Birmingham - Genting Arena (Feb. 27, 2018) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / Suedehead / I Wish You Lonely / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / The Bullfighter Dies / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / When You Open Your Legs / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I Bury The Living / Back On The Chain Gang / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Spent The Day In Bed / Jack The Ripper / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / Hold On To Your Friends / Home Is A Question Mark / How Soon Is Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Speedway // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist provided by Famous when dead.

• Morrissey on irresistible form at the Genting Arena - review, setlist and more by James Rodger (5 photos) - Birmingham Live. Link posted by an anonymous person.

42353_birmingham.jpg
  • Morrissey, Genting Arena, Birmingham - review with pics by Tom Oakley (12 photos by Dave Cox) - Express & Star. Link posted by Famous when dead.
  • Morrissey review – this once charming man by Kitty Empire (2 of 5 stars, 1 photo by Andrew Fox) - The Observer. Link posted by Uncleskinny (original post).

Last edited:
For the attention of:

Mr Steven Patrick Morrissey
Mr Boz Boorer
Mr Jesse Tobias
Mr Mando Lopez
Mr Matt Walker
Mr Gustavo Mansur

Dear Sirs.

Good evening. My name is 'BrummieBoy' and I am an Internet Demon. You will recall I issue very clear and very emphatic instructions to you all to immediately cease and desist from any further outrages against musical and lyrical taste and decency. It has come to my attention that you have flagrantly ignored this final warning and are now 'on tour' in the United Kingdom. In fact, my Secretary informs me that you are all huddled in the tiresome Genting Arena in Birmingham tonight for one of these sacriligeous performances. Sharon said she had some freebie tickets from ***** at Universal and would I like to go? Like? I'd like it as much as I'd like my teeth pulled out with nail clippers, dear. If 'Morrissey' and his band of loopy-tune Dad Rock twits were to turn up outside my house and start 'performing' I'd close the blinds, draw the drapes then summon the environmental pollution officer from Malvern Town Council to stop their nonsense.

An associate of Sharon's then surmised whether or not it would be fun to stage an ironic 'protest' at tonight's show to highlight the multiple crimes against taste and deceny which Morrissey is guilty of, especially his bogus claims to be an animal rights advocate. I had to very firmly remind him that #VegAnarchyInTheUK will do all that with panache, impaling both Morrissey and John Lydon on it's pitchfork-pronged punk metal 3 minute blast against fakery, punk rock Boomers and losers using animal rights issues to flog product, whether that's butter or blathering singalongs like 'Meat Is Murder'. Further, any such 'protests' against this vile charlatan 'Morrissey' would be playing into his hands as it would give him the attention he so feverously craves. Do not feed the troll!

I shall spend the evening relaxing on the sofa after a strenuous month travelling around Europe to watch 20 shows by Nils Frahm. There really is more to music than big-headed singers who pollute your mind with their endless personality crises. I have yet to decide whether or not 'Veganarchy In The UK' will be an instrumental to protest The Hegemony Of The Voice in modern popular music. I may allow some vocoder voices or I may openly impersonate and mock both Morrissey and Lydon by lampooning them with karaoke impressions similar to Kurt Cobain on TOTP with his hilarious slow-drone 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'.
Sharon handed me an A4 sheet with the recent set-lists. What kind of stupidity is involved in somebody voluntarily allowing themselves to be in the same room as these clowns when they strike up 'I Bury The Living'? And paying for that torment? Christ on a fcukin bike!

I had so much fun on this site and I'd like to, once again, extend my thanks to David Tseng for not giving two f***s about Morrissey's whining. I'd also like to confirm that the dire warnings of trolls that they would doxx BrummieBoy have come to naught. You can't doxx someone who's openly visible on the interwebz, darling! I'm also able to confirm that I haven't heard a peep from Morrissey's clown-camp and don't expect to: Unless and until 'VegAnarchy In The UK' is a 'hit' in which case the incorrigible troll Morrissey will feign ignorance of my writings on this site despite studying them like the Bible and will attempt to hook on to any rising response to desperately feed his ego and fantasy of being 'current and contemporary'. He is a has-been. A total flake. If you've paid to go and see him in Birmingham tonight, you're probably just realising you've made an awful mistake as the discordant racket begins to pulse from the speakers.

Enough! The portal must now close, ZoZo! You promised me I wouldn't have to do this anymore but I accept your QWERTYOuija rationale that the final post from Brummieboy debunking Morrissey should be made just as his arthritic pseudo-radical artsy fartsy singalongaSmiths malarkey begins in Birmingham. The city suffered under the Nazis. We'll cope with this sonic blitz tonight but it's sad that there are still delusional cult members prepared to stumble towards that Corporate Rock Whore Shed known as The Genting Arena at the National Exhibition Centre.

With every good wish
yours, in perpetuity

BrummieBoy aka Andy aka Alfie

21:05 Tuesday 27 February 2018

NB: Here are the relevant excerpts from my edict to Morrissey ordering him to stop all this nonsense. He has not complied. He will learn that when the Pope Of Pop issues an edict, it is best to obey. I also note that there are 'alerts' advising me of various responses to my comments. Do not delude yourselves that they were read nor that any replies to this communication will be read, however this site will be checked by Sharon periodically to see if Steven Patrick Morrissey is delusional enough to publicly take on 'BrummieBoy' and has attempted to serve any paperwork even though I'm visible from Mars on the interwebs as you all know. Funny, that, isn't it? Not one of you littel twerps have turned up at my door to 'protest on behalf of Morrissey'. Take my advice, don't. You will not get back to the bus alive....

'Any further provocations in the form of gratuitiously offensive public appearances at 'concerts' or further audio outrages released into the collective ether will result in an entirely more severe level of cursing and hexes to match your petty vexations against music, taste, decency and art.
. Enough is truly enough so just pack up and fcuk right off the stage, lads. Forever.
Caveat: I am in no doubt you will all resign yourselves to copious anti-psychotic medication regimes to Carry On with your delusionality despite this wake-up call from consensual reality orchestrated by ZoZo-Brummie Boy. Perhaps the 'band' will also stagger on with their diva singer-leader, their wounds staunched by prescription chemicals, vainly and pointlessly slogging on, ignoring the smirks of the Audience that will now only attend to mock and giggle at the vast tragic humiliation which has unfolded via BB/ZoZo. So mote if be, if that is what All-That-Is decrees. '

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...17-ser-youtube.141558/page-43#post-1987054081

If you think anyone is going to read this desperate nonsense, then you're beyond help. Another successful arena tour for Morrissey! Suck it up.

For the attention of:

Mr Boz Boorer
Mr Jesse Tobias
Mr Mando Lopez
Mr Matt Walker
Mr Gustavo Mansur

Dear Sirs.

Good evening. My name is 'BrummieBoy' and I am an Internet Demon.

TL:DR

Short version: Skinny is back. :crazy:

I’m tucked up in The Hilton 2 minutes walk from The Genting Arena. So convenient.

Friendly staff, great view from the seats, good sound, wide choice of food and (alcoholic) drinks, free WiFi. What’s not to like?

As for Moz...new stuff sounded great. His voice was strong. The ad-libbing/constant changing of lyrics interrupted the flow of a sing along a bit but all in all a great evening on the outskirts of Birmingham!
Good wifi at a concert you're supposed to be watching. Riiiight.

Good wifi at a concert you're supposed to be watching. Riiiight.

Oh I watched, absorbed and partook in the concert...fully. However there is such a thing as time prior to the concert. I unexpectedly travelled solo for this gig. Nothing wrong with enjoying the facilities.

I maintain that gig crowds have become more santiaised. I was begging for a collective leap up and down, a chorus anything. Awful. How have crowds changed so much in half a decade?
I left Ireland around '98 to go to Oz for a few years. In the 3 to 4 years I was gone Ireland completely changed. All these young upstarts wearing the best suits (that they couldn't afford) and spending money (not theirs) hand over fist. People started sounding less Irish too, and I reckon we lost 50% of our culture. People going to concerts and spending the whole time on their phone tweeting about being there. Liking Ed Sheeran is now 'having a taste in music'. None of which really bothers me, but I wish those people would stay away from Moz concerts so that (1) the tickets are cheaper, and (2) I don't have to listen to them while I'm waiting for Moz to arrive, and (3) I prefer to be surrounded by fans who react to the live music.

'Has the world changed or have I changed?'

Oh I watched, absorbed and partook in the concert...fully. However there is such a thing as time prior to the concert. I unexpectedly travelled solo for this gig. Nothing wrong with enjoying the facilities.
Yah you're right. I even posted a message on Moz Solo after I arrived at the Dublin gig. Sorry for the mini-rant. I always regret my insults on Moz Solo! Oh well I'll never learn.

This thread is loaded with old people's rants. Please accept the behaviour of the new generation, which in fact is quite civilized and it's a sign they went there just to enjoy the artist and his music. Besides, you old people seem to have a lot of problems with "girlfriends". Well, get used to it. We are here to stay.

More than happy for you to try and barge past me, regardless if my missus is with me or not, just apply the same standards of acceptable physicality when I give you a clip mate yeah?

Barging past a female half your size and weight is not punk, it’s not radical and it’s not an entitlement.

It’s called being a c***.

Explicitly said I didn't barge. Girls aren't dainty wallflowers you know. A brush of the shoulder isn't a shot to the heart, sharing oxygen with a stranger at the front of an auditorium isn't nuclear warfare. Stop patronising girls.

For the attention of:

Mr Boz Boorer
Mr Jesse Tobias
Mr Mando Lopez
Mr Matt Walker
Mr Gustavo Mansur

Dear Sirs.

Good evening. My name is 'BrummieBoy' and I am an Internet Demon. You will recall I issue very clear and very emphatic instructions to you all to immediately cease and desist from any further outrages against musical and lyrical taste and decency. It has come to my attention that you have flagrantly ignored this final warning and are now 'on tour' in the United Kingdom. In fact, my Secretary informs me that you are all huddled in the tiresome Genting Arena in Birmingham tonight for one of these sacriligeous performances. Sharon said she had some freebie tickets from ***** at Universal and would I like to go? Like? I'd like it as much as I'd like my teeth pulled out with nail clippers, dear. If 'Morrissey' and his band of loopy-tune Dad Rock twits were to turn up outside my house and start 'performing' I'd close the blinds, draw the drapes then summon the environmental pollution officer from Malvern Town Council to stop their nonsense.

An associate of Sharon's then surmised whether or not it would be fun to stage an ironic 'protest' at tonight's show to highlight the multiple crimes against taste and deceny which Morrissey is guilty of, especially his bogus claims to be an animal rights advocate. I had to very firmly remind him that #VegAnarchyInTheUK will do all that with panache, impaling both Morrissey and John Lydon on it's pitchfork-pronged punk metal 3 minute blast against fakery, punk rock Boomers and losers using animal rights issues to flog product, whether that's butter or blathering singalongs like 'Meat Is Murder'. Further, any such 'protests' against this vile charlatan 'Morrissey' would be playing into his hands as it would give him the attention he so feverously craves. Do not feed the troll!

I shall spend the evening relaxing on the sofa after a strenuous month travelling around Europe to watch 20 shows by Nils Frahm. There really is more to music than big-headed singers who pollute your mind with their endless personality crises. I have yet to decide whether or not 'Veganarchy In The UK' will be an instrumental to protest The Hegemony Of The Voice in modern popular music. I may allow some vocoder voices or I may openly impersonate and mock both Morrissey and Lydon by lampooning them with karaoke impressions similar to Kurt Cobain on TOTP with his hilarious slow-drone 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'.
Sharon handed me an A4 sheet with the recent set-lists. What kind of stupidity is involved in somebody voluntarily allowing themselves to be in the same room as these clowns when they strike up 'I Bury The Living'? And paying for that torment? Christ on a fcukin bike!

I had so much fun on this site and I'd like to, once again, extend my thanks to David Tseng for not giving two f***s about Morrissey's whining. I'd also like to confirm that the dire warnings of trolls that they would doxx BrummieBoy have come to naught. You can't doxx someone who's openly visible on the interwebz, darling! I'm also able to confirm that I haven't heard a peep from Morrissey's clown-camp and don't expect to: Unless and until 'VegAnarchy In The UK' is a 'hit' in which case the incorrigible troll Morrissey will feign ignorance of my writings on this site despite studying them like the Bible and will attempt to hook on to any rising response to desperately feed his ego and fantasy of being 'current and contemporary'. He is a has-been. A total flake. If you've paid to go and see him in Birmingham tonight, you're probably just realising you've made an awful mistake as the discordant racket begins to pulse from the speakers.

Enough! The portal must now close, ZoZo! You promised me I wouldn't have to do this anymore but I accept your QWERTYOuija rationale that the final post from Brummieboy debunking Morrissey should be made just as his arthritic pseudo-radical artsy fartsy singalongaSmiths malarkey begins in Birmingham. The city suffered under the Nazis. We'll cope with this sonic blitz tonight but it's sad that there are still delusional cult members prepared to stumble towards that Corporate Rock Whore Shed known as The Genting Arena at the National Exhibition Centre.

With every good wish
yours, in perpetuity

BrummieBoy aka Andy aka Alfie

21:05 Tuesday 27 February 2018

NB: Here are the relevant excerpts from my edict to Morrissey ordering him to stop all this nonsense. He has not complied. He will learn that when the Pope Of Pop issues an edict, it is best to obey. I also note that there are 'alerts' advising me of various responses to my comments. Do not delude yourselves that they were read nor that any replies to this communication will be read, however this site will be checked by Sharon periodically to see if Steven Patrick Morrissey is delusional enough to publicly take on 'BrummieBoy' and has attempted to serve any paperwork even though I'm visible from Mars on the interwebs as you all know. Funny, that, isn't it? Not one of you littel twerps have turned up at my door to 'protest on behalf of Morrissey'. Take my advice, don't. You will not get back to the bus alive....

'Any further provocations in the form of gratuitiously offensive public appearances at 'concerts' or further audio outrages released into the collective ether will result in an entirely more severe level of cursing and hexes to match your petty vexations against music, taste, decency and art.
. Enough is truly enough so just pack up and fcuk right off the stage, lads. Forever.
Caveat: I am in no doubt you will all resign yourselves to copious anti-psychotic medication regimes to Carry On with your delusionality despite this wake-up call from consensual reality orchestrated by ZoZo-Brummie Boy. Perhaps the 'band' will also stagger on with their diva singer-leader, their wounds staunched by prescription chemicals, vainly and pointlessly slogging on, ignoring the smirks of the Audience that will now only attend to mock and giggle at the vast tragic humiliation which has unfolded via BB/ZoZo. So mote if be, if that is what All-That-Is decrees. '

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...17-ser-youtube.141558/page-43#post-1987054081

Yawn...is that the time? Really? Must have dropped off for a minute...x

This thread is loaded with old people's rants. Please accept the behaviour of the new generation, which in fact is quite civilized and it's a sign they went there just to enjoy the artist and his music. Besides, you old people seem to have a lot of problems with "girlfriends". Well, get used to it. We are here to stay.

I agree despite being (quite) old. Morrissey is not the same person he was 20 to 25 years ago. Nor are his audience. Times change, trends move on. Nothing sadder when I was younger than seeing someone who should be old enough to know better barge their way to the front and then struggle with the madness of the front rows due to being relatively unfit.

If you want a mosh pit go and see Napalm Death or something

Explicitly said I didn't barge. Girls aren't dainty wallflowers you know. A brush of the shoulder isn't a shot to the heart, sharing oxygen with a stranger at the front of an auditorium isn't nuclear warfare. Stop patronising girls.

It's a tricky one. Being a dedicated follower does not give you entitlement to stand at the front, but it is the dedicated followers who create the atmosphere needed at the arena gigs.

It's always been like it though. I was stood next to a bloke at the 2004 MEN Arena show who resolutely stood stone faced and motionless, clutching his plastic pint, for the entire concert. He didn't clap, cheer, sing...anything. Just stood there, like a guppy fish at feeding time, staring at the stage and refusing to join in the general bonhomie.

I've often thought that it was probably Skinny. It wasn't Benny or Brum...he had hair and didn't smell of Old Spice.

With all due respect, it's a f***ing concert, if I want to jump up and down then I will. If you want to stand in 3 ft of personal space, get to the back or buy a seat.

I have no regrets about turning up and getting as close as I can. Life's a bitch.

"If you want a mosh pit go and see Napalm Death or something"

or wait until after the show & head towards the merch area (that's been my experience n the states)

It was exactly the same at Newcastle ladt Friday. Lots of wimpy wallflowers and their girlfriends who were offended when i tried to step alongside them. Must be the same dullards ;)
You cant say that about the Leeds gig.

Hey Countthree, easy on the ageism there!
It's the attitude not the age that's the issue.
Arseholery is blind.
Anyway, don't forget, the very man you went to see perform is also 'of an age'.

Here’s the sad thing: by common consent, he seeems to be in the finest voice, possibly of his life. I get that he unflinchingly wants to sing his new material, and kudos to him for that. But it will be a source of no little sadness if we don’t get a reprise of some of the diamonds in his back-catalogue when he is in such fine fettle. Imagine TIALTNGO, still ill, I know it’s over, my dearest love even, while the pipes run golden. Sigh.

Here’s the sad thing: by common consent, he seeems to be in the finest voice, possibly of his life. I get that he unflinchingly wants to sing his new material, and kudos to him for that. But it will be a source of no little sadness if we don’t get a reprise of some of the diamonds in his back-catalogue when he is in such fine fettle. Imagine TIALTNGO, still ill, I know it’s over, my dearest love even, while the pipes run golden. Sigh.
Don't be sad Anon.
Here, sit at my knee and attend.
Let me share my contrary emotions to your attestation.
He is not of the Rolling Stones/Who ilk.
Walking player piano (or pianola if you prefer).
Making coin from past endeavour.
Ney, he is a working artist, still writing, still creating.
My Anon, I task you to enquire of any artist, 'what is your most important work?'
And be assured his answer will be a whisper but certain, 'The work in progress'.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom