Boy (2) dies in car, forgotten by daddy...

Jose

No way...
Two-year-old dies after father forgets him in car

16/07/2008 00:00 A two-year-old French boy died of heat because his father forgot him in the family car, reports France Info radio.

PARIS - A 2-year-old French boy has died of the heat because his father forgot him in the family car, France Info radio reported on Wednesday.

Pedestrians in the south-eastern town of Pont de Cheruy noticed the unconscious boy in the car late Tuesday afternoon and called rescue workers. However, attempts to revive the child failed, and he died later in hospital.

According to reports, his father had forgotten all about the child's presence when he parked and locked the car, which was exposed to intense sunshine.

Temperatures in the town reached 25 degrees Celsius in the streets, but police estimated that it was as hot as 45 degrees in the car.

Authorities said that the child had been locked in the car for nearly three hours.

An autopsy is to be performed on the boy to determine the cause of death, which appears to have been dehydration.

:eek:

I cannot imagine living with the guilt. Or dying in that manner :(

I once accidentally locked my baby in the car. As I was putting her in her car seat (with keys in hand) and must have hit the lock button on my keyfob... I heard a 'ding' but didn't think much of it (was a new car at the time) until I shut her door to get into the car myself and... *LOCK* ... :eek: panic!!!!

It was summer, but not a hot morning, thankfully. I called 911 and TWO firetrucks came roaring down my street, two guys unlocked my car door to get her out. My baby wasn't crying -just wanted to know what all the fuss was about (and why was her Mom crying!) and no matter how I explained it to the firemen, they all had this look on their faces like "you stupid woman!!"

I found out the hard way this is another way to lock my car doors :o

I hate stories like this. :tears: It happened here a few years ago; the family had something like 8 kids, and the youngest was left in the car. The dad claimed that one of the older kids was responsible for bringing the baby in, and had forgotten. (WTF kind of dad would blame it on one of his kids?) The family was ridiculed in the press for having so large a family that they could let this kind of thing happen, and I thought that was grossly unfair.

Sadly it often happens in Japan. :(

It does? Why?

I cannot imagine living with the guilt. Or dying in that manner :(

No kidding.

I once accidentally locked my baby in the car. As I was putting her in her car seat (with keys in hand) and must have hit the lock button on my keyfob... I heard a 'ding' but didn't think much of it (was a new car at the time) until I shut her door to get into the car myself and... *LOCK* ... :eek: panic!!!!

It was summer, but not a hot morning, thankfully. I called 911 and TWO firetrucks came roaring down my street, two guys unlocked my car door to get her out. My baby wasn't crying -just wanted to know what all the fuss was about (and why was her Mom crying!) and no matter how I explained it to the firemen, they all had this look on their faces like "you stupid woman!!"

I found out the hard way this is another way to lock my car doors :o

Same thing happened to my mom & daughter, but it happened just a couple blocks from our house and we ran over & kept my daughter entertained until the locksmith came.

I once accidentally locked my baby in the car.

Same thing happened to my mom & daughter, but it happened just a couple blocks from our house and we ran over & kept my daughter entertained until the locksmith came.

At least these are not cases of "forgetting" your child.

Just read that the father was a 38-year old pharmacist, who's now in shock (obviously!)
Imagine him having to tell this to his wife... :tears:

that is awful,reminds me of the family up here a winter or so ago that put their children in their car while it was warming up and while they (the parents) dugout the car from the piles of snow.
the exhaust was buried in the snow and thus it was blocked and all the exhaust fumes filled the inside of the car,both children were killed.
a horrible story and the guilt the parents must feel to this day must be unbearable.

I hate stories like this. :tears: It happened here a few years ago; the family had something like 8 kids, and the youngest was left in the car. The dad claimed that one of the older kids was responsible for bringing the baby in, and had forgotten. (WTF kind of dad would blame it on one of his kids?) The family was ridiculed in the press for having so large a family that they could let this kind of thing happen, and I thought that was grossly unfair.

Fair or unfair, some people are less capable of multitasking than others and that's a fact :eek: If I have more than 3 things to carry, I'll carry only 3 and forget the rest. 3 is my maximum. It's good to know that before you have babies :eek:

Once when my mum left me and my brother in the car on our own while she went to the grocers, literally for 2 minutes or something. But the car was parked on a hill and she forgot to put the handbrake on. It started really, really slowly rolling down the hill, I looked at my brother like WTF and he looked at me like Huuh because I was 6ish and he was 3ish and he had no idea what was happening. Then these two guys noticed and pushed on the front of the car to stop it rolling, my mum got back and it was fine. She found the whole thing more traumatising than I did, and definately more than my little brother did, seeing as he didn't know what was happening, and doesn't remember it.

I almost was left in Florida in 1978 when I was three...

True story...

I was holding my mom's hand as we were at the station to board Amtrak to return to New York. When the train came there was a mad rush of people to get onto the train. I remember being separated from my mom's hand and waiting there to see where she was. Eventually there wasn't anyone left and train started to shut its doors.

I believe the train lurched forward a bit but I do remember someone who was either a conductor or train operator or some Amtrak personel picking me up and bringing me on the train. He presented me to my panic stricken mom who was in hysterics.

This was back in 1978. My mom was panicing and screaming on the train but apparently the conducters downplayed my absence as to not panic the other passengers.

I did not enjoy being in New Orleans during Katrina in 2005 at the age of 30. I cannot imagine enjoying being stranded in Florida at the age of 3.

We had something like this happen last week. Really sad.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Va. Toddler Dies After Father Leaves Him in SUV
By Michael Laris
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, July 10, 2008; Page B01

A consulting company manager left his newly adopted son sitting in a sport-utility vehicle in a Herndon parking lot for much of the day Tuesday, killing the 21-month-old child, police said yesterday.

This Story
HERNDON: Father Whose Son Died in Hot Car Is Hospitalized
Va. Toddler Dies After Father Leaves Him in SUV
The boy, Chase, was adopted three months ago from Russia, police said.

Miles Harrison, 49, of Purcellville was charged yesterday with manslaughter. He faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

Dave Zorger, owner of Herndon-based Project Solutions Group, where Harrison is managing director, said someone went to the front desk at the end of the day Tuesday and told the receptionists about seeing something in a GMC Yukon with tinted windows parked outside.

"They said, 'Hey, Miles, is there something in your car?' and he went running outside," Zorger said.

Herndon Police Chief Toussaint E. Summers Jr. said Harrison was supposed to take Chase to day care. Instead, Harrison drove to work, and Chase sat in the SUV outside the building, in the 500 block of Herndon Parkway, for "at least several hours," Summers said. Exactly how long remains unclear. The high temperature Tuesday was about 90 degrees.

Zorger said Harrison arrived at work at the real estate consulting firm "sometime in the morning," and police said they received an emergency call about 5 p.m. that someone was performing CPR on an unresponsive child.

Summers said authorities think the manslaughter charge is appropriate. The investigation is continuing, he said.

"You can't leave a kid unattended," he said.

Summers would not say what investigators think happened. "Manslaughter is simply the unlawful killing without malice," Summers said. "It's really hard to know what was going on in Miles Harrison's mind at that point."

Zorger said he did not know whether some distraction might have contributed to the boy's death.

"I wish I knew the answer to those questions. Those are the same things I'm asking myself," Zorger said.

John Alexander Gomez, who works for a financial firm in the same green-and-gray building in the Herndon office park, said he was leaving for the day when he saw paramedics put the child's limp body in a white bag.

"That's a terrible death . . . with the heat. When I got in my car at 1, my steering wheel, you couldn't touch it," Gomez said. "To me, that's proof right there. You can't do too many things at once."

Evelyn Rivas, who works in the same building and has a 6-year-old daughter, said it was unthinkable that she would be in Harrison's situation. "I have a kid, and I don't think I'd forget they were in the car," Rivas said. "It seems to me a lot of people do it. It doesn't make sense."

Harrison was taken to a medical facility after rushing out to the child, and he was to be taken into custody there yesterday, Summers said.

Just awful.

What is awful is the usual...

Need a license to get a car, need to be 18 in order to smoke and vote, cannot legally drink until 21 but anyone that knows how to play "Does it Fit?" can have kids.

What is awful is the usual...

Need a license to get a car, need to be 18 in order to smoke and vote, cannot legally drink until 21 but anyone that knows how to play "Does it Fit?" can have kids.

Maybe there should be a compulsory school of parenthood for parents to be.

And a checklist, of course, like for pilots and surgeons. Parenting may not be considered a job, but human lives still depend on you.

I almost was left in Florida in 1978 when I was three...

True story...

Wow, quite the 'first' childhood memory. I bet your Mom aged a few years in those few minutes.

We had something like this happen last week. Really sad.

Awful. Adding insult to injury, not only do you 'kill' your child, you're charged with manslaughter...as if your 'sentence' isn't already enough.

I'll admit I multi-task too much that I do forget things, but not my children! In fact, it's when I don't have them that I 'feel' like something's missing...;)

Wow, quite the 'first' childhood memory. I bet your Mom aged a few years in those few minutes.

Awful. Adding insult to injury, not only do you 'kill' your child, you're charged with manslaughter...as if your 'sentence' isn't already enough.

I'll admit I multi-task too much that I do forget things, but not my children! In fact, it's when I don't have them that I 'feel' like something's missing...;)

I have a quite a few memories from the age of three. I remember my Aunt thought it would be cool to take me to see the re-release of Star Wars. I remember watching Star Wars in 1978 because my Aunt declined to tell my Mom (her sister) where she was taking me.

Star Wars was nice and then when we returned home I got to see a fireworks show.

'Forgotten By Daddy' sounds like a good name for a song. Take note, Morrissey.

It's better than 'Slow Roast Baby', anyway...

It's like the man here a few weeks ago who got fined for not having his two year old daughter strapped in and she was crawling around on the back seat, whilst in the front, the more immportant box of lager had a seatbelt round it!

Back
Top Bottom