Morrissey Central "BMG DUMP MORRISSEY" (November 16, 2020)

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/bmg-dump-morrissey

fin...

Excerpt:

BMG Records have dropped Morrissey. Following the March 2020 release of I AM NOT A DOG ON A CHAIN
(#1 Scotland, #1 Poland, #3 Britain, #3 France, #10 Spain, #13 Germany, #2, #9, #17, #18 U.S.A. - depending
on which official chart you follow), BMG have appointed a new Executive who does not want another Morrissey
album. Instead, the new BMG Executive has announced new plans for 'diversity' within BMG's artist roster, and
all projected BMG Morrissey releases/reissues have been scrapped.

"This news is perfectly in keeping with the relentless galvanic horror of 2020," said Morrissey, "we would be critically insane to expect anything positive."

Morrissey is once again in search of a new label willing to release his music.

"My three albums with BMG have been the best of my career, and I stand by them till death. Recording them has been a pivotal period in my life, and I thank the previous BMG team and everyone involved for that. It's still important to me to do music my own way, and I wouldn't want to be on a label that dictates so specifically how their artists should behave - especially when the word 'talent' is notably never mentioned."

Morrissey's duet with David Bowie is now available on Parlophone via Warner.

"There are too many cases of successful artists languishing at labels who are no longer interested in them." Alistair Norbury, BMG.

Morrissey's Las Vegas residency remains in place for 2021.

above quotes collected by V.Pearson for M.Central.
full interview will be printed shortly.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
The entertainment industry such as theatre, cinema and music, has very little space for the over 50. I would say music is the worse, as they boycott any older artists that are not attractive enough to the young musically and that it doesn't follow certain formulated standards dictated by most record companies. I found repulsive that many of us are forced by the industry to stop following the careers of those that we like, simply because they have grown old. Getting older doesn't mean artists have to be pushed to the corner, they can still create and have lots to offer. There is far too much prejudice against old artists and that attitude must change in the industry and also some fans. While someone can still be creative, who cares about age!
View attachment 65618
I hope he finds a record label that can give him enough freedom to continue while he wants to and can.

Rock music relies on heritage acts now, since the young never replaced them. Rock music will be dead in 30 yrs.

Sadly, I see those upcoming tour dates being cancelled due to the pandemic.
Pandemic or not, those dates are simply are not happening. It’s just about not being the first to mention it, as that brings financial penalties.

Las Vegas venues aren’t known for their kind hearts and flexible contracts. And Morrissey hasn’t heard of ‘the show must go on’. I anticipate lawsuits.

Rock music relies on heritage acts now, since the young never replaced them. Rock music will be dead in 30 yrs.
OK, Boomer. Just because you only know the music of your youth and present bubble doesn’t mean there’s not a whole world of amazing stuff out there.

Get back up your hole, Clown-shoes.

I don't think anything that was posted on Central regarding the California Son vinyl singles should be taken too seriously.
They obviously made announcements before a proper release schedule was set.
The worst was probably the Lady Wilpower 7" that never happened. Wedding Bell Blues and It's Over were the only CS singles that saw a physical release.
To be fair, It's Over was probably the most convoluted, problematic release I've ever known.
The headache-inducing timeline I collated/compiled here was probably indicative of some behind the scenes issues that were more than SER et al getting ahead of themselves?
Regards,
FWD.

Classical music is hugely older than rock and is still very alive! Rock is here to stay as many other styles. Unfortunately, now is all about R&B, hip-hop, rap, reggaeton and ramifications of those in terms of selling and making money for the industry.

Certainly. If BMG could have made money off him, they certainly wouldn’t have dropped him. It’s just an excuse to protect his fragile ego. As usual.

Morrissey's ego isn't fragile at all.
It's rather the opposite.
My guess is that sometimes he gets ill and depressed as a result of his strong ego stubborness in achieving the impossible.
His reaction this time is just his usual way to keep on fighting the system, as he sees it, and has been doing his whole life.
Maybe his ego could've learned by now not to spend so much energy in battles he cannot win, and find alternatives to keep on doing what he likes the way he likes.
But, it seems that his battles make sense to him no matter the consequences to his mental and physical health.
Maybe Morrissey could benefit from a good psychotherapy (with a Neo-Jungian/Hillmanian analyst) at this point in his life. Maybe, maybe...

Anyways, I love him very very much.

Classical music is hugely older than rock and is still very alive! Rock is here to stay as many other styles. Unfortunately now is all about R&B, hip-hop, rap, reggaeton and ramifications of those in terms of selling and making money for the industry.

Well, Classical still relies on all those dead composers from the past, by and large. I don't think rock music will carry on because white working class kids aren't forming the bands anymore (because of the music you quoted) and those that do.........they just don't have the songs.

To be fair, It's Over was probably the most convoluted, problematic release I've ever known.
The headache-inducing timeline I collated/compiled here was probably indicative of some behind the scenes issues that were more than SER et al getting ahead of themselves?
Regards,
FWD.
It really was shambolic and I don't know if there were behind the scenes issues, obviously.

To me it felt like they were indeed getting ahead of themselves, as there never was an announcement made anywhere else until it finally appeared but I might be wrong.

Classical music is hugely older than rock and is still very alive! Rock is here to stay as many other styles. Unfortunately, now is all about R&B, hip-hop, rap, reggaeton and ramifications of those in terms of selling and making money for the industry.
"Hey, hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye..."

The entertainment industry such as theatre, cinema and music, has very little space for the over 50. I would say music is the worse, as they boycott any older artists that are not attractive enough to the young musically.
This doesn't really stack up when you look at where BMG are willing to put their money. Every album on the label in the charts this week is by a solo artist over 50. Kylie's at number one. They've got various old fogie big name acts, but also quite a few who probably don't sell as many records as Moz (e.g. Lenny Kravitz, Sparks, Jennifer Warnes, David Crosby). In fact, it's probably quite a good time to be over-the-hill in the music industry, if only because your audience is still willing to pay for music.

This doesn't really stack up when you look at where BMG are willing to put their money. Every album on the label in the charts this week is by a solo artist over 50. Kylie's at number one. They've got various old fogie big name acts, but also quite a few who probably don't sell as many records as Moz (e.g. Lenny Kravitz, Sparks, Jennifer Warnes, David Crosby). In fact, it's probably quite a good time to be over-the-hill in the music industry, if only because your audience is still willing to pay for music.
Yep, Sir Cliff just had a top 3 album. Daniel O'Donnell as well.

Don't see them in the singles charts.

And let's face it, the left did their best to destroy Cliff's career with lies & bullshit; the difference is he has a loyal fanbase. I bet there isn't a Cliff forum tearing him apart.

Well, Classical still relies on all those dead composers from the past, by and large. I don't think rock music will carry on because white working class kids aren't forming the bands anymore (because of the music you quoted) and those that do.........they just don't have the songs.
Jesus f***. ^This clown lives in a half-penny sized bubble and thinks he’s got something to share. He bought a few records back in highschool but hasn’t entered a record store since. He doesn’t even know they still exist. ...but he’s still perfectly willing to let you all know how he feels about the state of music he’s never heard.

Where I come, we call someone like this a “loudmouth, ignorant sack of shit”.

Fak Arf.

You're very wrong about it. There're lots of new classical music composers, not just the long time known and named. Classical music didn't stop after the death of Mozart!
It is not only white working class kids making the music I mentioned. You would be surprise of how many 'mummy's and daddy's kids' are out there copying black music styles. And still lots of new rock indie bands trying to make it through. It is the record industry (with help from radio stations that they give money to) the ones telling people what they should be listen to and buy. Unfortunately, not many people now make time to think about what's out there, apart from the music charts. And unfortunately, the music industry is very strong and they know very well how to manipulate the taste of most people. I am glad and proud not to be one of those people. Not only because I like Morrissey, also many others not making music for the charts. Thanks God!

I think you have a point: rock music is a folk art form. The Folk Revival occurred after some significant government investment (things like The Mass-Observation Project). And even Irish outfits like The Dubliners benefitted, albeit indirectly.

Rock music similarly needs protecting, as a cultural artefact, if it is to continue having any representation in pop music. And good luck trying to make that case in the Post-Covid wasteland.

I think you have a point: rock music is a folk art form. The Folk Revival occurred after some significant government investment (things like The Mass-Observation Project). And even Irish outfits like The Dubliners benefitted, albeit indirectly.

Rock music similarly needs protecting, as a cultural artefact, if it is to continue having any representation in pop music. And good luck trying to make that case in the Post-Covid wasteland.

Maybe rock deserves to die. I don't think anyone's going to discover a new chord anytime soon. It's all re-cycled to death. I'll be dead by then anyway.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom