Morrissey Central "BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS, RIP" (February 13, 2023) - Morrissey vs Capitol Records

20C9B95B-45BE-4406-B21F-065BD6184F78.jpeg

Capitol Records (Los Angeles) proudly promotes Sam Smith’s ‘satanism’; yet they consider the honest truth of Morrissey’s factual ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ to be their biggest threat and they will not release it despite their contractual obligation and promise to do so.

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn’t we get introduced to that pic, albeit not in those colors, if colored at all, in The Severed Alliance ? Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
I have a copy around the house somewhere, I can take a look later, but I think you are right

Edit- I can see FWD found it

Last edited:
Didn’t we get introduced to that pic, albeit not in those colors, if colored at all, in The Severed Alliance ? Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
Yes, black & white (Chapter: 'Half A Person').
FWD.

I reckon it was Miley's lawyer who explained to Capitol just why the title track of BOT was so sensitive and inflammatory and why therefore Miley didn't want to be associated with the album. Miley is good friends with Ariana Grande. I just don't think Capitol previously appreciated what BOT was 'about'. Capitol then told Moz - Miley wants her vocals to be removed, and also we are no longer releasing the album. Moz then released the statement on December 24th titled 'Miley is a punk rocker' quoted above.
It's understandable that Moz is upset and angry. But the fact he is not suing suggests the contract he signed with Capitol was a very weak one and did not contain a definite commitment to release the album in every eventuality. Capitol no doubt will argue that they are not releasing the album because they think it might cause undue upset and distress to victims and relatives of the terror attack. Look at the damages awarded to the victims of Sandy Hook. Different I know - Moz is not suggesting the terror attack was faked or anything like that - but causing distress to victims and relatives is something any record label will be wary of. BOT was being touted around for the highest bidder for months. Did Moz get desperate and bite Capitol's hand off without checking the small print?
Who knows? Without hearing anything from Capitol it is hard to decipher.

We have seen from Morrissey's management that there were plans to remove Miley's vocal, all this is obviously after the communications surrounding her wanting / needing to be removed.

Capitol have never said anything about Morrissey or BOT, maybe they are still planning its release. Morrissey is clearly angry at them and he has told us a number of times they have control but aren't releasing it. We've had Bonfire unlit, Bonfire doused, Bonfire RIP. Is he just ranting because this isn't in his control?

I cannot see how Miley or her lawyer has influenced their decision making. That would be suggesting nobody in Capital saw an album & song title of Bonfire of Teenagers as something they actually needed to listen to before they signed a contract. The title is literally saying that young people are being piled up and burned - you surely listen to that track if nothing else....

I really hope it gets released. Maybe Adam Omega has it right all along :)

Who knows? Without hearing anything from Capitol it is hard to decipher.

We have seen from Morrissey's management that there were plans to remove Miley's vocal, all this is obviously after the communications surrounding her wanting / needing to be removed.

Capitol have never said anything about Morrissey or BOT, maybe they are still planning its release. Morrissey is clearly angry at them and he has told us a number of times they have control but aren't releasing it. We've had Bonfire unlit, Bonfire doused, Bonfire RIP. Is he just ranting because this isn't in his control?

I cannot see how Miley or her lawyer has influenced their decision making. That would be suggesting nobody in Capital saw an album & song title of Bonfire of Teenagers as something they actually needed to listen to before they signed a contract. The title is literally saying that young people are being piled up and burned - you surely listen to that track if nothing else....

I really hope it gets released. Maybe Adam Omega has it right all along :)
Yes, the evolution of the language around BOT has been interesting, from 'unlit' to 'doused' and now 'RIP'. And from 'hidden', then 'lost', and now something much more funereal.
Could well be it started with Capitol saying - it's under review, we are not sure when we are going to release it - keeping Moz hanging on, and then maybe recently they gave Moz a definitive - we have decided not to release BOT. Sure enough, the telephone rings...
The message on Central posted on 7th February would definitely seem to suggest though that recently some form of definitive 'no' was communicated to Moz by Capitol. My guess is the message on 7th February on Central now supercedes any previous musings from Mr Omega.
The message on 7th February also suggests that Moz's past 'political' views and opinions may have been a factor in Capitol's decision (Moz is too 'diverse' for Capitol) and the message on 13th February would seem to suggest that Capitol are worried about the 'honest truth' of a song like BOT, given the sensitivities. Too honest, maybe. Of course, we only have Moz's take on this, and that in brief statements on Central. Or SER's take at least. Capitol are keeping a dignified silence.

No. Where did someone from Capitol actually say the album or Morrissey is too scandalous? That's all his own narrative. I think it's petty and childish to point at someone who has obviously some success and find something bad in it, because he himself struggles at this point. Nobody knows what Sam Smith has as a contract and nobody knows what Morrissey has a for a contract and what happens behind the scenes. Maybe Sam Smith brings more money in, has a lot more fans at this point and maybe he also had to jump through several hoops for Capitol which Morrissey refuses. It's just a bad comparison because they are just not comparable. And again- bashing someone for an outfit/performace choice, wheras M himself always praises Linder's meat dress with the strap-on? Come on, let Morrissey be Morrissey and Sam Smith be Sam Smith.
There is nothing “successful” about simulating urine based sex acts in your music video in order to garner your record label’s financial support

He didn't need to do anything to garner their support, they support him because he sells millions of records worldwide.
This is a chicken and egg argument. He has much more corporate support and a much larger budget based on his most recent projects and releases, with the most heavily promoted being the most recent (atrocious) one being referenced. Sam does resemble or represent the person he was when he first shot to fame, and he is very much a product of the machine - despite his claims to the exact opposite.

In any case, my point stands that his so-called “success” is not something that is perceived as success, by many people who have a brain. Commercial sales are not the only criteria for success. Does someone’s output contribute to the arts, if they are in the arts? Does someone’s contribution have a positive effect on the fabric of society, if they are going to be the megaphone and spokesperson for certain causes? Is someone’s persona one that comes from a place of intelligence? Or from a place of prostitution in the name of more sales for the corporate entity backing them for financial gain?

Again, there is categorically nothing “successful” about simulating urine based sex acts in your music video whether enacted to garner the support of your record company, or the wallet of your audience.

This is a chicken and egg argument. He has much more corporate support and a much larger budget based on his most recent projects and releases, with the most heavily promoted being the most recent (atrocious) one being referenced. Sam does resemble or represent the person he was when he first shot to fame, and he is very much a product of the machine - despite his claims to the exact opposite.

In any case, my point stands that his so-called “success” is not something that is perceived as success, by many people who have a brain. Commercial sales are not the only criteria for success. Does someone’s output contribute to the arts, if they are in the arts? Does someone’s contribution have a positive effect on the fabric of society, if they are going to be the megaphone and spokesperson for certain causes? Is someone’s persona one that comes from a place of intelligence? Or from a place of prostitution in the name of more sales for the corporate entity backing them for financial gain?

Again, there is categorically nothing “successful” about simulating urine based sex acts in your music video whether enacted to garner the support of your record company, or the wallet of your audience.

I think the guys a wanker but he sells records and that's what record labels are there to do, hence they support him.

Yes, their site promoting their other site est morte.

Screenshot_20230215-145513.png

I look forward to "Central Official Morrissey IG" or the such any time soon... 😵‍💫
FWD.

I think the guys a wanker but he sells records and that's what record labels are there to do, hence they support him.
Exactly. It does not matter what "people with a brain" see as success in an ideological way. Record labels want to sell records. Especially the big ones.
Couldn't care less about Sam Smith, but the topic being Morrissey's struggle with Capitol it simply doesn't matter if you like Sam Smith or not, because he is not Morrissey and has nothing to do with the Bonfire release topic. He is just any other artist on the roster of Capitol who had big press recently and seems to be commercially successful. So pointing the finger at him and dragging him into this whole narrative just seems desperate.

I do wonder though if it still may come out in April perhaps - at each turn morrissey has gone for the nuclear option. A delay in or shifting of the timelines in business is day to day, but to morrissey he could of interpreted it as this is not going to happen.

Maybe he’s been told ‘No feb release’ due to x y z, and he’s taken that as it’s not coming out at all.

Exactly. It does not matter what "people with a brain" see as success in an ideological way. Record labels want to sell records. Especially the big ones.
Couldn't care less about Sam Smith, but the topic being Morrissey's struggle with Capitol it simply doesn't matter if you like Sam Smith or not, because he is not Morrissey and has nothing to do with the Bonfire release topic. He is just any other artist on the roster of Capitol who had big press recently and seems to be commercially successful. So pointing the finger at him and dragging him into this whole narrative just seems desperate.
Sam Smith is successful and continues to be commercially successful because record companies and their management and the media - who are beholden and biased in many different ways and for various politically inclined reasons - decided to continue to back him.

Do you seriously think Sam Smith would continue to be as successful if the record companies and media decided tomorrow that he wasn’t going to be successful anymore?

He is not the one holding the cards

I wonder if Fiona Dodwell is a ChatGPT AI entity that Morrissey programs to impersonate a 'journalist-investigative reporter' ?

If Sam Smith offers Morrissey some Nordic festival support slots this summer and the 'record company ' offers to fly Ms Dodwell to do 'press & PR'....it's not likely to end well...

Looks like the new AI system is having a meltdown already.
Maybe the statements on Moz Central are AI generated? It would explain the fairly random Sam Smith comment.

Some thoughts on all this...

1. Do we actually know that Capitol released RWA? The Spotify credits list the source as Morrissey, when this is usually EMI or Parlophone UK or similar (i.e. the record company). Just wondering, it seems odd. If Morrissey has done this himself, having been told Veronica was not coming out, that would explain no press release, promotion, etc. to accompany it.

2. My hunch is Capitol told Morrissey he would have to take Miley off Veronica because they legally hsve no choice, he has refused, and this is why Capitol won't release it - they would be sued. Incidentally, I should think the same would apply if he got a UK deal or even self released in the UK - permission would still be needed from whoever represents her in the UK.

Given where we are, and assuming only the recording was licenced to Capitol, I'd favour a live or re-recorded version of BOT - but unlikely unless he self releases it.

If Morrissey has apparently got his knickers in a twist over having to remove a performer's voice from a track, was there a similar kerfuffle over "Sorrow will come in the end" at the time Maladjusted was released? I can't remember.

Remember at live shows he said various times it was coming soon, must have been close!

Some thoughts on all this...

1. Do we actually know that Capitol released RWA? The Spotify credits list the source as Morrissey, when this is usually EMI or Parlophone UK or similar (i.e. the record company). Just wondering, it seems odd. If Morrissey has done this himself, having been told Veronica was not coming out, that would explain no press release, promotion, etc. to accompany it.

2. My hunch is Capitol told Morrissey he would have to take Miley off Veronica because they legally hsve no choice, he has refused, and this is why Capitol won't release it - they would be sued. Incidentally, I should think the same would apply if he got a UK deal or even self released in the UK - permission would still be needed from whoever represents her in the UK.

Given where we are, and assuming only the recording was licenced to Capitol, I'd favour a live or re-recorded version of BOT - but unlikely unless he self releases it.

Maybe Capitol will release the album but it comes out without their mention? Is that legally possible?

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom