Bona Drag extras

Re: Revisionism

Morrissey just doesn't like that part anymore and wanted it out. On the other hand he gave us more of "Piccadilly Palare". The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh...

Thanks for the insight, Stephane!

It's just that I don't like that kind revisionism ... it's the same as with movies, it's ok to extend them with previously deleted scenes, but cutting scenes we've all known for years is just a horrible thing to do. Or like Robert Smith singing over twenty years old demos, trying to sell them to us as original recordings.

So, do you think that this version of Picadilly Palare is an entirely new mix/edit as well? Or is it just an alternative version to the longer mix we've been used to and just has been sitting on the attic for all those years?

Hands up if you like Gannon's guitar work and he should have stayed guitarest for another few albums! *hands up*

So, do you think that this version of Picadilly Palare is an entirely new mix/edit as well? Or is it just an alternative version to the longer mix we've been used to and just has been sitting on the attic for all those years?

It's the way the song was originally recorded, but for some reason that verse was dropped from the release at the time.

Stephane

The start of EDILS is fantastic,Disappointed is a big improvement I think,and Will Never Marry is,as ever,sublime.

Put it on and whack it up!

It's the way the song was originally recorded, but for some reason that verse was dropped from the release at the time.

That's not what I meant, I'm just curious as to why the now released version is different to the unofficially released longer version ... I find that very strange!

Personally I don't give two hoots what he does with the Bona Drag tracklisting.

Never understood why people get so precious about Bona Drag, it's only a compilation. And a highly flawed one at that, pointless and annoying inclusion of two Viva Hate singles (and missing several vital tracks from the era)

On the other hand, when he starts messing with the track lineup of studio albums, (e.g. Southpaw and Maladjusted).. that does annoy me :lbf:

That's not what I meant, I'm just curious as to why the now released version is different to the unofficially released longer version ... I find that very strange!

Because, as for most songs, more than one arrangement was attempted in the studio. Some have different lyrics, others have different musical ideas/arrangements. The demo that leaked was one attempt, and the one that Morrissey went for this time is a different one.

Stephane

Because, as for most songs, more than one arrangement was attempted in the studio. Some have different lyrics, others have different musical ideas/arrangements. The demo that leaked was one attempt, and the one that Morrissey went for this time is a different one.

Hi Stephane - I believe what Oso is asking is if this just-now released version of PicPal on the new BD is a previously unreleased mix (i.e. it was a mix done back in 1990 by Langer/Winstanly which is just now seeing the light of day) or a new mix/edit done recently by some newbie at EMI specifically for this release?

Same with Oh Phoney? Is this a Langer/Winstanley mix from back in 89/90 or did Moz recently instruct someone at EMI to rework it cause he didn't like the 89/90's version?

Not sure if that's what he's askign but I'd like to know if anyone knows.

Hi Stephane - I believe what Oso is asking is if this just-now released version of PicPal on the new BD is a previously unreleased mix (i.e. it was a mix done back in 1990 by Langer/Winstanly which is just now seeing the light of day) or a new mix/edit done recently by some newbie at EMI specifically for this release?

Same with Oh Phoney? Is this a Langer/Winstanley mix from back in 89/90 or did Moz recently instruct someone at EMI to rework it cause he didn't like the 89/90's version?

Not sure if that's what he's askign but I'd like to know if anyone knows.

There's no way the new "Unreleased" 6 are old mixes. They sound way too modern. Mainly Oh Phoney and The Bed Took Fire.

I believe what Oso is asking is if this just-now released version of PicPal on the new BD is a previously unreleased mix (i.e. it was a mix done back in 1990 by Langer/Winstanly which is just now seeing the light of day) or a new mix/edit done recently by some newbie at EMI specifically for this release?

That's exactly what I meant, thank you! I was wondering if the never heard before mixes/edits on Bona Drag were done in 2010 or in the late eighties/early nineties.

There's no way the new "Unreleased" 6 are old mixes. They sound way too modern. Mainly Oh Phoney and The Bed Took Fire.

Haven't heard them yet (when it the new BD released in the US anyway?) but that's disappointing to here if true. Not very fond of Moz's revisioning of things lately.

Speaking of Bed Took Fire...just read Mozipedia (now that's it's out in the US) and was surprised to read that Moz asked Street to come back into the studio to mix BTF into its final version of At Amber. Always thought that Langer/Wints remixed BTF into AA since Street was out of the fold by that time. Wonder if Moz was stretching out the olive branch after the original BD sessions didn't go well and he was in need of a writing partner?

Speaking of Bed Took Fire...just read Mozipedia (now that's it's out in the US) and was surprised to read that Moz asked Street to come back into the studio to mix BTF into its final version of At Amber. Always thought that Langer/Wints remixed BTF into AA since Street was out of the fold by that time. Wonder if Moz was stretching out the olive branch after the original BD sessions didn't go well and he was in need of a writing partner?

As far as I know, The Bed Took Fire was mixed by Stephen Street and later remixed by Langer/Winstanley and renamed At Amber.

I believe what Oso is asking is if this just-now released version of PicPal on the new BD is a previously unreleased mix (i.e. it was a mix done back in 1990 by Langer/Winstanly which is just now seeing the light of day) or a new mix/edit done recently by some newbie at EMI specifically for this release?

These are *not* new arrangements or edits of the songs. But just like the rest of the album, they were 'remastered', so they sound fresher than they would have sounded had they been released in 1988-1990.

Stephane

These are *not* new arrangements or edits of the songs. But just like the rest of the album, they were 'remastered', so they sound fresher than they would have sounded had they been released in 1988-1990.

So they are just different takes from the same time period, that's a good thing. I would hate the thought that they had been created especially for the new Bona Drag.

Thanks for the insight, Stephane!

Still don't like this stripped down verision Oh Phoney. Prefer the "Madness stamp" of the other arrangements that have leaked.

Stephane - Do you know which version of Oh Phoney was suppose to be on that proposed bonus disc for the nixed reissues from a couple of years back?

Tags
bona drag extras
Back
Top Bottom