Bona Drag extras

I don't know if anyone brought this up yet but the vocal track for let the right one slip in sure sounds like it was done recently. It's got that post quarry era vibe. Dissapointing that he retracked it

I don't know if anyone brought this up yet but the vocal track for let the right one slip in sure sounds like it was done recently. It's got that post quarry era vibe. Dissapointing that he retracked it

Are you actually saying he and the band just rerecorded the song recently? I highly doubt that. I will say though that the original has a lot more oomph and does well to be as short as it is at 2:30. The new one's vocal is all over the place and Moz and the band la la la for a whole minute there at the end.

This bona drag remaster is bizarre. Palare is too long, Ouija Board is too short and so is Slip in let alone that it shouldn't even be there as it's a B side from two albums post Drag.

Thank god Bona Drag wasn't released like this originally. Although 20 years later still seems too soon :)

Last edited:
I am saying he kept the music and redid the vocals. So same music, new vocals.

I am not sure if I like the remastered Bona Drag, it's like putting a magnifying glass to it. It's "80's feel" is gone.

It sounds like demo version and not recorded recently.
To be honest, I didn't like this version of Let the right, however I am truly impressed about Oh Phoney, wihich is wonderful.

I am saying he kept the music and redid the vocals. So same music, new vocals.

I am not sure if I like the remastered Bona Drag, it's like putting a magnifying glass to it. It's "80's feel" is gone.

It just sounds like a demo vocal to me and not a great one. I think we would've heard something if he actually went into the studio and sang a new vocal for a B side that's nearly twenty years old.

I am not sure that these tracks have NOT been retouched for this release. To properly remaster the track you would have to pull up the original source recordings. It would be very easy to take things out or put things in that already existed in the track. It's very simple process for an engineer. Morrissey didn't like the way "Ouija Board" sounded when he originally recorded it so he ask them to take some of it out. Not complicated. Yes they did not add additional instruments or voice but made new modifications to the recordings. The original November the 2nd had that horribible wail of Mary Margaret O'Hara very loud in the mix at the start. It sounded silly so but they left it in and mixed it lower. Still very annoying but less abrasive. So it is impossible to say they are original or not original mixes. You would have to ask somone who worked on the project. My guess is that Morrissey made a list of changes and they did them.

I stand firm that he recently rerecorded "let the right one slip in". Also to prove my point, go see him live and you will notice that he takes the old songs and drags out words longer when he sings them live.

Fabulous - Thank you!!!!

Oh Phoney sounds like a very different song from the demo - a light touch with the guitar and the vocals much more forward.
Let The Right One sounds like a different vocal track altogether from the Tomorrow b-side - in this one there's a pause before the "let the old dreams die" and so "let the" is more rapid. Or am I hearing things?

*and I pre-ordered the new BD last week, so no guilt*
So I'm NOT hearing things.

You are not hearing things with the extended dragging out of words on "LTROSI". Just because he dragged out the word does not mean that it was recorded recently. Why would anyone go back into the studio and record and inferer version of the song. Just as the extra tracks/bonus stuff was UNWANTED at the time and left on the cutting room floor. They are bringing this stuff out now because they know nobody will buy it without something new attached with it. As somone said earlier in the thread I can't believe Morrissey would allow this stuff out of his bathroom. I LOVE the guy and buy everything but "Lifeguard..." sounds like a high school kid wrote it. It reminds me of those old before they were famous videos/pictures. The celebrity always looks so uncool when you see them without the air of celebrity and money.

I am not sure that these tracks have NOT been retouched for this release. To properly remaster the track you would have to pull up the original source recordings. It would be very easy to take things out or put things in that already existed in the track. It's very simple process for an engineer. Morrissey didn't like the way "Ouija Board" sounded when he originally recorded it so he ask them to take some of it out. Not complicated. Yes they did not add additional instruments or voice but made new modifications to the recordings. The original November the 2nd had that horribible wail of Mary Margaret O'Hara very loud in the mix at the start. It sounded silly so but they left it in and mixed it lower. Still very annoying but less abrasive. So it is impossible to say they are original or not original mixes. You would have to ask somone who worked on the project. My guess is that Morrissey made a list of changes and they did them.

Stephane can probably clear all this up but from what he's already said, aside from Ouija Board, the others were existing mixes. The previously leaked version of Nov 2nd could be an "unfinished mix" and we're now just getting to hear the intended finished version. Just my guess...but it's still a crap remix just like that recent "Carol" one.

They were existing mixes. It's just that, just like the rest of the album, they were also 'remastered'. That's why they sound slightly different to what has leaked earlier.

Stephane

I guess I trust Stephane on this one. I am all for bsides and whatnot but not so much into inferior lower quality takes that "didn't make the cut".

I stand firm that he recently rerecorded "let the right one slip in". Also to prove my point, go see him live and you will notice that he takes the old songs and drags out words longer when he sings them live.

You still think this is true? :confused:

Morrissey's voice definately sounds too young for him to rerecord the track in the present day

I seriously hope that he's not pulling a Robert Smith on us!

At least, listening to the track gives me no reason at all to think that he re-recorded the vocals recently. I also believe that Stephane knows what he's talking about.

Morrissey's voice definately sounds too young for him to rerecord the track in the present day

Exactly. I agree with all words of yours. Re-recording vocals make no sense to me. But "Let the right' sounds as demo version, isn't it?

Now that I think of it suggesting Morrissey resang a vocal for a 20 year old B side is one of the most ridiculous posts on here and that's saying something after reading posts by mute witness!

Tags
bona drag extras
Back
Top Bottom