Morrissey Central "BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS, RIP" (February 13, 2023) - Morrissey vs Capitol Records

20C9B95B-45BE-4406-B21F-065BD6184F78.jpeg

Capitol Records (Los Angeles) proudly promotes Sam Smith’s ‘satanism’; yet they consider the honest truth of Morrissey’s factual ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ to be their biggest threat and they will not release it despite their contractual obligation and promise to do so.

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad son,
What is the point of going into the studio to record a new album when the last one will not even be released?

A waste of time (it automatically is already a waste if Tobias is on it).

we'll let you know
You just made the point.

as I understand it, Capitol own the album now. So he cant do that.
Capitol have licensed the recording - they won't own it forever. Usually these licensing deals cover a set period of years (often 10 or 15) after which the rights will revert to Morrissey. He'll get it back eventually (or Sam will, if Moz is no longer with us.) In the meantime, there is nothing to stop Morrissey re-recording new studio versions of these songs, or doing a live version of the album, and issuing it elsewhere. However.

All this brings me to the main problem that everyone is missing: at this point it doesn't matter if Capitol tear up the licensing agreement contract and return the rights to Morrissey, because no other label will release it either. Morrissey spent years trying to flog 'Bonfire' - Capitol Records were the only ones who took a punt on it, and even they didn't bother to reach a deal for the UK. After this latest kerfuffle, why would anything change? What label in their right minds would sign Morrissey now, knowing that he'd likely be a pain to work with and would turn on them in a heartbeat?

Absolutely, he can get overcome this ---- with quality music ---- which he is highly capable of.
I am ready to critic my hero Morrissey if I think he deserves it, but I see that he made a huge amount of good music in these last years, since Ringleader, with seemingly lazy or non existent support from radios or record companies. He may have said controversial things, but the mainstream public has zero chances to listen to his music. Here where I live almost nobody knows him, but when I put on any of his records, people generally like him.
He should definitely enjoy more success and attention. It is a miracle he is still willing to go on.

Last edited:
Well, I think this really sucks. I had really been looking forward to the release of BOT. I really hope it sees the light of day sometime soon. I don`t mean to sound like an old fart but it`s really unfair that this album is not being released when music scene today is full of crap. I heard these songs live last year and I think they deserve to be released.

Capitol have licensed the recording - they won't own it forever. Usually these licensing deals cover a set period of years (often 10 or 15) after which the rights will revert to Morrissey. He'll get it back eventually (or Sam will, if Moz is no longer with us.) In the meantime, there is nothing to stop Morrissey re-recording new studio versions of these songs, or doing a live version of the album, and issuing it elsewhere. However.

All this brings me to the main problem that everyone is missing: at this point it doesn't matter if Capitol tear up the licensing agreement contract and return the rights to Morrissey, because no other label will release it either. Morrissey spent years trying to flog 'Bonfire' - Capitol Records were the only ones who took a punt on it, and even they didn't bother to reach a deal for the UK. After this latest kerfuffle, why would anything change? What label in their right minds would sign Morrissey now, knowing that he'd likely be a pain to work with and would turn on them in a heartbeat?
I don't get what capitol had to gain from not releasing it, once they signed the deal.

I don't believe.
Well its a plausible theory. Morrissey will feel he entered into an agreement with Capital and they broke that agreement not him. He will say because he signed with them he didn't follow up other potential offers so there is an opportunity cost and a time lost cost. He will say he toured extensively in support of the album at his own expense. He arranged a publicity interview for the album at his own expense. They botched the release of Rebels which he will consider a gift. Why should he hand them back the money? They've let him down not the other way around.

" It will be released in your lifetime. So, please don't die soon.” . Very funny, Morrissey . 💀

🌴🌴Hey Morrissey! You said it best when it comes to this Capital Record troubles, "This World is Designed for Crashing Bores."
N.M.W.H.I.L.Y. ❤️
David Molly Zack Maggy Rocco Daisy S.D. Moz Crew

Sad son,
What is the point of going into the studio to record a new album when the last one will not even be released?

A waste of time (it automatically is already a waste if Tobias is on it).

we'll let you know
You know, there’s still a strange thing called "passion". Some people are moved by passion, not just commercial interest or calculation.

Well, I think this really sucks. I had really been looking forward to the release of BOT. I really hope it sees the light of day sometime soon. I don`t mean to sound like an old fart but it`s really unfair that this album is not being released when music scene today is full of crap. I heard these songs live last year and I think they deserve to be released.

but according to @smiler

and the song Bonfire itself which isn't great and it seems many people agree that it is simply really quite unpleasant.’

maybe I missed that poll, but ‘many’ is a lot of people. So taking that into consideration, maybe BoT shouldn’t be released? Even if the song got a great reception when he performed it on the UK tour, it’s all so confusing.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom