Bonhams: "Live In Session" - Property From The John Peel Archive catalogue available (Smiths items listed) Auction due June 14, 2022

An update on the John Peel auction:
Catalogue listings of 200 lots now online - an interesting & eclectic mix of items.
A few Smiths bits worth mentioning too.

Their first tape to him (rather wonderful):

image.jpeg
image (2).jpeg
image (1).jpeg

Est: £500 - £700

Peel's The Smiths: A 'Gold' Disc Award For The Album Hatful Of Hollow:

image (4).jpeg

Est: £400 - £600

The Smiths: An Autographed Copy Of The Single What Difference Does It Make?/Back To The Old House/These Things Take Time:

image (3).jpeg

image (6).jpeg
image (5).jpeg

Est: £1,000 - £1,500

The Smiths: A Test Pressing Of The Debut Single Hand In Glove/Handsome Devil:

image (8).jpeg
image (7).jpeg

Est: £400 - £600

I suspect the demo tape will do much better than estimate - that's a real bit of history.
Auction takes place June 14, 2022.
"... sinfully handsome" :)
Regards,
FWD.

Add:
The Smiths: A Test Pressing Of The Single Girlfriend In A Coma/Work Is A 4 Letter Word/I Keep Mine Hidden:

image (2).jpeg
image (3).jpeg
image (1).jpeg

Est: £4,000 - £6,000 (typo?).
FWD.

1654025223528.jpeg

‘…their first 45 released in three weeks time on the Miracle label.’

:unsure:

i assume a joke ?

GT: guilty of, not only "bloody awful poetry", but absolutely undecipherable handwriting.
Christ!

Really - seemed clear to me:

"Dear John Peel - I heard you were sad at Smiths news, this is a very sad day for me as well. I thought since we began with you we should mark this day by letting you be the first to hear what will be, not the last but perhaps the penultimate Smith's single in its present incarnation.
Thanks for all your massive support of everything the Smiths have done.
(Here's hoping to a reconciliation, if not to a shining future for both Morrissey & Johnny).

sinfully handsome,get that on a t-shirt.
can anyone decipher that letter above,handwriting even edward nygma would struggle to read.

Just the 33% premium on top then

If I were M, I would be tempted to use this as further evidence that Smiths, were he and Johnny
The UK court decision was gross. The UK legal system is awful.
This quite clearly shows most people including his employers thought of Smiths as a Marr and M project
Also, it does support that Smiths were Johnny's band and he did go out and dust off M and help him out

If I were M, I would be tempted to use this as further evidence that Smiths, were he and Johnny
The UK court decision was gross. The UK legal system is awful.
This quite clearly shows most people including his employers thought of Smiths as a Marr and M project
Also, it does support that Smiths were Johnny's band and he did go out and dust off M and help him out
M? M. M.

It seems that these items are being offered for auction by John Peel's family. Isn't it a bit shabby to sell the demo tapes if they are of historical importance in British music history, given that they were presumably sent by the Smiths to John Peel when he was being paid as a BBC radio presenter?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom