Morrissey Central "BMG DUMP MORRISSEY" (November 16, 2020)

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/bmg-dump-morrissey

fin...

Excerpt:

BMG Records have dropped Morrissey. Following the March 2020 release of I AM NOT A DOG ON A CHAIN
(#1 Scotland, #1 Poland, #3 Britain, #3 France, #10 Spain, #13 Germany, #2, #9, #17, #18 U.S.A. - depending
on which official chart you follow), BMG have appointed a new Executive who does not want another Morrissey
album. Instead, the new BMG Executive has announced new plans for 'diversity' within BMG's artist roster, and
all projected BMG Morrissey releases/reissues have been scrapped.

"This news is perfectly in keeping with the relentless galvanic horror of 2020," said Morrissey, "we would be critically insane to expect anything positive."

Morrissey is once again in search of a new label willing to release his music.

"My three albums with BMG have been the best of my career, and I stand by them till death. Recording them has been a pivotal period in my life, and I thank the previous BMG team and everyone involved for that. It's still important to me to do music my own way, and I wouldn't want to be on a label that dictates so specifically how their artists should behave - especially when the word 'talent' is notably never mentioned."

Morrissey's duet with David Bowie is now available on Parlophone via Warner.

"There are too many cases of successful artists languishing at labels who are no longer interested in them." Alistair Norbury, BMG.

Morrissey's Las Vegas residency remains in place for 2021.

above quotes collected by V.Pearson for M.Central.
full interview will be printed shortly.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Diversity is considered far more important than talent these days.

God this world deserves to burn.
WTF are you on about? You signed up for the ride and can’t handle where it took you? You bought into the bullshit of a one-trick, washed-up pony and now you can’t handle the truth? You claim adoration for Morrissey’s last 5 albums - which ALL tanked?

You’re right about one thing, Sunshine. ...and most of Morrissey’s fans have been saying it for years - “God this world needs to burn”.

It will. The world of Morrissey, that is. The rest of us will be just fine.

I think, in truth, sales of LIHS disappointed. Indeed, I think the record itself would’ve been received coldly by the executives. And what on earth was going on with that sleeve art: some of his visual creative decisions have seemed like sabotage.

LIHS wasn't a good record (unlike Dog....which was a good record).......hardly a surprise it didn't sell. The last 2 album covers and artwork have been horrendous. He's taken his eye of the ball. It's probably about time he forgets about record companies and does what everyone else does..........god knows he's got the financial resources........DIY.

This just in: Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry and Justin Bieber all dropped from their labels in the interests of diversity! The great replacement is happening as we speak! Think of the white people!

Oh shit, wait. All of those acts sell records. Nevermind.

They all make either black influenced or chart friendly shite. So, of course they won't. It's what the kids love.........keep feeding them shit.

I really love that record & I love his wee old wicked camp Uncle look.

He needs someone on his team, who isn't a relative, who understands his references, who will correct misunderstandings without drama, to create a story around his work - I think kitchen gothic would work. Northern gothic maybe.

Failing that - buy a flat in Soho, install himself in the pub, do a wee turn on Fridays.

He'd probably love it.
For me, LIHS doesn’t hold together well as a studio album: it’s too eclectic.

Moz's poor sales, regardless of recent "Controversies", were due to the record company and the unfortunate timing of the release, in the first week of quarantine in the Uk. There were no music mag ads....pre-release singles that virtually got no airplay, no official videos. It was a complete cock-up.
Listen, grandpa... nobody who buys music needs a f***ing magazine or billboard to tell them what to buy. A simple release date suffices for every artist worth following, who’s followed.

What? Nobody made an infomercial for Melvis’ last 5 albums? THAT’s why he can’t sell a record? That’s why he doesn’t get airplay? That’s why he can’t sell-out a venue?

Back to your rocker, old fool. Let’s tie on your bib and feed you some pudding. Chocolate or rice? Oh - wait... Grandpa like Morrissey.

Bring us the vanilla!!!

Fak Arf.

They all make either black influenced or chart friendly shite. So, of course they won't. It's what the kids love.........keep feeding them shit.
The brilliant musings of a bitter old racist. You are so obsolete, can't you just go off and die somewhere? More than you already have?

LIHS wasn't a good record (unlike Dog....which was a good record).......hardly a surprise it didn't sell. The last 2 album covers and artwork have been horrendous. He's taken his eye of the ball. It's probably about time he forgets about record companies and does what everyone else does..........god knows he's got the financial resources........DIY.
He’s also got some insecurities and affecting cultural references which, I fear, makes DIY near impossible for him.

Morrissey's ego isn't fragile at all.
It's rather the opposite.
My guess is that sometimes he gets ill and depressed as a result of his strong ego stubborness in achieving the impossible.
His reaction this time is just his usual way to keep on fighting the system, as he sees it, and has been doing his whole life.
Maybe his ego could've learned by now not to spend so much energy in battles he cannot win, and find alternatives to keep on doing what he likes the way he likes.
But, it seems that his battles make sense to him no matter the consequences to his mental and physical health.
Maybe Morrissey could benefit from a good psychotherapy (with a Neo-Jungian/Hillmanian analyst) at this point in his life. Maybe, maybe...

Anyways, I love him very very much.
"I have just been to see eminent Irish psychiatrist Dr Anthony Clare in his drab consulting room. ‘Remember, he’s only a man,’ Sinead O’Connor had cautioned me before I had entered his sunless bastille. He is indeed only a man, and not a very interesting one at that. He disapproves of everything I say without a speck of tender perception.
‘I find it very difficult to accept almost anything in life,’ I tell him, and he huffs as if about to take somebody’s name in vain. Minutes later, with 1945 all around us, Jake and I are down by the sea.
‘I spoke to the doctor about human suffering,’ I squint.
‘I feel sorry for the doctor,’ says Jake.
‘I said I agreed that suffering wasn’t much of a price to pay if your life eventually sorts itself out, but he –’
‘Oh shut UP,’ says Jake. So I shut up".

Well, at least Sinéad still has faith in psychotherapy :LOL:

I really love that record & I love his wee old wicked camp Uncle look.

He needs someone on his team, who isn't a relative, who understands his references, who will correct misunderstandings without drama, to create a story around his work - I think kitchen gothic would work. Northern gothic maybe.

Failing that - buy a flat in Soho, install himself in the pub, do a wee turn on Fridays.

He'd probably love it.
Jeffrey Bernard style?

Well, on reflection, that might not be an accident. It might be Morrissey showing the limits of his own investment in the BMG relationship.
Who are you kidding? It's Morrissey showing the limits of his investment in his own career. Minus a few singles here and there, the sleeves have all been shit since Maladjusted. But what he's done to his aesthetic over the past five or six years is beyond the pale.

If only the record company had released Morrissey's album on a different day and put adverts in the music press. What a cock
-up.

Off this site? I'm actually a fan.....unlike you and I know about music.......unlike you...........so....probably not. :p
Stephen Hofmann stands in front of the mirror applying pomade to the 11 hairs he has left on his head, gestures towards a faded calendar for the year 1988 and says to himself "I know about music."

Who are you kidding? It's Morrissey showing the limits of his investment in his own career. Minus a few singles here and there, the sleeves have all been shit since Maladjusted. But what he's done to his aesthetic over the past five or six years is beyond the pale.
In truth, I was shocked by The Maladjusted sleeve in ‘97. But when I look at it alongside the images on subsequent studio albums, it seems like a Gilbert & George style work of genius. Worse was the Roy’s Keen image, where he’d literally just pointed to a nice picture in a book.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom