BMG's Korda Marshall on "Low In High School" first week sales

My apologies if this already was posted here or in another thread. I thought this was a nice little blurb on the LIHS first-week sales that BMG posted, complete with an accolade by Korda himself:

UK: Morrissey's Low In High School marks eleventh consecutive Top 10 UK album - BMG
BMG UK
24 Nov 2017

Morrissey’s latest album Low In High School, his first released through BMG, has landed at number five on the UK Album charts, marking his eleventh consecutive Top 10 album in the UK. The album also topped the Independent Album charts, Vinyl chart, and Cassette chart.

Released on November 17, Low In High School is Morrissey’s eleventh studio album and first since announcing a partnership with BMG on launching his new label Etienne Records.

Korda Marshall said, “This is an incredible result. It’s the first Morrissey album of his career to be released in the fourth quarter and not only he has shown he can compete in the busiest time of the year, he has exceeded first week sales of his last album. Morrissey is back in a big way.”

Leading up to the release of the album, Morrissey announced his first UK tour since 2015 and the Los Angeles City Council declared November 10 as “Morrissey Day” in LA.

Last edited by a moderator:
All very exciting until one realizes that in the 1988, Viva Hate probably sold 24,000k in Croydon.

Just not sadder than spending your life moderating a website for an artist you hate right :/

Maybe he doesn’t hate him then?
Why do you care what he does with his life? He can do the hell whatever he likes or wants.
Now say something like get a life.
He has. Just like you.

Very positve from Korda, unfortunatley this was pre Spiegal and i'd imagine he's seething Morrissey fed the bad reviews by sabotaging a great push for a legacy artist. Starting from the first review from Uncut which really was an unfair character assassination rather than album review the tone was set the and many followed the trand. LIHS isnt the masterpiece that BMG were promoting but STDIB was a great lead off single, its a solid album that takes repeated listening to appreciate and definately divides opinion.....such as IWYL which I think is outstanding but others on here seem to dislike it..each to their own but there wasnt really a killer second single to supprt sales on the week of release. Also, whilst sale were better than WPINOYB, promotion costs, ST front cover(negative twist after Spiegal rather than positive as they expected an exclusive interview), infuence BMG had on the big radio stations resulting in only a No.5 position must be seen as a disappointment.
Looking to 2018, Morrissey may be a bit lucky that the Christmas break might dampen the critical backlash and the UK/Ireland your will survive but I think the likely planned re-release of LIHS with bonus tracks will be a casualty....After Spiegal ,the album is dead and the only hope is that Korda isnt so pissed off that the BMG deal is off also...we can only hope....I'll be in Dublin on a wet and cold Feb Tuesday night...hope Morrissey is there too in good health and plays a stormer as he always does in Ireland.

:thumb::thumb:This is a great statement. It points out the positive.. the album is doing better than expected during a extra competitive time of year( I hadn't even thought of this).

I am still mixed on LIHS as a complete album. I liked World Peace better as a whole but it didn't have any favorite songs, for me...at least a few years on. I'll say LIHS has a few excellent songs that stand with his best. I think if an artist can produce an album 35 years into his career that has 3 or 4 amazing songs that's phenomenal. :rock:

It's an excellent four song EP: My Love, I Wish You Lonely, Jackie, Home is a Question Mark?

Spent the Day in Bed is way too stick in your head annoying for me to listen to on a regular album spinning basis.

Everything after Spent is almost like a completely different album and belongs on a separate disk.

Maybe he doesn’t hate him then?
Why do you care what he does with his life? He can do the hell whatever he likes or wants.
Now say something like get a life.
He has. Just like you.

why are you hating so much for being honor? Sad Choice!

Uncleskinny is right as usual you know. Morrissey really has changed and not for the better. His voice isn’t better than ever, and his lyrics certainly aren’t. He doesn’t sing about relatable things. He makes muppet sounds on stage and awkwardly moves around whipping a microphone cord. He dresses terribly when he used to start trends and styles. He picks terrible setlists. His interviews aren’t very witty. It’s all very predictable nowadays. Of course there are exceptions as with a couple songs on this new album BUT for the most part, if all of you Moz fans that have been fans longer than since YATQ came out, would dig deep in your inner being - you have to admit this is true.
I promise I’m not trying to be mean or judge mental. It takes guts to be truthful

To the fans who aren’t blinded or are absolute retards we can see he is not getting better with age, if you really listen to his voice you can start to hear an old man voice to his singing, he doesn’t say things thats interesting all he ever talks about is the same old shit bitch and complain his interviews have pretty much been the same shit for last 10 years, and he gets quoted for saying some rather stupid and insensitive shit. f***s his stupid fans over with cancelations and sub standard products. How many times over there years that something that was really good that was going to come out only to have Morrissey block it because mwahhhhhhhhhh! He’s not getting any money from it or because it’s something someone else did that was better then he would eventually put out Hollywood bowl show on dvd canceled only to have Hollywood high come out years later. He f***s himself and he f***s his fans. It’s sad to see how far he’s fallen and how pitiful his career has gone.

Wow. I know she wants to big up Moz - but his star has never been lower. Despite what was an ok album - his name has become a byword for right-wing, reactionary views. Not just because of the Der Spiegel interview - but his comments about Anne Marie Waters, for example. And his attempts to blame the interviewer for the career car crash that was Der Spiegel - when the tape makes it clear that all they did was print what he actually said - has confirmed the public perception that the guy is just not to be trusted. I don't see how there is a way back from this for him...

Wow I bet you are a real buzzkill at Christmas functions.

He doesn’t get invited to any, or if he does he declines them because he’s too busy hammering the F5 key constantly looking to shit all over anything Morrissey related. Kind of pathetic really.

Very positve from Korda, unfortunatley this was pre Spiegal and i'd imagine he's seething Morrissey fed the bad reviews by sabotaging a great push for a legacy artist. Starting from the first review from Uncut which really was an unfair character assassination rather than album review the tone was set the and many followed the trand. LIHS isnt the masterpiece that BMG were promoting but STDIB was a great lead off single, its a solid album that takes repeated listening to appreciate and definately divides opinion.....such as IWYL which I think is outstanding but others on here seem to dislike it..each to their own but there wasnt really a killer second single to supprt sales on the week of release. Also, whilst sale were better than WPINOYB, promotion costs, ST front cover(negative twist after Spiegal rather than positive as they expected an exclusive interview), infuence BMG had on the big radio stations resulting in only a No.5 position must be seen as a disappointment.

The Der Spiegel interview came out on November 18th, a week before this statement. But your other points I find valid. Spent The Day In Bed was indeed one of those rare Morrissey songs that had appeal outside the fanbase. It's not up there with Everyday Is Like Sunday or First Of The Gang To Die, but it's definitely not down there with Jacky or 90 % of his singles, which are usually fine if you like Morrissey but otherwise they sound like more of the same.

The promotion costs are another good point. Harvest took a realistic approach to the World Peace campaign: they recognized that the album had no hope of reaching people outside the fan community, so while they otherwise gave it a decent push, they saw no reason to waste money on videos. Why promote an artist who is not interested in promoting himself? For World Peace Morrissey gave no interviews and cancelled an American tour midway. BMG has spent quite a lot on promoting LIHS, so they might not get their own back from the sales.

It's an excellent four song EP: My Love, I Wish You Lonely, Jackie, Home is a Question Mark?

Spent the Day in Bed is way too stick in your head annoying for me to listen to on a regular album spinning basis.

Everything after Spent is almost like a completely different album and belongs on a separate disk.
Your right its like two albums,if they were in different order I think it makes it a different record.first five are classic Morrissey, then three slow, next two are back to Morrissey and then Israel.theres too much of a lull in the middle,i think if the political songs are spaced out correctly it wouldn't seem as if you were being battered over the head by the arab spring.why doesn't everyone do a bit of jiggery pokery and see what results we come up with.

The album is just the same as his last few, just average with a few highlights, none are Viva Hate, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall or Quarry.

Of course it's going to do better that World Peace, whatever happened to that album?

All very exciting until one realizes that in the 1988, Viva Hate probably sold 24,000k in Croydon.

and 10,000 in Stockton on Tees.

He was pretty big in 1988, in the public eye, Suedehead and Everyday is Like Sunday played constantly on commercial radio and 13 year olds like me buying his records. Times change.

He was pretty big in 1988, in the public eye, Suedehead and Everyday is Like Sunday played constantly on commercial radio and 13 year olds like me buying his records. Times change.

Even if he did a song as great as Everyday Is Like Sunday you would never again feel it like you did when you were 13, and hence Moz won't ever be able to create a song good enough to satisfy people like you.

Yes, and quite rapidly as 2 years later Kill Uncle sank without a trace.

People tend to forget that for most of the 90s he was really in quite a marginal position in the UK.
He certainly would not have sold out Ally Pally, RAH BA ánd the Palladium in any given year.

aye thirty years ago,tell me one artist who is selling the same amount as they were in 1988,people who would always make the charts were Elton john,paul McCartney,now even they cant get anywhere near it,its a different time and people like,stormsy are chartbound now,heard one of his songs the other day,f*** me,didnt understand a word of it.

Last edited:
Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom