Birmingham - Genting Arena (Feb. 27, 2018) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / Suedehead / I Wish You Lonely / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / The Bullfighter Dies / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / When You Open Your Legs / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I Bury The Living / Back On The Chain Gang / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Spent The Day In Bed / Jack The Ripper / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / Hold On To Your Friends / Home Is A Question Mark / How Soon Is Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Speedway // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist provided by Famous when dead.

• Morrissey on irresistible form at the Genting Arena - review, setlist and more by James Rodger (5 photos) - Birmingham Live. Link posted by an anonymous person.

42353_birmingham.jpg
  • Morrissey, Genting Arena, Birmingham - review with pics by Tom Oakley (12 photos by Dave Cox) - Express & Star. Link posted by Famous when dead.
  • Morrissey review – this once charming man by Kitty Empire (2 of 5 stars, 1 photo by Andrew Fox) - The Observer. Link posted by Uncleskinny (original post).

Last edited:

20180301_005054.jpg

I didn't notice him at all, but another one filmed.
Regards,
FWD.

I enjoyed my delightful youth in the early to mid 1990s. But guess what my grandad's attitude was during those glorious times?...

I do worry we're raising a generation of drug addicts. All this drug taking is very addictive and not healthy. I recently went to a joint 50th/18th birthday party where there were naturally two distinct crowds of people: the young and the middle aged. When the DJ got going I looked across the room and I could see was a sea of people queuing for the toilets; all the young folk were off their heads and gurning into each other's faces. This is the age where nothing is real unless it's been banged up yer hooter. For those of us who grew up before drugs were even invented, these are strange times.

How easy we forget our own past...

Nothing like a bit of ageism from someone bemoaning ageism. You don't even know the ages of people posting here. If people in their 30's and 40's are old then I feel sorry for you, because it will happen to you before you know it. We are not whinging about the new generation, we are whinging about the way cretins behave at concerts and the modern fascination with being seen to be seen. If you can't acknowledge that as a fact I don't know what to say. I find most twenty something's very likable and far more sophisticated and aware than I was at that age, and probably I'd say the same for teenagers. At the same time, there is a contingent of people who have zero attention span and would hack off an arm before giving up their phone. Now what was I saying again? p.s. I'm writing this on a laptop, just to be different.
How on earth can people use a mobile for all their online activities, it is completely beyond me. A pathetic little screen with websites not looking as they should. I can understand it when out and about but not all day and night long and yes I always use a laptop which is a dream compared to the amazing mobile I recently bought and will only use to quickly check some news and emails when out and about. Using a mobile is as small minded as they are so that is truly a perfect match.

Have to disagree with you there Russian Olympics Gold (may I call you Russian?).
It is a truism that older generations will always bemoan the next crop.
What frightens them is that a new generation will always find their own way and abandon many things that are habitual and even precious to the previous lot.
It's wrong to make value judgments. It's just new.
And it's good that it alienates us.
Change is essential.
Indeed, I find youngies these days are far more sophisticated that I was when their age.
And what's so great about military service for gods sake.
All that shooting, getting up early, exercising and being shouted at.
Ghastly.
It's not about military service specifically but these people are sheltered from day one and here we call such parents curling parents. You would benefit greatly from getting up early and having some exercise and being shouted at. Maybe you would be like me and actually go through all that with those in charge trying to break you down but failing cause you are so fit in mind, body and soul.
As for sophisticated they are just imitating grown ups around them and they are nothing but another poor version of the preppy kids. It is an act and not real but because they see people on tv act that way they believe acting that way will bring success automatically.
Then they discover this world don't have a place for everyone and it is time to grow up and become yourself.

I can't do indoor things outdoors, I'm too busy concentrating on what's going on around me. I've seen people reading books while walking down the street. How do you get to that level of disociation?

I can't do indoor things outdoors, I'm too busy concentrating on what's going on around me. I've seen people reading books while walking down the street. How do you get to that level of disociation?
First, find a really good book...

It's not about military service specifically but these people are sheltered from day one and here we call such parents curling parents. You would benefit greatly from getting up early and having some exercise and being shouted at. Maybe you would be like me and actually go through all that with those in charge trying to break you down but failing cause you are so fit in mind, body and soul.
As for sophisticated they are just imitating grown ups around them and they are nothing but another poor version of the preppy kids. It is an act and not real but because they see people on tv act that way they believe acting that way will bring success automatically.
Then they discover this world don't have a place for everyone and it is time to grow up and become yourself.
There is no such thing as 'yourself'.
It is a delusion of consciousness.

Not at all just my personal experience but even before that happened this was debated like crazy here and abroad on tv and in papers and so on. In UK the debate is the same as in Sweden and peoples experience of 90's kids is fascinating. 90's kids are victims of kindergarten and schools telling them they are perfect and can be anything. The whole debate should point toward that and not the individuals.
Not that you were ever interested in debate or knowledge and so on but you love to get yourself involved in things cause of your obvious need to display your obvious shortcomings.
Easy tiger.

“ Have you ever met anyone who has told you, 'I've not accepted myself'? I doubt it.”

Yes, I did. It was me and it took me some time to realise it. I feel much better now but the issue itself is very interesting in an artistic sense as well.

As when you realise it is a good subject for any one wanting to express themselves. You can’t if you’re not staring the issue in the face.
Look into the inner mirror.
But not too long.

But in fact you are hitting the nail on the head. In general NOBODY would EVER say that to someone else in the social circle he or she lives in.

That is the issue, for me.

Oh about the catastrophe nobody can prepare themselves for.
Look at the link Urbie posted.

On Twitter people are archiving their catastrophes like having a paper cut on their finger so the agony of having that pain when they keep posting and soldiering on.

So I wonder what would happen if a real catastrophe hit them. In stead of the drama queen nonsense that are posted in the link of the 27 problems of the middle class. It is funny but also utter nonsense.

Social media have become a necessary tool to confirm your identity, one people think they desperately need.

I am aware that to some extent this is also becoming true for me cause for what other reasons am I posting here?

It worries me that even I can’t escape that. Still figuring out how to do that.
At least I am searching for it.
Hey QQQ,
I have say I do not believe in the 'self'.
You can only define yourself by what you are doing now.
Searching for some 'lost' identity is an attempt to change.
If it's not too personal for the wallboard, can you tell me what you are searching for?

Well if they're successfully walking down the street and reading I'd argue that they're not that disassociated. That said reading outside is a great thing. You feel different soaking in sunshine and feeling the wind and breathing fresh air and it affects of you feel about what you're reading. It can als be nice when the setting augments what you're reading. If youre reading cormac McCarthy or Walden its interesting to be in nature. Same with reading certain urban novels while sitting at a sidewalk cafe blanketed by noise

Well if they're successfully walking down the street and reading I'd argue that they're not that disassociated. That said reading outside is a great thing. You feel different soaking in sunshine and feeling the wind and breathing fresh air and it affects of you feel about what you're reading. It can als be nice when the setting augments what you're reading. If youre reading cormac McCarthy or Walden its interesting to be in nature. Same with reading certain urban novels while sitting at a sidewalk cafe blanketed by noise
Fair enough. I suppose it's my Northern working class fear of appearing intellectual in public. If we have a nice summer I might give it a go in a secluded area of the arboretum. The last time I flashed a book outdoors was Stig Of The Dump circa 1980 at Stragglethorpe Campsite.......I don't think there were any witnesses.

Fair enough. I suppose it's my Northern working class fear of appearing intellectual in public. If we have a nice summer I might give it a go in a secluded area of the arboretum. The last time I flashed a book outdoors was Stig Of The Dump circa 1980 at Stragglethorpe Campsite.......I don't think there were any witnesses.

Yeah just cause you’re outside doesn’t mean there needs to be lots of people around. Honestly though I’ve always felt invisible when reading around people in public. Maybe it’s an American difference but I do t think a lot of people here equate reading with intellectualism anymore. Maybe there all just to busy looking at there phones to notice anyone else these day and just to tie this into the ongoing anti tech whippersnapper discussion I’ll note that i was reading in a coffee shop as I do every Monday and wensday while my son is at preschool and I noticed a young guy with his skate board and matching outfit take a seat not far from me with a large book. He then promptly took out his phone and didn’t touch the book for the hour and a half I was there reading and sometimes watching him ( which I guess negates a bit my point above). He was probably there somewhat to be seen reading in public the way a young person does sometimes but I couldn’t help but think that if he didn’t have his phone with him his pose might have actually lead to him opening the book and at least reading something

Back
Top Bottom