Morrissey Central "BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS, RIP" (February 13, 2023) - Morrissey vs Capitol Records

20C9B95B-45BE-4406-B21F-065BD6184F78.jpeg

Capitol Records (Los Angeles) proudly promotes Sam Smith’s ‘satanism’; yet they consider the honest truth of Morrissey’s factual ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ to be their biggest threat and they will not release it despite their contractual obligation and promise to do so.

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
The use of the word 'factual' in the statement is interesting. I made the mistake of watching some of the Brit Awards the other day. I was left with the feeling that modern life and what we see on the media appears more and more like some bizarre virtual reality. Completely unreal and fake. And over choreographed. And the sad thing is - it's not even a good virtual reality, but a really bad one.
Has anyone tried typing in 'write a song in the style of Morrissey' on Open AI yet? The result was bloody awful. Artificial intelligence isn't ready to replace the artist any time soon. Whereas Sam Smith - I wonder...

Poor Sam Smith, Why bring them into it?

They’re selling 100 times more records that M is 🙁

He really needs to stop the megaphone communication with Capitol. What does he think he will achieve? Does he hope that fans will descend on the Capitol building in Los Angeles with burning torches, like the villagers in Frankenstein?

Yes, he does comment/post on Morrissey Central - but would Capitol even care about that? Another question that should be asked - how fruitful are/were any of his 'business discussions' w/Capitol?

Here's another important question, especially today: which one did he do more of ---- talking shop w/Capitol records, or posting to Central?

The use of the word 'factual' in the statement is interesting. I made the mistake of watching some of the Brit Awards the other day. I was left with the feeling that modern life and what we see on the media appears more and more like some bizarre virtual reality. Completely unreal and fake. And over choreographed. And the sad thing is - it's not even a good virtual reality, but a really bad one.
Has anyone tried typing in 'write a song in the style of Morrissey' on Open AI yet? The result was bloody awful. Artificial intelligence isn't ready to replace the artist any time soon. Whereas Sam Smith - I wonder...

Great points!

In that same Smiths documentary (where I mentioned Billy Duffy's comments on Morrissey), Mike Joyce explained what it was like playing on Top of the Pops, when Paul Young (and band) was playing before them that evening. Joyce said something like Popular Music existed in this 'other world' where everything was over-the-top, made up, flashy, plastic, etc. He was correct back then, and that's still the way today.

It does start to feel like we're watching a slow-motion car crash here, the end result of which is that no label on earth will ever want to work with Morrissey again.

Which is a shame - but, there are other routes to market...
He just needs good material, and it will be released. If they can make money off of him, they'll do it. He still regularly tours, even without a label.

Haha, I suppose the Illuminati are also responsible for BOTT not being released? What's next from Camp Moz, Bonfiregate? "Sam Smith's "Satanism?" For the love of God, won't somebody save the children!! The cabal is real!!

I thought there was a rip of Bonfire, not Bonfire R.I.P.

There Is A Fire That Never Goes Out. Nobody can extinguish the spark of Moz - a flaming beacon in the dark void of modern music.

Absolutely, he can get overcome this ---- with quality music ---- which he is highly capable of.

Regarding releasing BOT, maybe they could just drop Veronica off the tracklist altogether.

Last edited:
The highs and lows of being a Morrissey fan, and we’ve hit a new low; that is, engaging in homophobia.

Where do we go from here? I’m at the end of my line - yet again.

Last edited:
I said nearly two years ago - just self-release the damn thing. Multiple avenues these days to do that, and probably all as lucrative or more than what a dead old-school record company is paying (and you can do whatever you want whenever you want, instead of working according to some company suits' timeline). Nearly two years the album's been finished, and still nowhere in sight apparently.

Quite. But is it Moz - or SER?
Sam Smith is just doing the usual sexualised vaudeville that many pop stars do to hide the fact that the material they're flogging isn't any good. Flogging with whips and patent leather boots, of course. 'Satanism' - nah.
That's why 'satanism' is in inverted commas: it's what right wing outlets in the US have called it. It's not what Morrissey is calling it otherwise the inverted commas would be absent. He's simply saying that whatever reservations they may have about him (Moz), Capitol are more than happy to promote an artist recently criticised by the American religious right for 'celebrating satanism.'

Oh, yes. Let's continue antagonizing younger artists and further alienate ourselves from the contemporary music scene -if there is any.

What does Sam Smith has to do with this? I don't care an ounce for him but what is the point of bringing him up and comparing himself to a more succesfull and younger musician now? It just highlights its irrelevancy and it is a sad affair as there are many -like me- that would kill to hear this album.
He's not having a go at Sam Smith though, is he? He's having a go at Capitol's apparent double standards in refusing to promote M while happily promoting an artist recently accused by the religious right of 'celebrating satanism'.

Welcome to 2023. Most book publishers these days employ 'sensitivity readers' whose job it is to read manuscripts submitted for publication and check for material that might make a marginalised reader feel 'unsafe' I have little doubt that major record labels are starting to do something similar. For any 'sensitivity listener' the title track of BOT would flag up a red flag so big you could see it from space.

there was one sensitivity reader who had the word scalpel removed because of indians scalping people when infact scalpel comes from the greek scalpellum,see what happens when you try to be clever.

Look here, MC :sleeping:bore:

-I know a Sam
-I know the Smiths
-I don't know a Sam Smith.

What you trying to do? Muddle me?

Who is he screaming to with these posts? Who is listening?
I really don’t think this is morrissey on central, it’s SER who seems to have some quite extreme Christian views from what I’ve seen on his of instagram stories.

This is just another brick in the sodding wall that is the tomb Of morrissey‘s hope of being on a record label. No major label will take on a PR liability who launches twitter-length attacks via a website about everything that he dislikes.

I love the man, he can afford better than this, he can be better than this. Where is morrissey of 2003 coming out of the wilderness years with hunger and bite. All these posts do is damage the hope of bonfire seeing the light of day, but also any hit new songs that Alain writes for him. There will be no number 1 album if he keeps up like this.

he probably feels he is backed into a corner,if they own the album then they must have paid him a lot of dosh,maybe captol feels if the shit hits the big fan they will be covered in it as well.
M give us our money back.
capitol give me my album back.
everybodies happy and free to do what they want.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom