Bonhams: "Live In Session" - Property From The John Peel Archive catalogue available (Smiths items listed) Auction due June 14, 2022

An update on the John Peel auction:
Catalogue listings of 200 lots now online - an interesting & eclectic mix of items.
A few Smiths bits worth mentioning too.

Their first tape to him (rather wonderful):

image.jpeg
image (2).jpeg
image (1).jpeg

Est: £500 - £700

Peel's The Smiths: A 'Gold' Disc Award For The Album Hatful Of Hollow:

image (4).jpeg

Est: £400 - £600

The Smiths: An Autographed Copy Of The Single What Difference Does It Make?/Back To The Old House/These Things Take Time:

image (3).jpeg

image (6).jpeg
image (5).jpeg

Est: £1,000 - £1,500

The Smiths: A Test Pressing Of The Debut Single Hand In Glove/Handsome Devil:

image (8).jpeg
image (7).jpeg

Est: £400 - £600

I suspect the demo tape will do much better than estimate - that's a real bit of history.
Auction takes place June 14, 2022.
"... sinfully handsome" :)
Regards,
FWD.

Me tought it was What do ye see in Him

The title? In the lyrics i thought I heard him bouncing between him/her (?) though I haven’t listened to it in a while.

And what do they mean by ‘Smiths first tape’

Their first live from sound board tape I’d guess would be more accurate. Not from their first show and not some obscure tape of M & Marr’s first songs together.

It’s cool, but …. $£ :unsure:

Anyway, rarer would be a copy of Hand in Glove on the ‘Miracle label’ !

It seems that these items are being offered for auction by John Peel's family. Isn't it a bit shabby to sell the demo tapes if they are of historical importance in British music history, given that they were presumably sent by the Smiths to John Peel when he was being paid as a BBC radio presenter?
It's shabby alright.

If I were M, I would be tempted to use this as further evidence that Smiths, were he and Johnny
The UK court decision was gross. The UK legal system is awful.
This quite clearly shows most people including his employers thought of Smiths as a Marr and M project
Also, it does support that Smiths were Johnny's band and he did go out and dust off M and help him out
I agree with this. The vinyl sleeve with “all music by Johnny Marr” is what stands out to me. I don’t believe they all agreed to a 25% split and had they done it, why would they let Marr take all the credit for the music on the sleeve? I’m sure that’s printed elsewhere on other releases too.

Whyy shouldn't Peel's family sell this stuff when they were his possessions? You want to be given this stuff for free? Or for the BBC to be given all the proceeds?

I think that tape should have been offered or gifted to Morrissey or Marr by the Peel family.
Not sold to the highest bidder

It seems that these items are being offered for auction by John Peel's family. Isn't it a bit shabby to sell the demo tapes if they are of historical importance in British music history, given that they were presumably sent by the Smiths to John Peel when he was being paid as a BBC radio presenter?
No

It's shabby alright.
That post about the massacre was shabby as f***. He’s reinventing f***ing shabby. It’s been shabby since 1997; often worse.

Still fond of him though. Don’t mind shabby.

It appears that the Demo tape has Morrissey's handwriting at the bottom? The intro letter is so well written. It can't be someone at the label. Reads like Morrissey as well.

The title? In the lyrics i thought I heard him bouncing between him/her (?) though I haven’t listened to it in a while.

I think he does use both in the song, but it's interesting to see it listed here as "What Do You See In Her?" because for years we've all assumed the title was "Him" - apparently we all had it wrong.

Always nice to learn new things about those early days.

Miracle Records​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
Miracle Records was an independent American record label, established in Chicago, Illinois, United States, in 1946 to record and issue rhythm and blues, jazz and gospel music.
The company was established in August 1946 by Chicago-born businessman Lee L. Egalnick (1921–2000).[1][2] It released records by musicians including Rudi Richardson, Memphis Slim, Sonny Thompson, Piney Brown, Dick Davis [de], Gladys Palmer, Eddie Chamblee, Al Hibbler, and Robert Anderson.[2]
In 1948, Memphis Slim's "Messin' Around", and Sonny Thompson's "Long Gone" and "Late Freight" all made No. 1 on the US Billboard R&B chart. (known at the time as the "Race Records" chart).[3]
Egalnick left the label in 1950 to found Premium Records, and his associate Lew Simpkins soon followed, closing the label down.[2]
The name was later used by unrelated record labels in Australia[4] and the UK[5] during the 1970s.

References​

1654568775831.png

Some nice items making large prices today.
Smiths-related results:
(Results as they come in).

Screenshot_20220614-155918~2.png

(2200 without fees)

Screenshot_20220614-165222~2.png

Wow.

Screenshot_20220614-165636~2.png

Screenshot_20220614-170514~2.png

That's the lot.
Regards,
FWD.

Trending Threads