Morrissey Central "BMG DUMP MORRISSEY" (November 16, 2020)

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/bmg-dump-morrissey

fin...

Excerpt:

BMG Records have dropped Morrissey. Following the March 2020 release of I AM NOT A DOG ON A CHAIN
(#1 Scotland, #1 Poland, #3 Britain, #3 France, #10 Spain, #13 Germany, #2, #9, #17, #18 U.S.A. - depending
on which official chart you follow), BMG have appointed a new Executive who does not want another Morrissey
album. Instead, the new BMG Executive has announced new plans for 'diversity' within BMG's artist roster, and
all projected BMG Morrissey releases/reissues have been scrapped.

"This news is perfectly in keeping with the relentless galvanic horror of 2020," said Morrissey, "we would be critically insane to expect anything positive."

Morrissey is once again in search of a new label willing to release his music.

"My three albums with BMG have been the best of my career, and I stand by them till death. Recording them has been a pivotal period in my life, and I thank the previous BMG team and everyone involved for that. It's still important to me to do music my own way, and I wouldn't want to be on a label that dictates so specifically how their artists should behave - especially when the word 'talent' is notably never mentioned."

Morrissey's duet with David Bowie is now available on Parlophone via Warner.

"There are too many cases of successful artists languishing at labels who are no longer interested in them." Alistair Norbury, BMG.

Morrissey's Las Vegas residency remains in place for 2021.

above quotes collected by V.Pearson for M.Central.
full interview will be printed shortly.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though we knew this day was coming, the Cosmic Dancer passive-aggressive release was certainly "off the reservation" and probably expedited BMG pulling the plug on Stephen.

Moz's poor sales, regardless of recent "Controversies", were due to the record company and the unfortunate timing of the release, in the first week of quarantine in the Uk. There were no music mag ads....pre-release singles that virtually got no airplay, no official videos. It was a complete cock-up.
Morrissey can’t get his act together, where marketing is concerned. 90% of marketing now comes via social media and a fan-base. He’s ignored that and so have you. Instead of creating a positive force for your beloved artist, you’ve devoted your time to yelling at people and clouds. That’s your thing and - judging by your multiple comments about multiple genres (Rock ‘n Roll, Classical) its best you’re not a part of that pursuit. You don’t get it.

I get the impression, from some of your more sentient posts, that you used to listen to music. It’s blatantly obvious that you don’t listen to music anymore. Not like you used to. ...at least nothing beyond Melvis. Your commentary is that of an armchair punter in broken recliner. You’re a hobbyist critic. While that’s fine and dandy, I’ll kindly suggest that you stay in your f***ing lane. It’ll spare you further embarrassment and lead to a greater, more productive discourse on the facts at hand.

Quite literally: NOBODY - of the hundreds of thousands of people who enjoy, curate, disseminate and play records everyday - gives a f*** about what you think.

Fak Arf, GOOF.

Jesus f***. ^This clown lives in a half-penny sized bubble and thinks he’s got something to share. He bought a few records back in highschool but hasn’t entered a record store since. He doesn’t even know they still exist. ...but he’s still perfectly willing to let you all know how he feels about the state of music he’s never heard.

Where I come, we call someone like this a “loudmouth, ignorant sack of shit”.

Fak Arf.

Where do you come from? Broadmoor ? I thought you died the other day.

Even though we knew this day was coming, the Cosmic Dancer passive-aggressive release was certainly "off the reservation" and probably expedited BMG pulling the plug on Stephen.
It was over ages ago. Definitely by the time It’s Over was being touted as a single. Possibly after the first week sales figures for LIHS were released.

I hope he will find a label soon... I don't think he will ever begin to self publish himself. I really don't think that record labels are too relevant nowadays, but Morrissey pays a lot of attention to them.

I hope he will find a label soon... I don't think he will ever begin to self publish himself. I really don't think that record labels are too relevant nowadays, but Morrissey pays a lot of attention to them.
In principle, he has his own label already. It should be so easy. But I think you’re right to say it won’t be.

Well, on reflection, that might not be an accident. It might be Morrissey showing the limits of his own investment in the BMG relationship.

The sleeve art first hit a bump with the Boy Racer sleeve back in ‘95, but with LIHS and California Son it became clear that the wheels had completely fell off.
YES! He borrowed a whack of money off of BMG to record, produce and release albums - but then ensured that they all have shit for covers, to prove that h

Brilliant!

What the f*** is wrong with these people? Lol!

From the original post:

"Instead, the new BMG Executive has announced new plans for 'diversity' within BMG's artist roster..."

That is ridiculous. You don't dump artists because you want the label to be more diverse. You keep the artists that you have and search for new talent. I mean, that's like Parlophone dumping The Beatles so they could sign an artist of colour.

This decision by BMG is very similar in tone to the recent Top 500 list that Rolling Stone put out.

Say what you want about Morrissey and the things he spouts on his website, in interviews and live, but you have to admit that the guy is a talented songwriter.

If BMG have dumped him because of the crap he says, then why don't they just say that?

Morrissey can’t get his act together, where marketing is concerned. 90% of marketing now comes via social media and a fan-base. He’s ignored that and so have you. Instead of creating a positive force for your beloved artist, you’ve devoted your time to yelling at people and clouds. That’s your thing and - judging by your multiple comments about multiple genres (Rock ‘n Roll, Classical) its best you’re not a part of that pursuit. You don’t get it.

I get the impression, from some of your more sentient posts, that you used to listen to music. It’s blatantly obvious that you don’t listen to music anymore. Not like you used to. ...at least nothing beyond Melvis. Your commentary is that of an armchair punter in broken recliner. You’re a hobbyist critic. While that’s fine and dandy, I’ll kindly suggest that you stay in your f***ing lane. It’ll spare you further embarrassment and lead to a greater, more productive discourse on the facts at hand.

Quite literally: NOBODY - of the hundreds of thousands of people who enjoy, curate, disseminate and play records everyday - gives a f*** about what you think.

Fak Arf, GOOF.

Music really isn't alive. If you think this is a golden period for music i suggest you seek therapy. You obviously cared enough to reply with quite a substantial reply though. Personally......I cba going further than a paragraph.

YES! He borrowed a whack of money off of BMG to record, produce and release albums - but then ensured that they all have shit for covers, to prove that h

Brilliant!

Where did all you trolls spring from?

Brilliant!

Should mention a terrible year for MOZ in life many thoughts about his year. BMG done well out of Moz made cash, so who cares about the cash cow record companies. Life is assured and the genius will return IN MOZ WE TRUST and the rest do as you wish and get a life. When the famous AND successful leave life as we know it we respect and value the worth to life they brought and the joy they brung to many.

Music really isn't alive. If you think this is a golden period for music i suggest you seek therapy. You obviously cared enough to reply with quite a substantial reply though. Personally......I cba going further than a paragraph.
What an absolutely idiotic thing to say. There are plenty of great things going on in music at the moment -- YOU JUST DON'T KNOW ABOUT THEM.

Suck my big one.
What’s that? You’ve “big one”, is it now? Lol! You just hang tight, li’l shooter! One day - highly unlikely as it seems - you may may get that half-arsed Melvis reach around, you so deeply desire on that wee tadger of yours!

What an absolutely idiotic thing to say. There are plenty of great things going on in music at the moment -- YOU JUST DON'T KNOW ABOUT THEM.

There's good music but nothing that will impact the world like the great bands of the past. Certainly not in terms of songwriting ability.

to quote the great Joni Mitchell

“I heard someone from the music business saying they are no longer looking for talent, they want people with a certain look and a willingness to cooperate,” Joni Mitchell says, summarizing just about everything she feels is wrong with the pop world these days.

“I thought, that’s interesting, because I believe a total unwillingness to cooperate is what is necessary to be an artist -- not for perverse reasons, but to protect your vision. The considerations of a corporation, especially now, have nothing to do with art or music. That’s why I spend my time now painting.”

she said this in 2004 and she was right then and is right still

The most important thingis that Morrissey wants to continue singing whatever it is,he must dedicate himself to doing recitals and go for a smaller record company or create his own label,it is not serious and a i do not think it has to do with politics ,Morrissey does not he is from the right or from the left ,this is a business issue ,not talent ,he is a great musician,his career is made and it should not be drama ,younger peopme are in another unfortunately they consume garbage
VIVA MOZ ALWAYS AND ALWAYS ❤❤❤❤❤

There's good music but nothing that will impact the world like the great bands of the past. Certainly not in terms of songwriting ability.

Nonsense. Bob Dylan released Murder Most Foul back in March. It is epic.

I also think Stephen Malkmus and J Mascis are great songwriters. Have a listen to the solo work from both of them.

Their record company can't be promoting them well enough.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom