BoogalooRadio: Alain Whyte interview (broadcast April 24, 2022)

FB_IMG_1650825061350.jpg

Back on the show today for the 3rd time - he can’t stay away even though he tries to - it’s Alain Whyte. He’s in the Morrissey band, co-writing and ‘having both’ with a cracking side hustle of gifted playdads: Gary All Day, Spend A Penny Cobrin and Craig no gammon Gannon. Full interview including the new name for this nutritious side salad of musicians. Well, potential name. I mean, my *suggestion* but he did score it a ten. With all of these musical projects in this multi mega talented busy hectic musical guitar singer songwriter general firecracker life how is it all gonna work out for Alain Whyte? TELL ME. He’s all Whyte…

Alain Whyte joins Julie for another chat about how life is treating him both in and out of Morrissey's band.

Oh West Hampstead, so much to answer for....

Listen here:

With thanks to Julie Hamill.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to arrogantly write "I don't have time to listen to this" and I will probably do so at a later date because Julie does a really good job with a lot of passion, but I would be really grateful if you could perhaps write down a few key statements here. How far along are the new recordings with Morrissey, what is generally in the pipeline in connection with Morrissey? So far, almost nothing has leaked out here, or have they not been specific at all?
Although it's a long show, Alain doesn't come in for the first half hour, and I think he's gone before about the last half hour. Plus, you can use the slide bar at the bottom of the screen to skip the music tracks if you want. But to answer your question, no, nothing specific was said about release timings for new Morrissey music, just that Alain wants to do another record with him, he's got material and wants to write more too.

Any drummer that goes through an entire song on a tour date without realizing his band mates are on a completely different song cannot be the sharpest tool in the shed.

can you remind me what this situation was? I genuinely don't remember that happening (but my memory is patchy, at best...)

Although it's a long show, Alain doesn't come in for the first half hour, and I think he's gone before about the last half hour. Plus, you can use the slide bar at the bottom of the screen to skip the music tracks if you want. But to answer your question, no, nothing specific was said about release timings for new Morrissey music, just that Alain wants to do another record with him, he's got material and wants to write more too.
A big "Thank you". I listend over my smartphone and really didn't see a ff button. After 25 minutes I had to leave but liked the music she played. Did I get it right: He has done new recordings for him or with him and wants to do more?

Last edited:
can you remind me what this situation was? I genuinely don't remember that happening (but my memory is patchy, at best...)

"Two years later, in Paris, Nick Kent is visible in the crowd as my new band launch into our comic-opera version of the New York Dolls’ Trash (although comic opera was never the intent). I am confused by Kent’s presence since his repulsion had made itself clear throughout his Morrissey assassination for The Face. Unfortunately for me, during this rendition of Trash, drummer Spencer plays an entirely different song throughout. Looking all Dostoevsky in a caped coat, Nick Kent lets loose a cold-blooded smile as the song blunders on and on and on with nothing to save it from death. Backstage my rage is soaked in sorrow, but Spencer displays only scorn. Weeks later, having heard a bootleg of the Paris night, Spencer now has no choice but to confess. ‘Yes, I was playing a completely different song,’ he laughs.
Abandon all hope ye who sing here."

Regards,
FWD.

A big "Thank you". I listend over my smartphone and really didn't see a ff button. After 25 minutes I had to leave but liked the music she played. Did I get it right: He has done new recordings for him or with him and wants to do more?
I'd have to listen again to be sure but my understanding was that Alain was writing music for Morrissey even before he was asked to rejoin the band, but that it hasn't got to the stage of finished recordings so far.

Alain Whyte says nothing, we don't already know. It's as if he's been muzzled. It's particularly visible in the question about Boz He doesn't answer the question, only says that Morrissey has great respect for Boz Boorer (or something like that). It's amazing how reserved Alain is in everything. He doesn't know anything about UK concerts and wants to make a record with Morrissey. What have you been doing in LA for the last 10 months? Alain just seems happy to be there, I don't think he has a leadership position in the band and he remains friendly and noncommittal. It's amazing that Morrissey is bringing him back where he is with Gannon, Gaz and Spence. Really extraordinary.

Alain Whyte says nothing, we don't already know. It's as if he's been muzzled. It's particularly visible in the question about Boz He doesn't answer the question, only says that Morrissey has great respect for Boz Boorer (or something like that). It's amazing how reserved Alain is in everything. He doesn't know anything about UK concerts and wants to make a record with Morrissey. What have you been doing in LA for the last 10 months? Alain just seems happy to be there, I don't think he has a leadership position in the band and he remains friendly and noncommittal. It's amazing that Morrissey is bringing him back where he is with Gannon, Gaz and Spence. Really extraordinary.
My take on the Boz question was simply its not his question to answer as its not his band.

My take on the Boz question was simply its not his question to answer as its not his band.
But he is a friend of Boz. He must know what happened. His answer is halting, the basic tone sad. There is a short, uncomfortable pause before Julie blabs on.

But he is a friend of Boz. He must know what happened. His answer is halting, the basic tone sad. There is a short, uncomfortable pause before Julie blabs on.
I’m sure he does, but as I said, it’s not his place to elucidate any further. That’s up to either Moz, Boz or both.

I’m sure he does, but as I said, it’s not his place to elucidate any further. That’s up to either Moz, Boz or both.
As far as I recall,we didn't really get any public statements when Alain left either. Just a rumour posted here some time after about Alain being dumped in the carpark at day 1 of Years of Refusal recording session, and the gradual realisation he wasn't coming back. We could well get similar radio silence regarding Boz.

As far as I recall,we didn't really get any public statements when Alain left either. Just a rumour posted here some time after about Alain being dumped in the carpark at day 1 of Years of Refusal recording session, and the gradual realisation he wasn't coming back. We could well get similar radio silence regarding Boz.
Displeasure rarely gets out when it comes to leaving Morrissey's environment. Gary and Spence are probably the only ones. It's amazing that Morrissey has contacted Alain now (the Lockdown videos certainly helped). Alain's influence on ROTT and Refusal became less and less, almost invisible. Indeed, his new single "Tell me" sounds like an echo of the much loved Maladjusted Sessions. The typical, indulgent Whyte guitar motifs, only one would have wished for lyrics by Morrissey (97) and his vocals to go with it. My humble assumption is that Boz:

1.) Had enough of the bad public image of Morrissey and therefore his band.
2.) Has worked enough and just doesn't feel like it anymore.

Anyway, it remains intimate and within the circle, like so much of Morrissey's business and private life, which speaks for the Mozzer.

"Two years later, in Paris, Nick Kent is visible in the crowd as my new band launch into our comic-opera version of the New York Dolls’ Trash (although comic opera was never the intent). I am confused by Kent’s presence since his repulsion had made itself clear throughout his Morrissey assassination for The Face. Unfortunately for me, during this rendition of Trash, drummer Spencer plays an entirely different song throughout. Looking all Dostoevsky in a caped coat, Nick Kent lets loose a cold-blooded smile as the song blunders on and on and on with nothing to save it from death. Backstage my rage is soaked in sorrow, but Spencer displays only scorn. Weeks later, having heard a bootleg of the Paris night, Spencer now has no choice but to confess. ‘Yes, I was playing a completely different song,’ he laughs.

Regards,
FWD.

thanks FWD!

Regards,
FWD.

Wasn't Paris the second gig? No wonder it was a little rough.

Displeasure rarely gets out when it comes to leaving Morrissey's environment. Gary and Spence are probably the only ones. It's amazing that Morrissey has contacted Alain now (the Lockdown videos certainly helped). Alain's influence on ROTT and Refusal became less and less, almost invisible. Indeed, his new single "Tell me" sounds like an echo of the much loved Maladjusted Sessions. The typical, indulgent Whyte guitar motifs, only one would have wished for lyrics by Morrissey (97) and his vocals to go with it. My humble assumption is that Boz:

Anyway, it remains intimate and within the circle, like so much of Morrissey's business and private life, which speaks for the Mozzer.

Bands with members in different continents - Boz in Europe and the rest in the US, and another band with four UK members and one US member (who hasn't been part of the tour since March 2020) - are having to change lineups and reshuffle because US>Europe travel is unreliable at the moment. It's very likely that if Boz lived in, say, Wisconsin, there'd be no change.

Displeasure rarely gets out when it comes to leaving Morrissey's environment. Gary and Spence are probably the only ones.
:confused:

Gary and Spence are 'displeasures':confused:

It's amazing that Morrissey has contacted Alain now (the Lockdown videos certainly helped). Alain's influence on ROTT and Refusal became less and less, almost invisible. Indeed, his new single "Tell me" sounds like an echo of the much loved Maladjusted Sessions. The typical, indulgent Whyte guitar motifs, only one would have wished for lyrics by Morrissey (97) and his vocals to go with it. My humble assumption is that Boz:

:confused:
its settled then, tho amazing Moz contacted Alain, its not
so amazing due to the 'lockdown sessions':confused:
like always you make perfect sense.:rolleyes:
before this post we were all blind but now we can see👓

:hammer:

I don't want to arrogantly write "I don't have time to listen to this" and I will probably do so at a later date because Julie does a really good job with a lot of passion, but I would be really grateful if you could perhaps write down a few key statements here. How far along are the new recordings with Morrissey, what is generally in the pipeline in connection with Morrissey? So far, almost nothing has leaked out here, or have they not been specific at all?
Yeah I wouldn't bother listening to it. I've just done so so you didn't have to. In an hour and 40 minutes she got very little out of him and half of it was songs.

She asked him which songs have you enjoyed playing since being back. Weirdly he said Morning Starship and less weirdly, Knock About World.

Apparently when they got together as a band in 92 Morrissey was thinking of having a name for the band instead of going by the moniker Morrissey. Alain wanted to be called Morrissey & the International Playboys.

Just a brief mention about it's great you are going to be writing an album with Morrissey but she didn't continue with that statement at all. She could've asked him what albums or songs have you liked of Morrissey's since you left the band but nothing there. He just said it's really great being back with Morrissey and that the guys are a great bunch to play with.

Really very little to chew on. She wasted a lot of time proposing ridiculous names he could use for his band with the old Moz troop which was cringe.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom