Bits of WPINOYB that remind you of other songs

The triple snare drum hit at the beginning of 'The Bullfighter Dies' is identical to the start of 'Suedehead'.

The end of Neal Cassidy reminds me of the Smash Euro pop hint from 1985. Opus Life Is Life. La la la lalala. Which I'm sure isn't the desired effect.

The end of Staircase at the University reminds me of the entire singles output of the Lightning Seeds who made a career out of making the same single for 10 years.

Towards the end of Kiss me A Lot/ Bésame Mucho reminds me of The Cardigans but I'm not sure of which track.

'Julie in the weeds' reminds me musically of Tommy Jones 'Crystal Blue Persuasion' from Breaking Bad, the outro especially

'I'm Not A Man' is similar to Harold Norse's poem also titled I'm not a Man

I think it's from Drag The River when he sings "all alone" - reminds me of Southpaw, the title track.

'I'm Not A Man' is similar to Harold Norse's poem also titled I'm not a Man

I didn't know this poem before. Thanks for sharing this info, Mozzersmandan! Quite a bit of Beat inspiration on this album, for sure.

http://haroldnorse.com/9

I’m Not a Man

I’m not a man, I can’t earn a living, buy new things for my family.
I have acne and a small peter.

I’m not a man. I don’t like football, boxing and cars.
I like to express my feeling. I even like to put an arm
around my friend’s shoulder.

I’m not a man. I won’t play the role assigned to me- the role created
by Madison Avenue, Playboy, Hollywood and Oliver Cromwell,
Television does not dictate my behavior.

I’m not a man. Once when I shot a squirrel I swore that I would
never kill again. I gave up meat. The sight of blood makes me sick.
I like flowers.

I’m not a man. I went to prison resisting the draft. I do not fight
when real men beat me up and call me queer. I dislike violence.

I’m not a man. I have never raped a woman. I don’t hate blacks.
I do not get emotional when the flag is waved. I do not think I should
love America or leave it. I think I should laugh at it.

I’m not a man. I have never had the clap.

I’m not a man. Playboy is not my favorite magazine.

I’m not a man. I cry when I’m unhappy.

I’m not a man. I do not feel superior to women

I’m not a man. I don’t wear a jockstrap.

I’m not a man. I write poetry.

I’m not a man. I meditate on peace and love.

I’m not a man. I don’t want to destroy you

San Francisco, 1972

The intro of Staircase at the University reminds me of the intro of Everyday is Like Sunday. (But probably it's just me wanting to be 11 again..?)

Staircase has a 10,000 Maniacs vibe, particularly towards the end. Julie has that white-boy soul, Orange Juice thing. Love them both. The whole album is a delight. A record that is undeniably Morrissey and yet sounds unlike any other Morrissey record.

Mountjoy has immediately reminded me of Walk On The Wild Side, and - do correct if I'm mistaken - the chord sequence, as well as sound effects, are both quasi-identical to the ones Lou Reed used.

The "Round, round. The rhythm goes round" part in Oboe Concerto reminds me a bit of the "you kick them when they fall down" part in That Joke isn't funny anymore.

Interesting you'd say that since I was going to comment that the voice he sings that bit in is so strongly Smiths-Viva Hate era sounding and I think that was intentional -- the rhythm of life goes round from then to now. Pretty brilliant by Morrissey.

Drag The River reminds me of Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference. It's giving my Drag a Bona...

Last edited:
Moz's singing at the end of Neal Cassidy reminds me of the chorus to this song.

Today in the car when we were coming home from the Color Run, we had the new album on and the Mrs. mentioned how the end of “Neal Cassady” reminded her of this song and I immediately went “OHHHH they mentioned that on the Solo board!”

Back
Top Bottom