Bisphenol A is a dangerous substance and it's probably in your body

I had to do a couple of searches on this and it don't sound good, not exactly like adding sea salt or black pepper to a can of your choice

The liquid in some cans of tinned vegetables have been found to contain both bisphenol A, and the related chemical dimethyl bisphenol-A. The highest levels of bisphenol A were found in cans of peas, with an average of 23 µg per can. Other liquors containing bisphenol A were from cans of artichokes, beans, mixed vegetables, corn and mushrooms. There was no detectable bisphenol A in cans of palm hearts, asparagus, peppers and tomatoes (Brotons et al., 1995).
All liquors which contained bisphenol A were oestrogenic to a human breast cancer cell assay. Those liquors without detectable bisphenol A were not oestrogenic. The liquor from the most contaminated vegetables, the peas, produced 58% of the oestrogenic response generated by oestradiol (Brotons et al., 1995).
The vegetables themselves were not tested for oestrogenicity or Bisphenol A content , though since they probably contain more fat than their liquor, they are likely to contain at least as much Bisphenol A as the liquor.
This research also included an examination of cans of other, more fatty, products, including condensed milk, pork and beans and concentrated milk-based infant formula. Unfortunately, the products themselves were not analysed. Instead, the cans were emptied, cleaned, then filled with distilled water and autoclaved at 125 °C for 30 minutes, then the water was analysed. Some of these water samples, including those from condensed milk cans, were found to contain bisphenol A and were oestrogenic. All canned foods are autoclaved after canning; the fact that bisphenol A is leached into water during autoclaving in these experiments suggests that any product packed in similar cans will contain bisphenol A. It is also likely that substantially more bisphenol A will leach into fatty products.
NB: Which canned products do or do not contain bisphenol A cannot be determined from this study, since it will depend on the particular brand of product tested. The cans were purchased in Spain and the USA, but came from a variety of countries.
US Food and Drug administration research has found that bisphenol a leaches from infant formula cans into infant formulae (Biles et al, 1997). The levels of bisphenol found in the formula varied between 0.1 ppb and 13.2 ppb, from one to six times lower than the Brotons study, above.
EC rules limit migration of bisphenol A into food to 3 mg/kg, compared with a maximum liquor concentration in this research of 80 µg/kg (ENDS, 1995). The EC limit does not allow for oestrogenic toxicity.
In 2001 the UK Food Standards Agency published a study on the leaching of bisphenol a from food cans.
Polycarbonate

Is this an American thing? Because I can't say that I've ever see that lining in a tin. Not that I eat much tinned stuff.

Back
Top Bottom