books

patten

Next week I'm going to Spain for a relaxing holiday in the sun.
Can anyone suggest some good books to take with me?

Try something of John Irving or Graham Greene...

Well, quite lame topic. Maybe you can try to tell us first what books you like to read?

I took Catch 22 with me on holiday recently, what a great book.

Electric Kool Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe or Making History by Stephen Fry. :D

'A confederacy of dunces' was quite good. Or anything by Magnus Mills (although his early stuff is the best)

"the social construction of reality", by peter berger & thomas luckmann... what a choice!! :D

any one of p.g. wodehouse's jeeves & wooster novels (particularly "the code of the woosters"): fantastic prose; absolutely unparallelled comic writing. the man was a genius with words.

alternatively, any of john mortimer's "rumpole" collections.

or, for sheer piss-yourself-laughing hilarity, tom sharpe's "the midden"

For light hearted reading I like David Nobbs' books.
I bought some on a trip to England many years ago. I don't have them all but realy enjoyed the ones I read. I will have to look at ebay UK to see if I can pick up some more.

As I recall, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, was the first ever book that made me laugh outloud while reading it. I was on the airplane returning from London. It caused people to look in my direction.

Reginald Perrin
Death of Reginald Perrin (1975)
aka The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
The Return of Reginald Perrin (1977)
3. Better World of Reginald Perrin (1978)
The Complete Reginald Perrin (omnibus) (1990)
The Legacy of Reginald Perrin (1995)
The Reginald Perrin Omnibus (omnibus) (1999)

Bit of a Do
A Bit of a Do (1986)
2. Fair Do's (1990)

Pratt
Second from Last in the Sack Race (1983)
2. Pratt of the Argus (1988)
The Life and Times of Henry Pratt: Second from Last in the Sack Race / Pratt of the Argus (omnibus) (1992)
The Cucumber Man (1994)
The Complete Pratt: Second from Last in the Sack Race / Pratt of the Argus / Cucumber Man (omnibus) (1998)
Pratt a Manger (2006)

Nikita said:
House of leaves is a little bit hard to be read on a sunny beach
Yeah, you are probably right. But what the hell would I know of sunny beaches?

For some reason, I can see myself lugging an old copy of Hawthorne's Twice Told-Tales for a bit of light seaside reading, dipping in at dazed and drowsy intervals... Only the unabridged edition will do, for the charm of the work lies in in its more incidental pieces.

33977vy9.jpg

Twice Told-Tales online

The Seeker of Good Songs said:
For light hearted reading I like David Nobbs' books.
I bought some on a trip to England many years ago. I don't have them all but realy enjoyed the ones I read. I will have to look at ebay UK to see if I can pick up some more.

As I recall, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, was the first ever book that made me laugh outloud while reading it. I was on the airplane returning from London. It caused people to look in my direction.

Reginald Perrin
Death of Reginald Perrin (1975)
aka The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
The Return of Reginald Perrin (1977)
3. Better World of Reginald Perrin (1978)
The Complete Reginald Perrin (omnibus) (1990)
The Legacy of Reginald Perrin (1995)
The Reginald Perrin Omnibus (omnibus) (1999)

Bit of a Do
A Bit of a Do (1986)
2. Fair Do's (1990)

Pratt
Second from Last in the Sack Race (1983)
2. Pratt of the Argus (1988)
The Life and Times of Henry Pratt: Second from Last in the Sack Race / Pratt of the Argus (omnibus) (1992)
The Cucumber Man (1994)
The Complete Pratt: Second from Last in the Sack Race / Pratt of the Argus / Cucumber Man (omnibus) (1998)
Pratt a Manger (2006)

i take my hat off to you, sir. :)

Back
Top Bottom