Bonfire of Teenagers is over a year old

May 10 2022 - Phoenix - announced “new single”
I Am Veronica. It is nearly 4 months later. Think it’s still happening? Is this possibly the first time Moz has announced a single and it doesn’t happen?

Last edited:
May 10 2022 - Phoenix - announced “new single”
I Am Veronica. It is nearly 4 months later. Think it’s still happening? Is this possibly the first time Moz has announced a single and it doesn’t happen?
I think it's probably not happening. He seems to lose his grasp on reality sometimes. I think the album title and the song of the same title are just too controversial and I also don't think the songs are that good.

It's not the first time Morrissey has announced a single that never happened.

Lady Willpower/ Rainbow Valley was another.

I have to be honest I took the announcement of 'I Am Victoria' with a huge bag of salt as he still had no label to release it.

I'm still waiting for the 'World Peace' reissue that was announced as forthcoming six years ago. 'Bonfire' will have to wait it's turn.
http%3A%2F%2Fpitchfork-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fcontent%2FjoanofMoz.jpg

Nowadays "new single" means "new song". I am sure, Morrissey was aware, that Veronica wouldn't be out in any physical form in the (then) near future.

Nowadays "new single" means "new song". I am sure, Morrissey was aware, that Veronica wouldn't be out in any physical form in the (then) near future.
But he hasn't even put out the studio version, has he? All we have is the short snippet and the non-official live versions.

I don‘t understand Moz why he is still waiting for a big label to sign him. All labels know that they won‘t make money with an 63 year old singer who has only 1,8 mio listeners on Spotify where his 35 years dead band has 8,7 mio…!
So why not release it by himself and tour the world for his remaining fans?

Suede only has 750,000 monthly listeners on Spotify and is signed to BMG
Suede are nice, unassuming boys with nothing much to say about anything. That helps.

The Spotify mention in connection to The Smiths should only show where he stands today… And Dog on a chain sold very poorly. So why should a label invest in Moz? There is no point and he must know it.
Touring and self releaing is all he can do!

Forget about 'Bonfire' for now - time to move on to the next album with Alain. Eventually, age will catch up and Morrissey's voice will start to go (just look at Paul McCartney desperately croaking through that Foo Fighters tribute concert the other day). It's better that Moz keeps recording and stockpiling studio albums now, whilst he still has a great voice (and he can certainly afford the studio time). He can release them at his lesiure in his twilight years when - just maybe - the current culture wars have calmed down a bit, and people can accept differing opinions in artists.

Record sales are currently very low and Morrissey outsells other artists who do have a record deal.

We do not know the details of possible talks with records companies and why a deal is still not happening. Morrissey's demands could be higher then Suede's.

Record sales are currently very low and Morrissey outsells other artists who do have a record deal.
Yep, I've made this point before. There are indeed other artists who sell as few as M currently does (5,000-8,000 in UK) and have record deals. Usual examples are the likes of the Flaming Lips, James, Damon Albarn, Sting, and we can add Suede to the list.
The trouble is, last time he was searching for a deal (2017) he was massively more popular than this cohort (he was in the 50,000 sales or more bracket) and that's probably how he still sees himself, and the kind of deals he expects, hence the ongoing stalemate.

Back
Top Bottom