Birmingham - O2 Academy (Oct. 5, 2022) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Knockabout World / First Of The Gang To Die / Frankly, Mr. Shankly / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Rebels Without Applause / The Loop / I Am Veronica / Little Man, What Now? / Save Me ( brief Joan Armatrading a cappella) / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Bonfire Of Teenagers / (Auld Lang Syne intro) Everyday Is Like Sunday / Never Had No One Ever / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist (as it happened) courtesy of @NealCassidy

Last edited:
I’m currently in bed drifting in & out of intermittent sickness sleep when I should really be at this gig.

I was really happy that I managed to book tonight off work & nab a ticket at face value on Sunday evening…at about the same time I started to feel my throat getting a little sore…

The past couple of days I felt gradually worse and then today, I awoke from a 12 hour sleep feeling like a reheated corpse.

Even up to the last couple of hours I was making myself dinner & forcing myself into the shower, attempting to gear myself up to head to the gig, but even listening to a podcast makes my throbbing skull ache so there’s no way I could stand in a crowd of people being blasted with extremely loud live music.

Absolutely gutted. I was so looking forward to hearing him sing so many of my favourite songs tonight…& with Alain back in the band; just as he was when I first saw Moz back in ‘91 & ‘92.

Anyway, I just hope the new album really is coming out soon & that he’ll tour again to promote it, playing a similar set-list in similar-sized venues.

I even thought about just turning up near the end of the set & entering the venue just in time to hear him play Please, Please, Please… but my poor head & body are not supporting this idea.

I hope everyone who attended tonight had a great gig & that plenty of pics & videos will be shared here…
I would try and get to Brixton if u are able to.... Some Tickets on twickets at the mo.

He was on top form last night, which I didn't think he would be after playing Manchester the night before.

I would try and get to Brixton if u are able to.... Some Tickets on twickets at the mo.

He was on top form last night, which I didn't think he would be after playing Manchester the night before.

I can’t see me getting to Brixton. I’m feeling really sick and feel like I’ll need the next few days in bed to get better.

I’d like to thank everyone for their kind words, though, & also everyone who has been posting the videos; I’m enjoying watching them whilst coughing my lungs up this morning.

It looks like it was a great gig. Hopefully, he’ll return to Brum soon…

Absolutely fantastic!!! I’ve waited 37 years for this moment and Morrissey didn’t let me down!! He’s a true performer and was pitch perfect! It was great to see young and old together (mainly old 🤣) It was a shame he didn’t do ‘I spent the day in bed’ but nevertheless it was amazing!!! His band were excellent too… ❤️❤️ Don’t stop Mozzer xxxxx
“I spent the day in bed”. God that is such an awful song

I'm 57 and have been to maybe 15 Morrissey gigs. Last night was probably the smallest venue, but the PA was driven so hard that it was distorting. My hearing is wrecked this morning. Prior to this, I've always thought Morrissey's production was top-notch. Last night the vocal EQ sounded far too tinny. For a lot of songs, it was just a muddy wall of sound.

Am I just getting too old for this lark?? Have tickets for Brighton, so hopefully things might be better :)

Obviously he does not want any physical contact as he cannot have people breathing on him and get sick during this tour. Many bands have this protocol. If it fails, you have to cancel shows like Ringo Starr, Justin Bieber or Echo and the Bunnymen.
Many bands have this protocol. If it fails, you have to cancel shows like Ringo Starr, Justin Bieber or Echo and the Bunnymen.”

And that’s a tragedy because?

I can’t see me getting to Brixton. I’m feeling really sick and feel like I’ll need the next few days in bed to get better.

I’d like to thank everyone for their kind words, though, & also everyone who has been posting the videos; I’m enjoying watching them whilst coughing my lungs up this morning.

It looks like it was a great gig. Hopefully, he’ll return to Brum soon…
Have you tested for Coronavirus? Sounds like a possibility.

Just checked on Alexa... I who have nothing certainly is a Tom Jones thunderous Epic. It also has a James Bond thing going on.
It’s well worth a listen and I could see Morrissey making a great cover of this one, a bit like it’s over by RO.

Taken two tests this week & both came back negative. I’ve never had Corona - & I’m around a lot of people all of the time - I’m thinking I must be immune…or very lucky.
I wouldn’t consider you lucky at all, after missing the Mozz gig Tother night 😉

I wouldn’t consider you lucky at all, after missing the Mozz gig Tother night 😉

Fair point.

The more videos I’m watching, the more I regret not being able to go. Him & the band sound great & the song selection is brilliant. Also, it would’ve been the smallest venue I’d ever seen him play…which would’ve made it even better.

Just praying that the album will actually be released soon and he’ll play more u.k dates in the new year…

Just checked on Alexa... I who have nothing certainly is a Tom Jones thunderous Epic. It also has a James Bond thing going on.
It’s well worth a listen and I could see Morrissey making a great cover of this one, a bit like it’s over by RO.
I believe he's sung snippets of it previously.
I'm sure the Jones or Bassey versions had an influence on him, but also the original it was based on too:

FWD.

I'm 57 and have been to maybe 15 Morrissey gigs. Last night was probably the smallest venue, but the PA was driven so hard that it was distorting. My hearing is wrecked this morning. Prior to this, I've always thought Morrissey's production was top-notch. Last night the vocal EQ sounded far too tinny. For a lot of songs, it was just a muddy wall of sound.

Am I just getting too old for this lark?? Have tickets for Brighton, so hopefully things might be better :)
I think they are still engineering it as though it was an arena/large venue and I agree it isn’t great but no one will agree.

I believe he's sung snippets of it previously.
I'm sure the Jones or Bassey versions had an influence on him, but also the original it was based on too:

FWD.

Maybe it’s already been mentioned(?) that the Petula Clark version of I Who have Nothing is the one he had on his intro tape. So I assume that may be his favorite version, at the time that is.

I (Who Have Nothing) to Uno Dei Tanti (One of Many)…… nice juxtaposition 😅….. it was Bassey who did the Bond song.

Screenshot_20221006-173633~2.png
img_7_1665075009483~2.jpg
img_1_1665074916944~2.jpg
img_2_1665074926562~2.jpg
img_4_1665074953834~2.jpg
img_5_1665074968618~2.jpg

img_6_1665074982411~2.jpg

Alain has posted lots of images with comments on FB, but sharing them in full is an utter headache with the garbage share settings on FB - so please see his page to see in full.
The Peaky Blinders pub is a dive, odd seeing him in Pigeon Park too...
FWD.

Last night was brilliant, Morrissey and band both in fine form, the setlist is wonderfully balanced, as of course it was in Doncaster last week, and I also loved the addition of Little Man What Now. The crowd seemed to be enjoying it, it was more subdued than Doncaster perhaps but I don't think having the huge gap between the front barrier and stage did anything for whipping up the frenzy, there were no surges forward for a handshake for example. Frankly Mr Shankly is still a highlight for me but even lesser tracks like the Loop really sounded good last night. I've heard the live version of Bonfire Of Teenagers so many times now that I really hope I'm not disappointed by the studio version when it is finally released.

My local rag:

I went to see Morrissey at Birmingham O2 Academy - and it was a gig unlike any other I've ever been to

FWD.

View attachment 84862View attachment 84863View attachment 84864View attachment 84865View attachment 84866View attachment 84867
View attachment 84868

Alain has posted lots of images with comments on FB, but sharing them in full is an utter headache with the garbage share settings on FB - so please see his page to see in full.
The Peaky Blinders pub is a dive, odd seeing him in Pigeon Park too...
FWD.
So he was ultra central… would have been odd to bump into him

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom