Morrissey Central "BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS, RIP" (February 13, 2023) - Morrissey vs Capitol Records

20C9B95B-45BE-4406-B21F-065BD6184F78.jpeg

Capitol Records (Los Angeles) proudly promotes Sam Smith’s ‘satanism’; yet they consider the honest truth of Morrissey’s factual ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ to be their biggest threat and they will not release it despite their contractual obligation and promise to do so.

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
In October, Morrissey Central announced: "Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will release Morrissey’s ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in February 2023. The album will be released worldwide except for the United Kingdom, where there is no label deal."

Instead of all this pointless yelling at Capitol (who are clearly ignoring him), why not just take the money they paid him to license the album and self-release it in the UK. What's stopping him? :unsure:
I’m starting to think the reason he doesn’t self-release is because then he would have no one to blame when the record doesn’t do as well as he’d hoped.

My guess is Morrissey is refusing to give the money back and Capital are refusing to give the album back without the money. Over the years I've come to realise he is a troubled man. Trouble loves him and he loves trouble back.
Personally my view is that Bonfire is a distasteful album title given the context. The song may have good and worthy intentions but the imagery lacks empathy and seems vain glorious. I think Veronica, Rebels and Stain Glass Window sound great. If he had 15 songs of that quality the album would be out by now and it would be being played on the radio but the album also has Kerouac's Crack, Sure Enough, and Oblivion which to me are really pretty average and the song Bonfire itself which isn't great and it seems many people agree that it is simply really quite unpleasant. Don't get me wrong I'm not easily offended, I get the message he is trying to convery and that he wants to upset some people and I enjoy how provocative he can be at times but it just seems off colour to describe what happened in that way. He should record some more new material (he may have done this already). Make a really really strong album with loads of additional tracks and not call it bonfire. He also needs to do a film much like The Importance of Being Morrissey. Perhaps a film of him recording the album. I'd love to see some candid footage of him in the studio or actually writing and some of him being relaxed and charming with friends and family. It would also allow him to show some regret for his association with For Britain and then showcase the new songs. This is the way forward, either that or its back to Strangways.

My guess is Morrissey is refusing to give the money back and Capital are refusing to give the album back without the money. Over the years I've come to realise he is a troubled man. Trouble loves him and he loves trouble back.
Personally my view is that Bonfire is a distasteful album title given the context. The song may have good and worthy intentions but the imagery lacks empathy and seems vain glorious. I think Veronica, Rebels and Stain Glass Window sound great. If he had 15 songs of that quality the album would be out by now and it would be being played on the radio but the album also has Kerouac's Crack, Sure Enough, and Oblivion which to me are really pretty average and the song Bonfire itself which isn't great and it seems many people agree that it is simply really quite unpleasant. Don't get me wrong I'm not easily offended, I get the message he is trying to convery and that he wants to upset some people and I enjoy how provocative he can be at times but it just seems off colour to describe what happened in that way. He should record some more new material (he may have done this already). Make a really really strong album with loads of additional tracks and not call it bonfire. He also needs to do a film much like The Importance of Being Morrissey. Perhaps a film of him recording the album. I'd love to see some candid footage of him in the studio or actually writing and some of him being relaxed and charming with friends and family. It would also allow him to show some regret for his association with For Britain and then showcase the new songs. This is the way forward, either that or its back to Strangways.
Well that's a guess.

All Morrissey needs to do is dress up in one of Sam Smith's gimp suits, and he'd be accepted.

Sad son,
What is the point of going into the studio to record a new album when the last one will not even be released?

A waste of time (it automatically is already a waste if Tobias is on it).

we'll let you know

RE the point on money. The man is like any of us, wants more than we give.

I recall when he wanted I’m throwing my arms around Paris reissued after the Paris attacks, and a UMG records exec coming out saying that Moz didn’t contact or approach them about any charity effort.

Capital's behaviour is puzzling as they knew what they were buying into (the subject matter, the crap proposed sleeve, the low sales of previous album etc) and as far as I can tell nothing's changed since, has it?

In an ideal world BOT would be a huge hit and Sam Smith would be busking on the underground in his gimp suit.
Surely there can be a middle ground where everyone is happy

Sam Smith is hit with something huge

Morrissey in a gimp suit

I'll get the butter for the suit

Anyone at Morrissey’s Meltdown might remember this T.S. Eliot quote, on the backdrop behind The New York Dolls:

“We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.”

It’s seems vital again.

I’m looking forward to Without Music the World Dies.

If the Devil has all the best tunes, I really doubt Sam Smith is a Satanist.

Popular though, and there's nothing wrong with dressing like Darth Vader doing a fart inside his suit.

Last edited:
Don’t record companies allocate a certain amount of money but if you don’t sell enough to reach the dollar amount, you have to pay it back? If capital now owns BOT, couldn’t Morrissey take the live versions and make a live LP? I think he needs to stop trying to get their attention, if that’s what he’s doing, and move on. I think it’s a great idea to self release like everyone is suggesting.

It’s just sad.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom