway, and for a while we are a loosely matching pair in Camden taverns and racquet-club steam rooms.

Of Kill Uncle Chas confirms: ‘You’ve lost it, but you’ll re-find it.’ I seem to be eternally cased in by friends who give me bad news because they care. Yet Chas introduces me to Boz Boorer, a known face on the British rockabilly scene, and Boz collects guitarist Alain Whyte, who works for Camden Council, Spencer Cobrin, who has a drum kit somewhere and who helps his father out in the family antique shop, and Gary Day, who plays bass and lives with his father in Neasden. They all know each other and they manage a certain harmony together, although Alain nurses an aversion to Boz that creates frequent difficulties. Generally, it works, and all four are essential to me after the session-musician embalming fluid of Kill Uncle.
What a smarmy, run-on way of saying, “I was looking for a band and then I found a band, ...but heaven knows where they’re at now.”.

Thanks! I'd forgotten all about it.

What does "...while we are a loosely matching pair in Camden taverns and racquet-club steam rooms." mean in the world of Morrissey?

What does "...while we are a loosely matching pair in Camden taverns and racquet-club steam rooms." mean in the world of Morrissey?
Uncluttered commitment while indulging in some humasexual hanky panky.

It means whatever you want it to mean.

Apparently, "as a founding member of ’80s pop legends Madness, Cathal Smyth has many mad claims to fame. Amongst them is the time Morrissey asked him to be his manager through the medium of that famous song ‘You’re The One For Me, Fatty’.
“Yeah, well allegedly I was quite overweight at the time,” the amiable 56-year-old musician chuckles. Needless to say, Smyth turned Moz’s request down.
“My then wife said,‘Oh, don’t be daft, you wouldn’t want to be ironing his socks!’ I’m glad I didn’t, you know? He’s a very interesting man – very succinct, very minimal but intense – and I like that. Morrissey’s very much at the altar of Morrissey.”

Apparently, "as a founding member of ’80s pop legends Madness, Cathal Smyth has many mad claims to fame. Amongst them is the time Morrissey asked him to be his manager through the medium of that famous song ‘You’re The One For Me, Fatty’.
“Yeah, well allegedly I was quite overweight at the time,” the amiable 56-year-old musician chuckles. Needless to say, Smyth turned Moz’s request down.
“My then wife said,‘Oh, don’t be daft, you wouldn’t want to be ironing his socks!’ I’m glad I didn’t, you know? He’s a very interesting man – very succinct, very minimal but intense – and I like that. Morrissey’s very much at the altar of Morrissey.”
He also said that he thinks Certain People I Know is about him.

I thought the most bizarre thing was him comparing Morrissey to a samurai.

"Morrissey is a total samurai. There’s no confusion for him. He lives on instinct and the truthful recognition of how he feels. He’s got that amazing ability to create a vacuum around himself that people are frightened to enter. His depth and his stillness is frightening to most people. He’s got the skill of a martial artist, to be visible or invisible. If you want to understand Morrissey, just read the Bushido, the code of the samurai. A brilliant geezer."

"Morrissey is a total samurai. There’s no confusion for him. He lives on instinct and the truthful recognition of how he feels. He’s got that amazing ability to create a vacuum around himself that people are frightened to enter. His depth and his stillness is frightening to most people. He’s got the skill of a martial artist, to be visible or invisible. If you want to understand Morrissey, just read the Bushido, the code of the samurai. A brilliant geezer."
I think Smash was going through a 'Sun Tzu' phase where he saw Oriental (Japanese & Chinese) influences in whatever direction he looked.

I think that's true on the surface - there's just a lot of terror, confusion & pain underneath.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom