Bowie refusal - true-to-you.net

Bowie refusal -true-to-you.net
6 February 2013

Bowie refusal

David Bowie has ordered EMI UK not to run the proposed artwork for Morrissey's April 8th issue of the re-mastered The Last of the Famous International Playboys single and CD. The sleeve featured a previously unseen private photograph of Bowie and Morrissey taken by Linder Sterling in New York in 1992. Although Bowie has no legal rights to the photograph, most of his back catalogue is presently licensed to EMI.

It obviously worked. Once again. For both of them. Sorry, all three of them. Newspapers have picked the story up and now many more people know that Morrissey is about to release a remarstered single. And David Bowie is about to release a new album. And Linder Sterling also got another mention as one of pop music's groupies with a task, click, click.

I still maintain that Moz made a big mistake by slating Bowie on and off since the Outside tour of 1997. Some 16 YEARS ago. Some of his remarks were blatantly bitchy and came across as just petty, spiteful and frankly juvenile; it achieved nothing really and was quite unbecoming to a person of Moz's intellect. And it pains me to say that. Bowie, to his eternal credit, has hardly, if ever, said anything against against Moz since that ill-fated tour and was always complimentary towards him before that. Infact, he described Moz as one of the best songwriters the UK had produced. The only comment I can recall Bowie making was that he was genuinely surprised and nonplussed by Moz's departure. No slagging off, just a kind of puzzled regret that things had turned out that way. Remember, both were musical friends beforehand.

I do not doubt that both would be totally on speaking terms had Moz not consented to do that tour. And all this pent-up bitterness would not exist.

I'll be a Moz fan to the end of my days but that's not to say I'm blinkered by my fandom; on this issue Moz has been wrong. Some of his uncalled for criticisms and sniping over the years towards Bowie has been beneath him. And I think he kind of knows that.

As for Bowie, whether you like him or not (and I do) to deny his vast musical and cultural legacy over the decades is simply stupid. The guy is one of the greats. Simple as that.

Perhaps a dignified truce or silence would now be the best course. Even better, a thawing of hostility.

Bowie release's his best single in years, prepares to release a new album of 'new material', meanwhile Morrissey pepares to re re-release a very patchy 22yr second solo album, 're-issue! re-package! re-package! double-pack with a photograph, extrack (and a tacky badge), sadly this IS your life!

It obviously worked. Once again. For both of them. Sorry, all three of them. Newspapers have picked the story up and now many more people know that Morrissey is about to release a remarstered single. And David Bowie is about to release a new album. And Linder Sterling also got another mention as one of pop music's groupies with a task, click, click.

Yes, what was the intention of posting it on a Morrissey favored site to begin with? He obviously OKed it with the lady that runs it, or even more likely told her to post the news. No one would've known anything about the artwork at all until it was released, they had plenty of time to change it and do so quietly. Morrissey loves playing the press and they buy into it so easily.

Let's all address the real reason Bowie said no to the photo; that saggy mock turtleneck is hideous.

So, Morrissey is the problem because he wanted sleeve art for a song that is about himself and Bowie to be a picture of himself and Bowie, and Bowie turned it down...so it's Morrissey's fault?

Oh but Bowie's best work is still to come, right? At this point Bowie releasing an album is celebrated simply because it means he hasn't died yet. It's a celebration of longevity...not necessarily artistic accomplishment. Same goes for Dylan. I have no strong feelings either way for either Bowie or Dylan; I'm not a big fan of either but I admire sections of their back catalogs and I recognize that in their past they did work that many many people considered extremely influential. But, while I don't care enough to argue the artistic merit or lack thereof of their twilight releases, I feel confident in saying that it's very unlikely that any new album either artist does at this point is going to have a better selling point than simply being a new album by a very old artist. These records may or may not have good material on them, but that almost seems secondary where the celebration is concerned.

All I'm saying is, Bowie should be flattered to have Morrissey want his image on a single. After the abortion that was his 80s output, he should thank Morrissey for speaking so highly about him during that time. Does he need Morrissey? No. And Morrissey doesn't need him. But this debate is over a f***ing picture. What is the big deal? Did you mock Morrissey when Keitel turned down Morrissey's request to make him the cover star of Strangeways, Here We Come?

Yep...that'll solve everything. Right. And it's very likely to happen if we just keep saying it.

I don't think you quite understand the point.
Morrissey has been slagging off bowie saying he is past it, not relavent anymore, he should stop.
Bowie turning down the picture of him and moz is hardly suprising considering he mostly slags him off, so it is partly his fault.

Last edited:
Morrissey has been slagging off bowie saying he is past it, not relavent anymore, he should stop.
Bowie turning down the picture of him and moz is hardly suprising considering he mostly slags him off, so it is partly his fault.
Who knows?
Who cares?

No, I understand it just fine. I just think it's gay.

Let's all address the real reason Bowie said no to the photo; that saggy mock turtleneck is hideous.

I suspect this is nearer the truth. Bowie doesn't like the shot (and, let's face it, it sucks). I'm sure Morrissey wouldn't be too pleased if someone was using a dodgy photo of him to promote their latest release.

No, I understand it just fine. I just think it's gay.

It's not just about the photo. It's the whole, "what is he doing, his records have been crap for ages, he isn't relavant anymore". when Morrissey is in the exactly the same position and is happy to carry on, so why is he bothered that bowie is doing it then? and why don't you accept his mistake.

"It obviously worked. Once again. For both of them. Sorry, all three of them. Newspapers have picked the story up and now many more people know that Morrissey is about to release a remarstered single. And David Bowie is about to release a new album. And Linder Sterling also got another mention as one of pop music's groupies with a task, click, click."

And Linder has a retrospective at the Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris because she's a groupie. Okay.

Last edited:
I still maintain that Moz made a big mistake by slating Bowie on and off since the Outside tour of 1997. Some 16 YEARS ago. Some of his remarks were blatantly bitchy and came across as just petty, spiteful and frankly juvenile; it achieved nothing really and was quite unbecoming to a person of Moz's intellect. And it pains me to say that. Bowie, to his eternal credit, has hardly, if ever, said anything against against Moz since that ill-fated tour and was always complimentary towards him before that. Infact, he described Moz as one of the best songwriters the UK had produced. The only comment I can recall Bowie making was that he was genuinely surprised and nonplussed by Moz's departure. No slagging off, just a kind of puzzled regret that things had turned out that way. Remember, both were musical friends beforehand.

I do not doubt that both would be totally on speaking terms had Moz not consented to do that tour. And all this pent-up bitterness would not exist.

I'll be a Moz fan to the end of my days but that's not to say I'm blinkered by my fandom; on this issue Moz has been wrong. Some of his uncalled for criticisms and sniping over the years towards Bowie has been beneath him. And I think he kind of knows that.

As for Bowie, whether you like him or not (and I do) to deny his vast musical and cultural legacy over the decades is simply stupid. The guy is one of the greats. Simple as that.

Perhaps a dignified truce or silence would now be the best course. Even better, a thawing of hostility.

I agree.

I am not hyper critical of Moz like some people on this board and I have a deep respect for him both as an artist and for the personal impact his music has had on my life. That being said I think walking off the Bowie tour was not a wise move. And while that could have been tolerable I think it was really stupid of Morrissey to years later attack Bowie. It is particularly troublesome that Bowie was still saying relatively kind things about Morrissey after he waked off the tour (with no explanation) and left the door open to working together again. I wasn't exactly wild about everything Bowie's produced, but he was a hell of a lot more than just Ziggy Stardust. And besides it's really just caddy, uncalled, and rude to attack someone the way Moz attacked Bowie.

Of course, there could be more to the story and Morrissey's side of it (Bowie wanting his band to disapear one person at a time and be replaced with Bowie's) indicates that Bowie could be somewhat difficult to deal with. Then again I also get that impression about Morrissey.

Oh dear. This situation is so easy to understand. How can Morrissey fans be so dim? Let me try to explain (in a nutshell).
When 'Playboys' was released, Morrissey was asked who the playboys were. He said that it was him, Bolan and Bowie.
Now that the song is re-released, it's hardly surprising that Morrissey wants a picture of him and one of the 'playboys' on it.
Hope that was clear enough.
Next bit of explanation.
Ever since they toured together in the mid/late 90s, Morrissey has never missed an opportunity to slag David Bowie off in his (increasingly usual) bitchy, twattish and unfunny way. He's called him David Showie (nurse, help, my sides are about to split!), he's said that Bowie's recent albums are rubbish (pots and black kettles, anyone?) and that his guitarists are rubbish (this from someone who thinks Jesse Tobias is a brilliant guitarist/songwriter).
After all that, Morrissey has the nerve to try to use an image of Bowie on his single. You couldn't make it up!
Bowie effectively tells Morrissey (absolutely rightly) to go f*** himself.

Oh dear. This situation is so easy to understand. How can Morrissey fans be so dim? Let me try to explain (in a nutshell).
When 'Playboys' was released, Morrissey was asked who the playboys were. He said that it was him, Bolan and Bowie.
Now that the song is re-released, it's hardly surprising that Morrissey wants a picture of him and one of the 'playboys' on it.
Hope that was clear enough.
Next bit of explanation.
Ever since they toured together in the mid/late 90s, Morrissey has never missed an opportunity to slag David Bowie off in his (increasingly usual) bitchy, twattish and unfunny way. He's called him David Showie (nurse, help, my sides are about to split!), he's said that Bowie's recent albums are rubbish (pots and black kettles, anyone?) and that his guitarists are rubbish (this from someone who thinks Jesse Tobias is a brilliant guitarist/songwriter).
After all that, Morrissey has the nerve to try to use an image of Bowie on his single. You couldn't make it up!
Bowie effectively tells Morrissey (absolutely rightly) to go f*** himself.

Thank you for contributing nothing that hasn't already been said over the past six pages of this thread.

It's not just about the photo. It's the whole, "what is he doing, his records have been crap for ages, he isn't relavant anymore". when Morrissey is in the exactly the same position and is happy to carry on, so why is he bothered that bowie is doing it then? and why don't you accept his mistake.

The same position?

Morrissey's music at 53 vs. Bowie's at 53...Morrissey wins hands down. Bowie's career is hinged on what basically amounted to an early 70s gimmick that shocked mom and dad, with a little genuine greatness peppered in...but not much. Whereas on the whole, Morrissey's career and continuity of integrity have been much more consistent. So I feel that no, they are not in comparable situations. Bowie is very lucky, or should feel lucky, to have a pupil in Morrissey.

In your earlier, longer post you sound like a crazy person, and I can hardly think of anything as strange as using "gay" in the schoolyard/derogative sense while posting to a Morrissey fansite.

Well la di da.

Back
Top Bottom