Birmingham - Genting Arena (Feb. 27, 2018) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / Suedehead / I Wish You Lonely / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / The Bullfighter Dies / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / When You Open Your Legs / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I Bury The Living / Back On The Chain Gang / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Spent The Day In Bed / Jack The Ripper / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / Hold On To Your Friends / Home Is A Question Mark / How Soon Is Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Speedway // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist provided by Famous when dead.

• Morrissey on irresistible form at the Genting Arena - review, setlist and more by James Rodger (5 photos) - Birmingham Live. Link posted by an anonymous person.

42353_birmingham.jpg
  • Morrissey, Genting Arena, Birmingham - review with pics by Tom Oakley (12 photos by Dave Cox) - Express & Star. Link posted by Famous when dead.
  • Morrissey review – this once charming man by Kitty Empire (2 of 5 stars, 1 photo by Andrew Fox) - The Observer. Link posted by Uncleskinny (original post).

Last edited:
BUT, unlike some people here, Morrissey likes younger generations and he accepts them just as they are.
If a dog walks into your house and shits on the carpet you don't just 'accept them just as they are'. Same for asswipes talking away all through concerts and posing for selfies. With that said, I didn't see much of that at the Moz Dublin concert this time (compared to the World Peace concert), apart from a lot of planks standing upright without facial expression. I wouldn't even hazard a guess at the age demographic for the planks, I'd say it was across the board. Pardon the pun.

Nothing like a bit of ageism from someone bemoaning ageism. You don't even know the ages of people posting here. If people in their 30's and 40's are old then I feel sorry for you, because it will happen to you before you know it. We are not whinging about the new generation, we are whinging about the way cretins behave at concerts and the modern fascination with being seen to be seen. If you can't acknowledge that as a fact I don't know what to say. I find most twenty something's very likable and far more sophisticated and aware than I was at that age, and probably I'd say the same for teenagers. At the same time, there is a contingent of people who have zero attention span and would hack off an arm before giving up their phone. Now what was I saying again? p.s. I'm writing this on a laptop, just to be different.
She's bitter cause she was not born or in diapers when Moz meant something and we were there and she was not. The kids her generation tend to be history revisionists and because they were not there have this need to change what really went on to suit their political belief. Imagine discovering Moz recently when his career was over and his real fans stopped listening long ago. The inability for her generation to find their own heroes and follow a man older than the ones she is attacking here is ironic beyond belief but I like the entertainment.

BUT, unlike some people here, Morrissey likes younger generations and he accepts them just as they are.
Hang on now, Moz has attacked young people and other people too a lot in recent years. In fact, he attacks people over their behaviour and how they look and what political belief they have all the time. You really need to take off the Moz glasses and wake up. Why is your young generation having this idea that Morrissey is about love and peace and harmony when he sings about killers and gangsters and make political statements that challenge yours big time.
You're Bambi on ice here and your name's not even Danny Welbeck.

giphy.gif

Nothing like a bit of ageism from someone bemoaning ageism. You don't even know the ages of people posting here. If people in their 30's and 40's are old then I feel sorry for you, because it will happen to you before you know it. We are not whinging about the new generation, we are whinging about the way cretins behave at concerts and the modern fascination with being seen to be seen. If you can't acknowledge that as a fact I don't know what to say. I find most twenty something's very likable and far more sophisticated and aware than I was at that age, and probably I'd say the same for teenagers. At the same time, there is a contingent of people who have zero attention span and would hack off an arm before giving up their phone. Now what was I saying again? p.s. I'm writing this on a laptop, just to be different.
Excellent post Acton.
Point well made.
By the way, do you live in Acton? (lovely town hall).

He likes no one but himself and doesn't exactly hide it either and the one you responded to is right cause you young ones always confuse age with attitude which is what this is all about. A big reason for the young ones being the way they are is cause they unlike older generations never had to do military service for their country and so they mentally are still kids. I can just see what would happen if we had a big crisis and these kids would search for an app to save them.
Have to disagree with you there Russian Olympics Gold (may I call you Russian?).
It is a truism that older generations will always bemoan the next crop.
What frightens them is that a new generation will always find their own way and abandon many things that are habitual and even precious to the previous lot.
It's wrong to make value judgments. It's just new.
And it's good that it alienates us.
Change is essential.
Indeed, I find youngies these days are far more sophisticated that I was when their age.
And what's so great about military service for gods sake.
All that shooting, getting up early, exercising and being shouted at.
Ghastly.

Last edited:
Not just you. It certainly seems to be dividing people. I'm pretty nonplussed with a big chunk of it. Weirdly I can't stand all the ones most people seem to like (Home is a Q, I Wish You Lonely, My Love, I Bury, Who Will Protect) and quite like some of the ones people say mark the point where the album goes wrong (Spent, In Your Lap, The Girl From Tel Aviv, Israel). I guess that's called personal taste.
Just to confuse things even further I love home is a Q, I wish you lonely, in your lap, Tel-Aviv and Israel and can’t stand spent the day in bed, I bury, or who will protect, as you say it’s all down to personal taste

I'm exactly in the opposite side of ageism. That's why I wrote that post. A lot of people here are ranting about people younger than them, just for not behaving like they used to do 10, 20 or 30 yeas ago during the concerts. I hate when younger people discriminate older ones in the manner of Bioy Casares' The Diary of The War of The Pig. But the opposite is very upsetting too. Especially because older people should be wiser, since they already were young, so they should know the feeling of it and the need to be different and express it in a peculiar way. It's very nice when young people can appreciate good artists like Morrissey. I think that is a sign they are smart, we should be happy they support Morrissey just as tbey do. So, please, embrace their presence and accept them just as they are.

No score.
By Tom Oakley.
Lots of good pictures:

AJGVC5E3B5HGDKKW4QW7D3SC2U.jpg

"There were mixed opinions from his rally of fans walking away from the venue and while there's no doubt a night filled with Smiths singles wouldn't go amiss, he sure knows how to make a stage his own.

He might be edging nearer to 60 and despite being treated for cancer in recent years – there’s certainly no stopping Stephen Patrick Morrissey anytime soon."

https://www.expressandstar.com/ente...-genting-arena-birmingham---review-with-pics/

Regards,
FWD.

No you just get on a fking train to London. Ally Pally or Brixton. Genting is my nearest venue but no way I'm going there it's just SHIT....

It’s not ‘shit’ it’s just not to your taste. Maybe it lacks character but it beats the pain in the arse Ally Pally is to get home from (especially to Birmingham) and the dubious area Brixton Academy is situated. Genting more than ticked a lot of boxes for me last night.

I'm exactly in the opposite side of ageism. That's why I wrote that post. A lot of people here are ranting about people younger than them, just for not behaving like they used to do 10, 20 or 30 yeas ago during the concerts. I hate when younger people discriminate older ones in the manner of Bioy Casares' The Diary of The War of The Pig. But the opposite is very upsetting too. Especially because older people should be wiser, since they already were young, so they should know the feeling of it and the need to be different and express it in a peculiar way. It's very nice when young people can appreciate good artists like Morrissey. I think that is a sign they are smart, we should be happy they support Morrissey just as tbey do. So, please, embrace their presence and accept them just as they are.
The queen of contradiction strikes again!

Have to disagree with you there Russian Olympics Gold (may I call you Russian?).
It is a truism that older generations will always bemoan the next crop.
What frightens them is that a new generation will always find their own way and abandon many things that are habitual and even precious to the previous lot.
It's wrong to make value judgments. It's just new.
And it's good that it alienates us.
Change is essential.
Indeed, I find youngies these days are far more sophisticated that I was when their age.
And what's so great about military service for gods sake.
All that shooting, getting up early, exercising and being shouted at.
Ghastly.
Not at all and many generations younger than me have passed by without notice and it is the 90's generation that bothers not only me but owners of companies to the extreme it is debated now and then in media as well.
This is a change we can live without and we will.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom