Bowie's I know it's gonna happen someday

Never seen the video before.

By all rights it should be a good cover, but there's something not quite right about it...

You have Bowie covering a song that was already channelling his own past work. This kind of thing leads to mad cow.

:lbf:

I agree -it's a haunting version & I like the choir, but it's just 'off' -maybe cuz we know what it's supposed to sound like, but Bowie is legend, everything he does is golden. Spoken as a Morrissey and Bowie fan. :crazy:

I like Bowie, but this is just awful. I think I even threw up a little bit. :sick: Moz's voice is so powerful and just forces his way into your head - Bowie's sounding pretty wimpy here. It would be easy to ignore if it wasn't grating. It sounds like a mosquito. I think Moz does a much better job of covering Bowie's songs than vice versa.

I like Bowie, but this is just awful. I think I even threw up a little bit. :sick: Moz's voice is so powerful and just forces his way into your head - Bowie's sounding pretty wimpy here. It would be easy to ignore if it wasn't grating. It sounds like a mosquito. I think Moz does a much better job of covering Bowie's songs than vice versa.

Agreed. I wanted to like it. But it was pretty tuneless and cliche-ridden. When he gets that lighter out and starts waving it about it's the last straw for me. Moz's version of Drive-in Saturday is fantastic though.

first listen, it's not bad. waving the lighter is a bit school choir but it's enjoyable, even if the words don't ring true.

The soul-like arrangement is a bit of a slap, but to be quite honest I think Bowie sings it better than Morrissey, who did not have one of his finest moments with that song. And certainly better than Morrissey sings Drive-In Saturday. Anyway, to be covered by David Bowie is an honor in itself, even for Morrissey.

cheers

^^

I have to disagree with you there. I think Bowie's version meanders tunelessly, is overburdened with extraneous flourishes, and the vocal effects are appalling. I adore David Bowie, but his theatricality in this instance is unequal to the sparse emotion of the lyrics.

Morrissey sings with great authenticity, despite his occasional lack of dead-on pitch or control. Morrissey's version of this song is much more emotionally satisfying and melodic to my ears.

It is an honor to be covered by Bowie, but in this case I think the original is far superior.

Drive in Saturday isn't Morrissey's finest moment, it's true.

Bowie has done shit since the late seventies.

Bowie has a largely done shit since the late seventies, but he continues to have his moments.

I loved most of The Buddha of Suburbia soundtrack and there were a couple of good tracks on Heathen (Everyone Says Hi, in particular, is rather lovely).

But, yeah, a lot of shit, too. :o

Bowie has a largely done shit since the late seventies, but he continues to have his moments.

I loved most of The Buddha of Suburbia soundtrack and there were a couple of good tracks on Heathen (Everyone Says Hi, in particular, is rather lovely).

But, yeah, a lot of shit, too. :o

I tried to like the recent stuff, as it was at least not like the wannabee Nine Inch Nails he was dabbling in the nineties nor the pure crap of the eighties.But, I just have not enjoyed much of any of it.It could be me, I am sure plenty of people have enjoyed it, but I have not.

The sad thing is on another day, maybe another era Bowie could have done a real justice to this song. Instead if killing it stone dead.

3.40 minutes in........David Bowie talks about Morrissey.

I always thought of the english singer, songwriter Morrissey as sort of a sexual Alan Bennett, british playwright because of his attention to detail. He'll take a small subject matter and make a very grandeur statement of it.
His last album Your Arensal was produced ironically by Mick Ronson and Mick send me a copy of the tape and couldn't but notice that one of the songs on the album, I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday was kind of a parody of one of my earlier songs Rock and Roll suicide.
erm and so I thought it would be fun to take that song and do it the way I would have done it in 1974ish.

I love David Bowie,when I watched the video I thought his version lack the soul and emotion that Morrissey has and it quite how I imagined John Lennon would sing it but I've listened again (no video and no lighter, thankfully) and he does bring alot of passion to it. I'm thrilled it's so good as Bowie is still wonderful to me.

Morrissey must have been so touch and moved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love David Bowie,when I watched the video I thought his version lack the soul and emotion that Morrissey has and it quite how I imagined John Lennon would sing it but I've listened again (no video and no lighter, thankfully) and he does bring alot of passion to it. I'm thrilled it's so good as Bowie is still wonderful to me.

Morrissey must have been so touch and moved.

Now THIS would be interesting. I bet Lennon would have done a GREAT job with it. I imagine John and Moz would be rather close if John were still alive? What do you think? :blushing:

It's a good cover. Not his best, but pretty good. We should remember that Morrissey wouldn't likely be Morrissey at all were it not for Bowie.

Morrissey called Strawberry Fields Forever "absolute shit" during a concert on the Ringleader tour. I think it was after they played Human Being and Moz said "well at least it wasn't Starwberry Fields...now that would have been shit, absolute shit...."

He also once said that listing The Beatles as your favoirte band was like saying you like air, i.e.; it is a comment reeking of obviousness and redundancy and unoriginality.

But then again, like Moz, John was very anarchic, yet with John...it was hard to take seriously, because he was so insanely goddamned rich, and everyone sucked his dick. Morrissey would never say, "All You Need Is Love." It's so pompous coming from a multimillionaire.

f*** the Beatles.

They were an awesome band though.

I've read that, about the air comment. Not about the Strawberry Fields comment. The two DO have obvious differences; I would say if it were possible to contrast them to the most extreme degrees, John would very obviously be for peace, but Morrissey might tend more toward anarchism. That's just me :blushing:

And I get what you're saying about the pompous bit, I really do. Idk, something is just sticking out to me that they might be on somewhat good terms if John were still alive. Who knows. :o

Now THIS would be interesting. I bet Lennon would have done a GREAT job with it. I imagine John and Moz would be rather close if John were still alive? What do you think? :blushing:

John Lennon was a tricky one, I like him though.

Ironically it was Paul (as we know) but also George and Ringo who are and were vegetarians whereas John was full of contradictions.

"I don't think animals were meant to be eaten and worn..." but he wore fur and ate fish!

I would have thought Morrissey and Paul would be mates, both geminis, northern, passionate, support Peta and Morrissey was Linda's penpal.
yet John's intelligence and love of iterature but he was glued to Yoko and we all know about her reluctant to let him have freedom.

Back
Top Bottom