Boston, MA - Wang Theatre (Oct. 5, 2012) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

You Have Killed Me / Alma Matters / You're The One For Me, Fatty / A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Spring-Heeled Jim / Maladjusted / Let Me Kiss You / To Give (The Reason I Live) / Speedway / Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me / Fantastic Bird / People Are The Same Everywhere / Meat Is Murder / Scandinavia / I Know It's Over / I'm OK By Myself // How Soon Is Now?

set list provided by FROSTY

Last edited:
Have to disagree. Was sitting in Orch Row D towards stage left. Moz was in top form, was playing around with the vocals and was really charging at the upper notes.

While not ultra-chatty in between songs, it must be noted that he and the band were racing through a dense setlist. In between song banter seemed to be a line or two - barely enough time for Boz and Jesse's guitar techs to get them a new guitar and then immediately into the next song. 20 songs in an hour and a half? Not much room for the Mozzer to jibber jabber.

If anything, I would say the way the band attacked the songs and the pacing of the setlist were pretty aggressive. I like the influence of the new drummer. His timing was tight, he absolutely flew through some killer fills - and while he definitely comes across as someone who enjoys beating the hell out of his drum kit, he did a nice job on the quieter numbers. I also have to give a shout-out to Jesse's playing. I also have to say Jesse's playing was incredibly disciplined. At times I've been critical of that chunka-chunka riff/chord thing he can do, which tends to occupy a lot of that same midrange space as Moz's vocals, but last night Jesse was really doing a great job complementing the arrangements. Whether that's a change in the setlist, a change in his approach, or something else - I don't really care, because he nailed it last night.

The whole band pinned it last night - tight tight tight and playing with an intensity that just seemed to give Moz a little extra oomph. Did he talk a lot? No, he just sang his ass off.

Fantastic show. So glad I went.

Good call--I agree with you that Jesse's playing deserves some attention. He's never made much of an impression on me--and I must admit that his songs aren't my favorites--but his playing was really nuanced and artful last night. The man has finesse and great range. I noticed this particularly on Speedway, Scandinavia, and I Know It's Over. And he always looks like a badass when he plays.

I can't really see any detail on t the top row of shirts what are they and besides the apron are there any other little trinkets and such?

An open letter to those sitting around orchestra row O (stage left, around row 30).

To the wiry, bespectacled fellow on my left: While I appreciate your unbridled enthusiasm as much as the next person, having you monotonously yip in your adenoidal way at increasingly higher volumes throughout the concert (both during songs and Morrissey's limited banter) made me want to beat you with a sock full of pennies and dump you in the Charles. However hideous your vocal outbursts were, they are tame and understated compared to those of the gentlemen who was in the row behind us.

To the fellow sitting around row P, seat 36: I do not believe that the projected image of Oscar Wilde with the question "Who is Morrissey" printed above was meant to elicit an actual verbal response. Seemingly, the ironic nature of the image/question was lost on you. While I cannot speak for Morrissey, I am fairly certain he did not want or expect you to repeat the question by shouting, "Who the f*** is Morrissey" at the top of your lungs between each and every single song. You, sir, are an awful person. Short and badly coiffed yipping boy was just annoying; you are boorish and hideous and should seriously consider taking large quantities of opiates and going to an isolated corner of your mother's basement to ruminate over how you have failed so much at life.

I will count myself fortunate beyond measure if I have an opportunity to see Morrissey in concert again, but should I find myself in proximity to you I am certainly going to risk arrest by punching in your pasty throat.

Aside from the shirts, the hoodie, the pillowcase, and the apron, I also saw what looked to be a small bag of badges (pins), a thick black bracelette with "MORRISSEY" in white around it, and two small boxing gloves on a string together (as if for hanging from a review mirror).

Sounds like a great show. What time did he go on? I am trying to gauge when to go in at Terminal 5. Says doors at 7PM, show at 8PM w/ an opening act of Kristeen Young.

thx

Sounds like a great show. What time did he go on? I am trying to gauge when to go in at Terminal 5. Says doors at 7PM, show at 8PM w/ an opening act of Kristeen Young.

thx

Morrissey will walk on stage at 9pm. Though from what I have read about T5, you'll want to get there early, even if you are not interested in being super-close. The reason is the layout of the building is tricky and those arriving at 8:57pm may be stuck with a less than perfect view.

Morrissey will walk on stage at 9pm. Though from what I have read about T5, you'll want to get there early, even if you are not interested in being super-close. The reason is the layout of the building is tricky and those arriving at 8:57pm may be stuck with a less than perfect view.

Plus, Moz's pre-show of movie clips, etc. begins immediately after Kristeen leaves the stage, in case you haven't seen it yet and want to.

Looked like a great gig, nice to see new songs to set list, crowd was a joke, Saw him in Edinburgh and the place was rocking. :guitar:

How was the crowd a joke ??? , seating in America is based on price front row is 300 . It gets cheaper as you move back where I was it was it was a great gig , better I thought than Edinburgh but not as good as Manchester

Perhaps get yourself out to more gigs than just the ones on your own doorstep

Probably too late, but one last thing I forgot to mention is that Moz seemed to be wearing his "fat" jeans, as he must have pulled them up no less than 10 times during the show.

He was making fun of the theatre, saying Winnie Wang painted the walls and ceiling and must have run out of paint or something like that.

so was winnie wong there as i'm certain that's who he was referencing?

Went to Boston show and Portland...both were epic, however, Portland wins for me as i could almost touch him when he reached to the audience....

Belated post, but I have to say that the Boston, MA show left me speechless - such an unexpected set list, every song was an incredible surprise. He was mixing new tracks ('Scandinavia') with rare tracks (like 'Excellent Bird") and really unexpected numbers (like 'Spring-Heeled Jim'). There were some incredibly wonderful moments; watching the crowd come to tears as the opening strains of 'Everyday is Like Sunday' began, or the hard edged 'Maladjusted' belted out at volume number 11... This is my third Morrissey show, and I'd say it's probably the best I've yet seen. The band was wicked tight, he was in top form, and the crowd was completely swept up in the moment. I can't wait for the album to come out - and I'm convinced it WILL come out, he's simply got too much energy around him not to.

I'm sitting in my living room while Hurricane Sandy (or the winds preceding her) are whirling around my house. Since Boston is essentially closed, I have been home all day with time on my hands. This is how I discovered this thread. I was lucky lucky lucky to be at Morrissey's show at the Wang on October 5th, though it took some convincing to get me to go. I hadn't seem him since August 1986, when the Smiths did a concert on the Pier in NYC (opened by Phranc, the Jewish lesbian folksinger - that is how she billed herself; she looked like Emilio Estevez). It was my 4th Smiths show, and I had no reason to believe that it would be my last. I was a ridiculously hysterical Smiths fan from 1983 until they broke up, and continued to follow Morrissey through his first 4 solo recordings. Then I had children, and my life of music slowly disappeared. I started going to concerts again when Ray Davies started doing solo gigs, and have even picked up some bands along the way (I've seen of Montreal 14 times), but I didn't want to see Morrissey. I thought I could only be disappointed. Friends of mine got tickets, and I had to do a crash course on his later material, but by the time October 5th arrived, I was pretty well educated. Halfway through You Have Killed Me, I was the same hysterical fan I was in 1986, when Ronald Reagan (uggh) was still president. I loved the set, and found both old and new songs very moving. Yes, I'm an old fan, so I was particularly shattered by I Know It's Over, but Fantastic Bird and Maladjusted were also mesmerizing. Hell, the whole show was spell-binding, except I've never been able to handle the abattoir visual accessories of Meat Is Murder. For those of you criticizing the audience, all I can say is that I was halfway back, everyone was on his feet, and the people around me seemed genuinely entranced. At 5'2", I'm glad that I didn't have some giant goon maniacs near me, spilling their beer and shouting. What I probably loved best is that Morrissey is still loved, actually more loved in the States than he was when the Smiths were together. It is very gratifying to me that the lyrics of Little Man, What Now? have not defined the trajectory of this great artist's career. When I used to worry that he would kill himself someday, my best friend and total Smiths devotee used to calm me by saying, "When he's fifty, he'll be doing Vegas." I'm glad that he's still here to do whatever he wants.

"

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom