Blender magazine ranking...The Smiths #10

mell

loves moz
I happened to see the December issue of Blender magazine this morning while shopping and flipped through it because they have a ranking of the "100 Greatest Indie-rock Albums Ever."

They ranked The Smiths' debut album at #10:
The Smiths, The Smiths, Rough Trade, 1984
Wusses of the world, unite!

Guess what, boys: It’s OK to be miserable. That’s the lesson to be drawn from this debut, wherein guitarist Johnny Marr jangles merrily and Morrissey swoons like a heartbroken lady-in-waiting whose corset is too tight. It set the lilac-scented stage for years of sexless yearning that would follow.

Peruse the whole list here (not sure that I agree with their rankings, but thought some of you might be interested):
http://www.blender.com/articles/default.aspx?key=9565&pg=9

Thank you very much for the link.

Very interesting choice, makes me want to listen Slanted and Enchanted which I haven't listened for ages.

I have never understood the appeal of Sonic Youth. Sister is OK, but nothing spectacular; Goo has its poppy moments, but Daydream Nation is just, well, dull. I'd be hard pressed to find enough on them to fill a single mix CD. I passed up an opportunity to see them live in 1990 and don't regret it for a minute.

And R.E.M. Mumu? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Did the reviewer even glance at the CD?

I happened to see the December issue of Blender magazine this morning while shopping and flipped through it because they have a ranking of the "100 Greatest Indie-rock Albums Ever."

They ranked The Smiths' debut album at #10:
The Smiths, The Smiths, Rough Trade, 1984
Wusses of the world, unite!

Guess what, boys: It’s OK to be miserable. That’s the lesson to be drawn from this debut, wherein guitarist Johnny Marr jangles merrily and Morrissey swoons like a heartbroken lady-in-waiting whose corset is too tight. It set the lilac-scented stage for years of sexless yearning that would follow.

Peruse the whole list here (not sure that I agree with their rankings, but thought some of you might be interested):
http://www.blender.com/articles/default.aspx?key=9565&pg=9

Oh, sweet Jesus. Did they even listen to the words?

What an awful mini-review. And who they callin' wussies?!! :mad:
bringit.jpg

[/url]

Blender, is it possible that you think the Smiths were sort of gay?

What an awful mini-review. And who they callin' wussies?!! :mad:

I know, I was kind of offended! :eek: I'm not exactly sure how Blender ranks in terms of musical authority and I never buy it. They did have Jay-Z on the cover and I can't stand him. I'm just glad they recognized The Smiths!

Back
Top Bottom