Bonfire of Teenagers is over a year old

A

Anonymous

Morrissey should've released it on Bandcamp, and, as he's a multimillionaire, he should also've contacted Jack White/Third Man Records and got some records made. Standard, Limited and signed copies.

But he's stuck in his old ways.

Anyone know if he's been back in the studio since the completeion of BoT?

Morrissey should've released it on Bandcamp, and, as he's a multimillionaire, he should also've contacted Jack White/Third Man Records and got some records made. Standard, Limited and signed copies.

Totally agree.

I love the Third Man idea. Make a few thousand copies (because he can guess how many records will sell based on the last record) and sell them for a premium price with a digital download (it will leak with or without this anyway).

I wouldn’t be surprised if he has.

There's always a chance, of course, but I think him going to an "indie" record company is a little bit below 50%. He never spoke well of his experience in Rough Trade, and considering that he's now a well-established artist with an experience spanning four decades, he must be dreading the very idea. EMI, HMV, Parlophone, Reprise, RCA, Sanctuary, BMG... and unto what? Peddling blank CDs with black-and-white photocopy covers on High Street? He seems to like the appearance of a powerful record company's logo on an album, perhaps so much so as the album itself. It's vain but oh well -so am I.

I don't want it to sound like woe-is-Morrissey because who knows what he's demanding of those record companies? I haven't clue about that side of the business and I'm not even sure whether he has someone on payroll to take care of this. He lets his nephew control his social media presence after all...

I just want to see the boy happy & hear the album. That's all.

I still think he should give this one away since he's already played half of it live and he could play more in the UK

Can't see Morrissey giving anything away. He has proved in the past that he is willing to wait, we had 7 years between Maladjusted and Quarry.

Obviously I've no idea what the blocker is but I can't imagine that literally nobody wants to release this album. It will all be the terms and branding.

Obviously I've no idea what the blocker is...?
Honestly? Don't we discuss here daily what the reasons can be and that no major label (or any label) feels like releasing a record with such a strange title from an artist whose reputation has "suffered" (to put it kindly?).

Morrissey could find a smaller label to release this tomorrow. But, he still thinks he's worthy of a major label deal with all the perks (huge promotion, tour support, etc.) Sadly, due to a combination of (1) poor decisions on his part (bigmouth strikes again and again and again.....) (2) the fact that his recent music isn't always at the quality it once was, and (3) the plain truth that an artist at his age is never going to hit the charts in the way current pop stars do, major label interest will be harder and harder to come by.

10,010 copies only worldwide, 500 random gold discs, 500 random signed inside, 10 gold and signed.

The statement from May alone, that he is now playing "the new single" and then nothing happens for 4 months, is a sign, that nothing is going on in the background as it should. One could counter that "new single" is a broad term nowadays anyway and no longer means: 5" 7" 12" + cassette in the next month. But,
showcasing something, that will never be unleashed, would be an all-time low.

Last edited:
Morrissey could find a smaller label to release this tomorrow. But, he still thinks he's worthy of a major label deal with all the perks (huge promotion, tour support, etc.) Sadly, due to a combination of (1) poor decisions on his part (bigmouth strikes again and again and again.....) (2) the fact that his recent music isn't always at the quality it once was, and (3) the plain truth that an artist at his age is never going to hit the charts in the way current pop stars do, major label interest will be harder and harder to come by.
Yeah, this sums it up. If he prides himself as a person unyielding to conventional norms and politics, he might as well cut a deal with smaller companies, or even set one up. Even young and successful names are having a hard-time with record labels' demands, "make a TikTok video or no promotion!!" or "make sure it trends on Twitter!!" or something. It's utterly stupid but that's just the way it goes.

Points 2 and 3 concern hundreds of artists of Morrissey's age who, however, release records in huge labels.
It seems to me that sooner some stray " Himars " will hit the Crimean Bridge than Morrissey will sign a contract with any label. :grimacing:

Anyone saying he should sign with an indie label misses the fact that most if not all indie labels are very PC and their followers are the same. The backlash if, say, Sub Pop or Domino were to sign M would be hellish. He has a better shot with any of the scruple-free majors. Sad, but, I think, true.

Best source for this would be Alain, who will definitely part of the recording sessions.
But he hasn’t said anything about recording in his last long interviwe.

Honestly? Don't we discuss here daily what the reasons can be and that no major label (or any label) feels like releasing a record with such a strange title from an artist whose reputation has "suffered" (to put it kindly?).
I certainly don’t like the title of the album and I don’t like some of the lyrics of the song itself. The anger he is entitled to feel seems to be aimed at the wrong people, it is terrible wording.

I can certainly see Morrissey refusing to call the album something else or dropping the track entirely to ensure there is no controversy. He has also said loads that I wish he hadn’t, that interview with Sam to clear things up was a disaster.

This will be keeping some labels away but I bet he has offers. I think he is wanting a type of deal that he isn’t going to get.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom