Bonfire of Teenagers is over a year old

Well, that momentum and the hot streak don't really exist out in the real world. Yes, he just did a small tour, which left the fans very happy, but the good atmosphere in the concert arenas tends to stay there and not spread from there. Nothing Morrissey has achieved in 2022 will change the mind of the record company executives who chose not to sign him in 2021 for Bonfire.

Gaining leverage in a record negotiation may remain out of reach. I do think, however, that Morrissey may have gained the willingness to entertain an alternative form of release.

These concerts are a contrast to the arenas of the post Quarry comeback, but they have given Morrissey a passionate audience, situated within venues that really suit his style. Bigger is not always better, it seems.

Self-releasing Bonfire is not necessarily the climb down that he may have once feared. As a fan of Morrissey, it’s unacceptable to think that this record could disappear without an official release. It needs to be heard, enjoyed and, inevitably, argued over. I also believe that the release of Bonfire is crucial to any further material being delivered. I’m not sure if a project can be skipped over, with the follow up appearing free from the binds and obstacles that constrained the last one.

I’m conditioned to hope and Morrissey’s recent performances provide me with reason to hope. His comments regarding the release of the record are characteristically coy, but surely indicate that there is something on the horizon. Scepticism is priced in at this point, yet we all want Moz to prove us wrong.

As much as I enjoyed the new songs live, I see no point in waiting for a big commercial release for another 6 months or even longer. Otherwise, we’ll get another promotional tour with 8 instead of 4 songs from Bonfire, as convention has it. Moreover, these songs will already be 3 years old by then.

There really are some hopeful signs that a renewed collaboration between Alain and Morrissey could lead to something (even) better than Bonfire. The involvement of the other band members in the recording also holds some promise. I felt the band really came together on this UK tour. I would not mind a deluxe edition that includes the Bonfire songs because I still want to hear the songs. I just don’t want them to stand in the way of whatever is still left of his performant carreer.

As much as I enjoyed the new songs live, I see no point in waiting for a big commercial release for another 6 months or even longer. Otherwise, we’ll get another promotional tour with 8 instead of 4 songs from Bonfire, as convention has it. Moreover, these songs will already be 3 years old by then.

There really are some hopeful signs that a renewed collaboration between Alain and Morrissey could lead to something (even) better than Bonfire. The involvement of the other band members in the recording also holds some promise. I felt the band really came together on this UK tour. I would not mind a deluxe edition that includes the Bonfire songs because I still want to hear the songs. I just don’t want them to stand in the way of whatever is still left of his performant carreer.

Why not release Bonfire early in 2023 and the Alain-Record in late 2024?
I CAN (want to) HAVE BOTH :guitar:

Why not release Bonfire early in 2023 and the Alain-Record in late 2024?
I CAN (want to) HAVE BOTH :guitar:
If Bonfire were to be released in the next couple of months, it would probably be early next year because à few weeks from now, compilation season will begin. And having the Bonfire release out of the way would pavé the way for new songs with Alain.
so yes, I like your scenario too.

Maybe dump the duff songs that we've heard already off Bonfire i.e. Telephone Rings, Kerouac and (sorry) Bonfire itself, and add in the best new Morrissey/Whyte compositions to make up a new album. The duff songs could always be issued on a deluxe version...

:rolleyes:

I am eagerly anticipating Bonfire. The sound and the style is what I like. I have better vibes than I had with Plastic Dog. Even the uneven Kerouac is better than some songs on that album.

I keep forgetting Diana Dors is on this album. Wish he'd previewed that one live.

Yeah, that's what I meant - thought it had leaked or something... nvm...

What about the live versions? Is there a list of links anywhere, or do I just scroll through the recent gig reports?

There are entire shows in the downloads section, but I think most or all of the live versions are on YouTube if you search by song.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom