Morrissey Central "Bonfire Unlit" (November 14, 2022)

full

'Bonfire of Teenagers' is no longer scheduled for a February release, as stated by this site. Its fate is exclusively in the hands of Capitol Records (Los Angeles.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, what a shambles. BOTT always worked best as a half-formed thing, a Stretford 'Basement Tapes' or a Prestwich 'Black' album. The cold light of day has been much less kind.

The problem is the actual songs have hardly thrived in the open air, have they? 'Veronica' is at best a Squeeze b-side, BOTT had an initial shock value with its (deserved) skewering of performative grief - but the actual song?

We remain convinced that SE,TTR is an embarrassment akin to being lectured by a middle-manager about his insurance premiums going up and the difficulty in finding a high-yield pension account. In short, everything he once flounced against now internalised.

Interesting that the current highlight is RWA which achieves this by raiding CG for that gorgeous tune.

BOTT should remain unreleased. No longer entirely a mystery to us but with a faded patina of rarity that may sustain the myth a little longer.

We're getting to the end, aren't we?

Oh, what a shambles. BOTT always worked best as a half-formed thing, a Stretford 'Basement Tapes' or a Prestwich 'Black' album. The cold light of day has been much less kind.

The problem is the actual songs have hardly thrived in the open air, have they? 'Veronica' is at best a Squeeze b-side, BOTT had an initial shock value with its (deserved) skewering of performative grief - but the actual song?

We remain convinced that SE,TTR is an embarrassment akin to being lectured by a middle-manager about his insurance premiums going up and the difficulty in finding a high-yield pension account. In short, everything he once flounced against now internalised.

Interesting that the current highlight is RWA which achieves this by raiding CG for that gorgeous tune.

BOTT should remain unreleased. No longer entirely a mystery to us but with a faded patina of rarity that may sustain the myth a little longer.

Seems a bit harsh to be honest.

Absolute nonsense. I cannot, cannot, cannot believe that SER still has domain over Central. Constantly posting any stupid video or any youtuber who mentions Morrissey (no matter what agenda they’re invoking him for) and now his big mouth most likely botched this incredible plan Capitol put forward. SER has got to go.

BOT, I’m sure, is a fantastic album. The songs sound great live, the band and production is shared with Iggy Pop’s new single “Frenzy” and they sound fantastic there. Even the album art is good. All signs point to BOT being Morrissey’s best album in years.

I was never a fan of any of the Chiccarelli stuff. Everything after Ringleader, to me, is a lull for Moz (Minus a few bangers). I truly believe that if BOT comes out, it will do good numbers. I remember that interview between Moz and SER where Moz says “Veronica” is as good a single as This Charming Man or First of the Gang. I’d have to agree.

Absolutely maddening that this debacle with the release continues…. A digital release and this album could be on Spotify tomorrow

I agree with you regarding Chicarelli’s production; it’s terrible & sucked the life out of many a great song which sounded much better performed live.

However, I disagree with you about I Am Veronica; it is nowhere near the quality of such career-high singles as This Charming Man or First of the Gang to Die. Each of those songs has stellar music, evocative lyrics, & great choruses/melodies. Veronica, on the other hand, has a hooky opening vocal melody & little else to recommend itself. The lyrics are vague to the point of being meaningless - especially the guff section about fish, dolphins, & owls - & the remainder is simply forgettable. It seems that in recent years, Moz has developed a bit of a habit of attempting to release hooky singles with no substance in a desperate attempt to gain some radio play. Spent the Day in Bed was similar & one of the very worst songs he has ever released.

Veronica is my least favourite track from the (hopefully) upcoming album. So far…

But I feel like "getting to the end" is where I want Morrissey to be! Not in terms of no more songs, but more a relentless, ever darkening focus on his own increasing frailty and demise. (And yes, I know he's "only" 63 etc...)

For me the standout songs from the "album" so far are "Oblivion" and "Saint" - both of which deal with death and decay and both of which, to me, feel like by far the best use of his talents, at this point. I feel the same way as you do about SE,TTR (Sam Esty, Technology Tw*at Rayner) - but if M keeps coming up with more morbid songs about fading away, I'll be happy!

We're all 'getting to the end'. That process starts the day we are born. None of us know when the end will come. But it will come. All things must pass.
I love what I have heard of BOT. Can't wait to get to know every song intimately on my ipod and play loudly on the sound system in my flat.
What may definitely be coming to an end is the interest of the record labels. That really is sad. He has just got to bypass them. I have no doubt Moz has 1 or 2 albums left in him yet. But at some point he will stop, that is a given.

But I feel like "getting to the end" is where I want Morrissey to be! Not in terms of no more songs, but more a relentless, ever darkening focus on his own increasing frailty and demise. (And yes, I know he's "only" 63 etc...)

For me the standout songs from the "album" so far are "Oblivion" and "Saint" - both of which deal with death and decay and both of which, to me, feel like by far the best use of his talents, at this point. I feel the same way as you do about SE,TTR (Sam Esty, Technology Tw*at Rayner) - but if M keeps coming up with more morbid songs about fading away, I'll be happy!
We're all 'getting to the end'. That process starts the day we are born. None of us know when the end will come. But it will come. All things must pass.
I love what I have heard of BOT. Can't wait to get to know every song intimately on my ipod and play loudly on the sound system in my flat.
What may definitely be coming to an end is the interest of the record labels. That really is sad. He has just got to bypass them. I have no doubt Moz has 1 or 2 albums left in him yet. But at some point he will stop, that is a given.

ignore the negative Nancy that Bonaparte is, comes late to the party to shit on it, what a snooze.

Meanwhile M continues a forward success.

Lol ……..……. 👇

Last edited:
ignore the negative Nancy that Bonaparte is, comes late to the party to shit on it, what a snooze.

Meanwhile M continues a forward success.
We remember you, we do. 4 February 1983. We tripped from the Hacienda to the Cornerhouse bogs and did what one did in those happy days. We remember you, because we remember, that's what we do!

If this album does turn out to be Morrissey's swansong, it will be a stunning one. Everything about it has that final, 'full circle' feeling - the artwork, nostalgia for things long gone, the weariness, fears about the prospect of old age, etc. This is Steven from Stretford signing off, in f***ing fury. I love it already.

I agree with you regarding Chicarelli’s production; it’s terrible & sucked the life out of many a great song which sounded much better performed live.

However, I disagree with you about I Am Veronica; it is nowhere near the quality of such career-high singles as This Charming Man or First of the Gang to Die. Each of those songs has stellar music, evocative lyrics, & great choruses/melodies. Veronica, on the other hand, has a hooky opening vocal melody & little else to recommend itself. The lyrics are vague to the point of being meaningless - especially the guff section about fish, dolphins, & owls - & the remainder is simply forgettable. It seems that in recent years, Moz has developed a bit of a habit of attempting to release hooky singles with no substance in a desperate attempt to gain some radio play. Spent the Day in Bed was similar & one of the very worst songs he has ever released.

Veronica is my least favourite track from the (hopefully) upcoming album. So far…
I agree -- except for Spent the Day in Bed, which was actually a funny song with a point, very Morrissey. But like you write, I Am Veronica has a nice tune but lyrically borders on the nonsensical, so it's very hard to imagine anyone pricking up their ears like they did with Spent five years ago. Kiss Me a Lot was also a disaster: a very slight lyric coupled with a not even very catchy tune. Absolutely no-one wants to hear a fifty-something man crooning about slobbering somebody with kisses.

I agree -- except for Spent the Day in Bed, which was actually a funny song with a point, very Morrissey. But like you write, I Am Veronica has a nice tune but lyrically borders on the nonsensical, so it's very hard to imagine anyone pricking up their ears like they did with Spent five years ago. Kiss Me a Lot was also a disaster: a very slight lyric coupled with a not even very catchy tune. Absolutely no-one wants to hear a fifty-something man crooning about slobbering somebody with kisses.

We’ll have to agree to disagree regarding Spent the Day in Bed. Yes, it has a very Morrissey-type message, but it’s executed so badly: the lyrics are so awful; I literally cannot listen to it.

As for Kiss Me A Lot: yes, it’s slight, but knowingly so, & I actually find it to be a catchy, simple little pop single. Much like The Bullfighter Dies, which was my other favourite silly single offering a little light relief from from the otherwise overly-serious World Peace…album.

And once again, Morrissey and his dutiful nephew snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Oh well, he’ll never learn…..

And once again, Morrissey and his dutiful nephew snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Oh well, he’ll never learn…..

On this glorious occasion...of the splendid defeat

The story is old …. there shouldn’t be any surprise

On this glorious occasion...of the splendid defeat

The story is old …. there shouldn’t be any surprise
Perhaps not, but don’t you wish things were different for him? Surely a man of his talent and significance deserves better than this chaotic mess of a career? Surely he deserves people in his corner that actually know what they’re doing? I find it impossible not to feel utterly and hopelessly frustrated with him and his people constantly f***ing things up.

Perhaps not, but don’t you wish things were different for him? Surely a man of his talent and significance deserves better than this chaotic mess of a career? Surely he deserves people in his corner that actually know what they’re doing? I find it impossible not to feel utterly and hopelessly frustrated with him and his people constantly f***ing things up.

Different for him? in someways, sure.

Deserves better? Sure, but from both sides there are problematic issues that put him in the current situation. I never claimed Morrissey is blameless, nor have I claimed that his actions are the sole reason for this current situation.

There probably are a few different reasons why some are frustrated with the situation that we perceive him to be in. There is mostly speculation in regards to how Morrissey himself feels about it. But more importantly, how we feel about it, especially the negativity,
doesn’t seem to be of much benefit, unless you enjoy keeping yourself sick, or enjoy being angry. But that’s not to say that I’m trying to stop anyone from choosing how they feel about it, though, the keyword here is ‘choose’, so be wise.

Anyone having anything nice for their teas?

We're thinking of trotting up to Spoons on the 'Dilly to see if there's anything nice on the two-for-one menu.

We will then para-diddle across to the 'Shakespeare' - where all the rough sort go.

It passes the time.

Different for him? in someways, sure.

Deserves better? Sure, but from both sides there are problematic issues that put him in the current situation. I never claimed Morrissey is blameless, nor have I claimed that his actions are the sole reason for this current situation.

There probably are a few different reasons why some are frustrated with the situation that we perceive him to be in. There is mostly speculation in regards to how Morrissey himself feels about it. But more importantly, how we feel about it, especially the negativity,
doesn’t seem to be of much benefit, unless you enjoy keeping yourself sick, or enjoy being angry. But that’s not to say that I’m trying to stop anyone from choosing how they feel about it, though, the keyword here is ‘choose’, so be wise.
Do you choose every feeling you experience or just the ones concerning Morrissey?

I care for the man. I want him to have a successful career, surrounded by people that know what they’re doing and know what’s best for him career-wise. His current situation is pathetic.

Do you choose every feeling you experience or just the ones concerning Morrissey?
In any situation I do my best to correct myself, to see things clearer, yes. It’s an ongoing practice.
I care for the man. I want him to have a successful career, surrounded by people that know what they’re doing and know what’s best for him career-wise. His current situation is pathetic.

Not just M, but I feel that way about anyone that is trying to do good and not harming others.

In any situation I do my best to correct myself, to see things clearer, yes. It’s an ongoing practice.

Not just M, but I feel that way about anyone that is trying to do good and not harming others.
Is it working or are you conning yourself? I feel one should allow oneself to feel anything. Sometimes it’s only natural to feel pain, sorrow, anger or frustration.

Of course. Therefor you should probably feel frustrated that this is not the case for Morrissey.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom