Bona Drag – Perhaps Morrissey’s Best ‘Album’?

Well I like Andy and I like Mike too, I rate them both very highly.
Two out of four significant people in my all time favourite band.
No amount of legal disputes or unjustified criticism aimed at them will change my views on this.

The everlasting greatness of The Smiths is due to Morrissey & Marr & Rourke & Joyce (not equally obviously).

Absolutely. My comments about Andy's limitations were limited only to his songwriting.

And even Morrissey in his autobiography was full of praise for Andy and Mike as musicians. Much more than I expected.

In 1990 (I was 14) I saw Everyday is like Sunday on MTV, immediately went and bought Bona Drag and, of course, it was life changing. Bona Drag is the album that turned me on to good music. I can’t be objective about it - it’s one of my favourite albums by any artist ever.

Agree that it sounds like a “proper” album. Another favourite of mine, Sci-Fi Lullabies by suede, is a b-sides compilation that also sounds like a “real” album. Who cares how it came about and what the intention was - it’s still great.

Last edited:
Well I like Andy and I like Mike too, I rate them both very highly.
Two out of four significant people in my all time favourite band.
No amount of legal disputes or unjustified criticism aimed at them will change my views on this.

The everlasting greatness of The Smiths is due to Morrissey & Marr & Rourke & Joyce (not equally obviously).

Not equal but, close Andys bass playing is outstanding on The smiths catalogue, I find it difficult to believe he simply took instruction from Johnny on what to play his style is to engrained in so much, and I don't even think Johnny himself would pretend to be a drummer that's all Mike. Like it or not without the 4 it wouldn't have worked.

Not equal but, close Andys bass playing is outstanding on The smiths catalogue, I find it difficult to believe he simply took instruction from Johnny on what to play his style is to engrained in so much, and I don't even think Johnny himself would pretend to be a drummer that's all Mike. Like it or not without the 4 it wouldn't have worked.

I have always maintained that the magic of The Smiths was due to 4 people, mentioned it on these forums several times over the years even. No lawnmowers in my book.
That said, to believe that the 4 members' contribution is equal or close is pushing it a little bit too far in my view. I respect your opinion though.

Back
Top Bottom